Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 06:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Just what is your beef with Texas? Seriously, I've never heard of this massive influx of Texans. If so, it's mostly Texans who can afford to live in CA because of job offers and relocation. If anything Texas is taking in a huge influx of Californians.

I don't think the OP wanted to paint CA as scary, cus it's not, but rising crime has been a bit of an issue in the major cities, especially after years of falling crime since the 90s. Now there has been an uptick. What's wrong with bringing that up?
What is my beef with them?

In real life(not CD) I have run across several Texans who have transplanted themselves to CA.

Just one example(there are several), a Houston transplant who butted into a private conversation says how he finds LA to a be quote unquote " a s**thole"....,OK he's entitled to his opinion, he repeated that comment twice when it was ignored the first time. When I asked "why do you live and remain in LA?"...crickets. Kind of like the OP.

Again this isn't an isolated incident, and certainly Texans aren't the only ones who pull this, I don't get whining about a place you live all the time, but yet they remain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
He's Irish-American and grew up in the New York City area. Generally speaking, Irish-Americans, in particular those from the Northeast, hate the South because the South is mostly Protestant, British-descended, Republican and non-unionized.
I am kind to everyone until they give me a reason not to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 06:36 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What is my beef with them?

In real life(not CD) I have run across several Texans who have transplanted themselves to CA.

Just one example(there are several), a Houston transplant who butted into a private conversation says how he finds LA to a be quote unquote " a s**thole"....,OK he's entitled to his opinion, he repeated that comment twice when it was ignored the first time. When I asked "why do you live and remain in LA?"...crickets. Kind of like the OP.

Again this isn't an isolated incident, and certainly Texans aren't the only ones who pull this, I don't get whining about a place you live all the time, but yet they remain.

I am kind to everyone until they give me a reason not to be.
Well you got one Texan right here who loves CA and am willing to admit that CA is the best probably that the world has to offer. I don't have beef with Californians especially the natives. They've always been awesome to me. Transplants can be a hit or miss and that includes people from Texas. I don't like ideological boosterism from any state and I get into debates with Texans over the unevenness of the "Texas Economic Miracle" as well with California over their insistence that anything a CA politician proposes is good for CA.
While that Texan you met was a complete jackass, the main thrust for those rude comments are due to the incredible growth and development of the Texas Triangle. If they're from the burbs in that region they'd find LA older, rustic and in need of a power wash. It's an inane noveau-riche like mentality where nothing looks good unless it's new shiny mixed use town center development such as the kind you'd find in Irvine. It's dumb I know but I'm just explaining the reasoning. As for why they won't leave? Proly the opportunity to make more money and the weather.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
That might explain it. I mean it's just a weird pathological hatred some people have with Texas.

I mean if anything there is a case to be made that Northeasterners especially from NYC moved all over the place ruining great places according to locals; South Florida, North Carolina, Southern California. This is all in jest and hyperbolic of course, I mean no offense, but c'mon if he wants to sink that low, how about all the NYers that moved to SoCal and turned it blue, increased corruption, and made the city politics look like a Jersey gutter town. Now they're in Texas too. A huge chunk of Houston's growing population is coming from NYC and NY State.

The wealthy I encounter working with in LA for my work, (I'm in legal), tend to be or have roots from the Northeast. Many talk about NYC being a "real" city. Natives are practically "townies" to some of them.

Sorry but I see Yankees as doing to SoCal what they've done in South FL. Nothing new.
If it makes you feel any better, I have no use for those from NY either who move out here and than do the comparison game or want everything to be the same as NY. Or have a NY "attitude" in stores, etc.

I was born in NYC, I moved to CA almost 30 years ago. If I had wanted NY I would have stayed there.

Again, I don't get people who move here of their own free will and than do nothing but complain about the place.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, I have no use for those from NY either who move out here and than do the comparison game or want everything to be the same as NY. Or have a NY "attitude" in stores, etc.

I was born in NYC, I moved to CA almost 30 years ago. If I had wanted NY I would have stayed there.

Again, I don't get people who move here of their own free will and than do nothing but complain about the place.
Well then you and I share more in common because out of all the California naysayers the NYers can be among the most annoying.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Well you got one Texan right here who loves CA and am willing to admit that CA is the best probably that the world has to offer. I don't have beef with Californians especially the natives. They've always been awesome to me. Transplants can be a hit or miss and that includes people from Texas. I don't like ideological boosterism from any state and I get into debates with Texans over the unevenness of the "Texas Economic Miracle" as well with California over their insistence that anything a CA politician proposes is good for CA.
While that Texan you met was a complete jackass, the main thrust for those rude comments are due to the incredible growth and development of the Texas Triangle. If they're from the burbs in that region they'd find LA older, rustic and in need of a power wash. It's an inane noveau-riche like mentality where nothing looks good unless it's new shiny mixed use town center development such as the kind you'd find in Irvine. It's dumb I know but I'm just explaining the reasoning. As for why they won't leave? Proly the opportunity to make more money and the weather.
CA natives for the most part are down to earth, it's recent transplants(from all over) who can be problematic.

I agree with you.

But I am not basing my comments about Texans who live in CA on just one or two incidents, I can think of dozens over the years. And I mean dozens.....LOL.

I try and attend the TCM Film Festival doing stand by tickets every year. Met two women from TX that I was sitting next to, within in 5 minutes one says for no reason at all "LA isn't all that", I hadn't said it was. TX has a lot of decent folks, but there are also a lot who think TX is all that and a bag of chips.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:51 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Comeon. Texans are Texans. They been annoying the rest of us since they pushed the Mexicans out.

They have a certain charm and fit in equally badly everywhere...but we should still cherish them. Among other reasons because they hate to be cherished.

And when you break it on down they are not Southern...they are Texan. And it is not a semantic difference. They don't fit in "Southern" and never will. They are Texans.

I lived two days a week in Dallas for a couple of years. I am in one of my slices a southerner...and after a couple of days I speak pretty good Texan...or at least good enough that a Texan would not detect the underlying Yankee. My assistant, a born and bred Texan from way east of Dallas thought it was remarkable. I did not. The Texan wants to be Southern but is simply not laid back enough to deal with the role.

Californians roll right over Texans and never notice. And a Texan in Southern CA for a couple of years vanishes into the maw.

Last edited by lvmensch; 04-25-2017 at 07:54 PM..

Old 04-25-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
CA natives for the most part are down to earth, it's recent transplants(from all over) who can be problematic.

I agree with you.

But I am not basing my comments about Texans who live in CA on just one or two incidents, I can think of dozens over the years. And I mean dozens.....LOL.

I try and attend the TCM Film Festival doing stand by tickets every year. Met two women from TX that I was sitting next to, within in 5 minutes one says for no reason at all "LA isn't all that", I hadn't said it was. TX has a lot of decent folks, but there are also a lot who think TX is all that and a bag of chips.
LOL, yes, I agree with you and that's because Texas's new economic growth has given Texans room to brag. I mean you have no idea what it was like to live in Texas twenty years ago. It was the sticks and probably made living in Bakersfield seem like Beverly Hills. Yet, in the span of near two decades it went from a one industry cowpoke state, to 2nd biggest economic giant behind CA. That makes a lot of Texans prideful and they like their things nice and shiny, so a lot of the rustic charm of places like LA and SF just doesn't appeal to Texans despite the history and the opinions of about 99% of the world. That iconoclastic stubborn mentality makes a lot of people hate Texans and I can see why.

Look at it this way. It's though California is Italy or Europe with it's history and culture, and Texas developed sort of like Dubai or the Gulf countries in the Mid East. The latter have sparkly shiny newly developed cities with citizens who like all the nice shiny cookie cutter things. Some of them love visiting Europe or even living there for some time but they talk bad about Europe because it's older and a bit grimier. It's similar.

Or if you didn't know, a better example is the South American rivalry of Chile vs Argentina. The latter has always been known as the center of Latin American culture. It has a glamorous history with a culture that far outpaces the rest of the continent. The former has just recently come into it's own and has become an economic powerhouse rivaling the bigger nations in Latin America. Chileans developed a sense of pride because of it and wear it on their sleeve scoffing at the beauty of Argentina and Buenos Aires as older, more corrupt and overpriced. The Argentineans look at them as though they're being immature.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
The Texan wants to be Southern but is simply not laid back enough to deal with the role.
Spot on. You nailed it. Texans aren't Southern as much as they claim to be. The culture is more like a Southwestern fried version of NYC, very loud, prideful and extroverted. It's a very jabby, frat boy-ish, culture that can almost seem bully-ish but it's mostly cus the state has a very extroverted culture. A lot of people do not like that. I can understand why and failed to understand for a long time because I thought that everyone loved extroverted personalities but they don't. The world is way more introverted than I imagined.

I remember the first two years of working in California, my CA co-workers were mixed on my personality. Most said I was "fratt-ish" as in like a frat boy, and I was stunned. I had never thought of myself that way and never once thought of joining a frat.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:57 PM

51 posts, read 75,159 times
Quote:
LOL, yes, I agree with you and that's because Texas's new economic growth has given Texans room to brag. I mean you have no idea what it was like to live in Texas twenty years ago. It was the sticks and probably made living in Bakersfield seem like Beverly Hills. Yet, in the span of near two decades it went from a one industry cowpoke state, to 2nd biggest economic giant behind CA. That makes a lot of Texans prideful and they like their things nice and shiny, so a lot of the rustic charm of places like LA and SF just doesn't appeal to Texans despite the history and the opinions of about 99% of the world. That iconoclastic stubborn mentality makes a lot of people hate Texans and I can see why.

Look at it this way. It's though California is Italy or Europe with it's history and culture, and Texas developed sort of like Dubai or the Gulf countries in the Mid East. The latter have sparkly shiny newly developed cities with citizens who like all the nice shiny cookie cutter things. Some of them love visiting Europe or even living there for some time but they talk bad about Europe because it's older and a bit grimier. It's similar.

Or if you didn't know, a better example is the South American rivalry of Chile vs Argentina. The latter has always been known as the center of Latin American culture. It has a glamorous history with a culture that far outpaces the rest of the continent. The former has just recently come into it's own and has become an economic powerhouse rivaling the bigger nations in Latin America. Chileans developed a sense of pride because of it and wear it on their sleeve scoffing at the beauty of Argentina and Buenos Aires as older, more corrupt and overpriced. The Argentineans look at them as though they're being immature.
I definitely agree with your commentary about how Texans like new and shiny town center like suburbs. But if that's what they want it makes no sense to come to LA or SF and then ***** about it. Go move to Temecula or irvine!

Old 04-25-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesdeen View Post
I definitely agree with your commentary about how Texans like new and shiny town center like suburbs. But if that's what they want it makes no sense to come to LA or SF and then ***** about it. Go move to Temecula or irvine!
Very true, but A.) Texans don't know that Temecula exists, and if they did, they'd go apeshiz over it. LOL

B.) Texans love San Diego. I mean just think it's paradise. I tell family back home that I live in LA and they look at me as though I've decided to live in leper colony. But then they interject about how they took a trip to San Diego and would love to live there. Same with the OC. They'll visit the OC and never venture into LA. I ask some of them about their "LA" trip and they say that they spent the whole time in Irvine or Huntington Beach. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California