Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 08:34 PM

500 posts, read 636,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
''While you still can.'' What is that supposed to mean? Are you talking about before a huge real estate crash like we had back when Bush (R) and Swartzenegger (R) were in power?
Hah! It was long ago that I got over the illusion of choice that is partisan politics.

It means get out before he wastes decades of his life running the rat race in SoCal only to never get ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 05:33 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Sanctuary City
Nothing is stopping ICE from rounding up illegals in a sanctuary city. Meanwhile, at the end of Reagan's presidency, we had a sanctuary nation.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:09 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Nothing is stopping ICE from rounding up illegals in a sanctuary city. Meanwhile, at the end of Reagan's presidency, we had a sanctuary nation.
Your missing the half of the deal Reagan made with democrats that they failed to uphold.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:18 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
Another concern I see moving forward is the vast amounts of older affordable housing stock in San Diego are being heavily remodeled and converted to condo's at a fast rate.

What happens when eventually all of the older apartments buildings that used to rent for say $1,000-1,200 a month in a lower to middle income area, now suddenly rents for $1,600-2,000 a month? Where are all the people that work in the service industry and other low-wage employment supposed to live?

Cities can't sustain this, and I really wonder why local governments aren't doing more to help stop this from happening. San Diego is in a building frenzy, everywhere you look in this city, construction crews are busy propping up housing projects, yet when you look at the asking prices for all these new apartments, and homes, the only people that come close to being able to afford them are people making close to six figures, and they're all luxury housing complexes.

I feel like GREED is ultimately is what is driving this craze, property owners looking to sell to investment companies or developers that want to redevelop the land, or fix up the property so they can charge more and attract wealthier residents, while the working poor and average person are forced out to the ghettos.

But even area's in San Diego that was affordable 5 years ago, is now becoming more expensive to live in.

Gentrification has finally been completed in many of our urban neighborhoods wiping out most of all the poor minorities. Older businesses that consisted of small mom and pop shops, (dry cleaner, barbers, small markets, tool shops, etc) have all been mostly replaced by loads of breweries, high-end restaurants, trendy hipster joints, Starbucks on every corner, luxury apartments, and loads of White people. 10 years ago, you would see more normal, non-trendy businesses lined up on our main Boulevard, 99 cents stores, cheap clothing stores and what not, are now all gone for the most part in the Mid-City area.

So in effect, I see the continuation of gentrification, and urban renewal efforts in most of CA major cities eventually changing the predicted demographic shifts that the census is using.

I can't see the White population decreasing in San Diego over time like analyst are saying when the only people that can afford to live in this town are White people! I see Hispanics being forced out, and probably moving away from SD in the near future at a high rate. Blacks are barely visible out here unless you go to SouthEast SD, and even then, White people are still predominately more present no matter what part of SD and the County you go to.

It's just so sad and it makes me upset seeing my city being ruined by gentrification and becoming increasingly less affordable for the average Joe. San Diego's urban environment is more generic and repetitive than ever, bland, corporate, less original, branded, and a haven for hipsters and yuppies.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:17 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Another concern I see moving forward is the vast amounts of older affordable housing stock in San Diego are being heavily remodeled and converted to condo's at a fast rate.

What happens when eventually all of the older apartments buildings that used to rent for say $1,000-1,200 a month in a lower to middle income area, now suddenly rents for $1,600-2,000 a month? Where are all the people that work in the service industry and other low-wage employment supposed to live?

Cities can't sustain this, and I really wonder why local governments aren't doing more to help stop this from happening. San Diego is in a building frenzy, everywhere you look in this city, construction crews are busy propping up housing projects, yet when you look at the asking prices for all these new apartments, and homes, the only people that come close to being able to afford them are people making close to six figures, and they're all luxury housing complexes.

I feel like GREED is ultimately is what is driving this craze, property owners looking to sell to investment companies or developers that want to redevelop the land, or fix up the property so they can charge more and attract wealthier residents, while the working poor and average person are forced out to the ghettos.

But even area's in San Diego that was affordable 5 years ago, is now becoming more expensive to live in.

Gentrification has finally been completed in many of our urban neighborhoods wiping out most of all the poor minorities. Older businesses that consisted of small mom and pop shops, (dry cleaner, barbers, small markets, tool shops, etc) have all been mostly replaced by loads of breweries, high-end restaurants, trendy hipster joints, Starbucks on every corner, luxury apartments, and loads of White people. 10 years ago, you would see more normal, non-trendy businesses lined up on our main Boulevard, 99 cents stores, cheap clothing stores and what not, are now all gone for the most part in the Mid-City area.

So in effect, I see the continuation of gentrification, and urban renewal efforts in most of CA major cities eventually changing the predicted demographic shifts that the census is using.

I can't see the White population decreasing in San Diego over time like analyst are saying when the only people that can afford to live in this town are White people! I see Hispanics being forced out, and probably moving away from SD in the near future at a high rate. Blacks are barely visible out here unless you go to SouthEast SD, and even then, White people are still predominately more present no matter what part of SD and the County you go to.

It's just so sad and it makes me upset seeing my city being ruined by gentrification and becoming increasingly less affordable for the average Joe. San Diego's urban environment is more generic and repetitive than ever, bland, corporate, less original, branded, and a haven for hipsters and yuppies.
Greed is the creed today.

Everyone wants more; more money, more cars, more name brand clothes, more visits to Starbuck's, more of everything. This is a major change from the past. In the past, and I am not talking even a 100 years, people bought a home for life. Today it is an investment to be sold so a bigger home can be bought so they have more room for everything they are buying.

Mom and Pop stores can't compete with the major chains buying in huge volume at very cheap prices (and not lowering what they charge) from Asia and other poor areas of the world and even those are being pushed out by on-line shopping.

The only constant in life is change.

Race has nothing to do with it, since technically speaking Hispanics are White, so how do you tell the difference as they vary in shade as much as "White" people do. Blacks are a minority in most places so they will always be less visible.

Gentrification is desirable since with so many illegals working far below minimum wage, they can't afford to do much more than exist and that eliminates keeping the rentals looking nice and .. the landlords in general just want all the money they can get without spending anymore than they absolutely must, so gentrification is wanted to eliminate the bad looking areas. For those who are just hanging on paycheck to paycheck, and own a home, they have very little to spend on making or keeping it looking nice and the drought saved them a little as they could stop watering their plants and lawns.

It is not going to get any better.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:27 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:

Similar things happening in L.A
I've been to SD several times but never lived there . Are there really areas that were mostly minority communities that totally changed in 5 years ?
I ask because I hear people state this about hipster areas like Echo Park . For all the talk of gentrification and that all the poor Hispanics have been pushed out and replaced by "white hipsters" the Hispanic population in echo park has only gone down 10 percent over many years and it's still a Hispanic majority in the area.

In America money is more important than skin color , darker Hispanics are actually pretty discriminated against in Mexico . Ever watched Mexican tv shows or news? They are all pretty light skinned .

Not all white people have a bunch of money or six figure jobs and not all Hispanics or blacks are poor . I know many Hispanic families make good six figure incomes in L.A . There are also quite a few wealthy and upper middle class black folks.

Also you mentioned you wonder why local governments are allowing all this new development or redevelopment . It's because these cities charge very big fees to developers for the right to develop .

Also if you take a look at campaign donations you will see that these developers are pretty friendly with the politicians giving them "political donations" or funds to fund their pet projects

This has been going on in Los Angeles and there are many articles about it .

L.A is making more requirements to provide affordable housing in these new buildings but this could push away some developers and also there is just never going to be enough affordable housing right in city centers to meet the demand.

I wouldn't wait for government to help even if they are promising they are working night and day to help.

People are moving further out, living with more people , or just moving out of state .
One can always move back once their income potential goes up.

The reality is people are lining up to apply for minimum wage jobs where they might have an hour commute.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:55 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:

Move. Why do you have to live in San Diego?

Basically your entire post is "I'm too poor, and other people are too poor to live in one of the most expensive metros in the entire country." Sorry dude, San Diego hasn't been "cheap" compared to the rest of the U.S for over 50 years. SoCal has great weather, great beaches, and for now, plenty of employment opportunities for high skill workers.

You expect to pay $1200 rent for the rest of your life living in the center of San Diego? Things change, demographics change. This isn't something new. Move elsewhere and be happy, instead of complaining about how everything is getting more expensive and being depressed.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:06 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
''While you still can.'' What is that supposed to mean? Are you talking about before a huge real estate crash like we had back when Bush (R) and Swartzenegger (R) were in power?
A crash caused by derivative deregulation?

Who signed that into law? Oh right, it was Bill "Rapist" Clinton (D). You're the kind of guy who probably blames Trump (R) for Obama(D)Care's fiery, collapse.

Just a tip, you should probably be somewhat knowlegeable about topics before you come to the internet to vomit these ridiculous falsehoods.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:25 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Your missing the half of the deal Reagan made with democrats that they failed to uphold.
Looks like that is finally getting remedied though 20-40 million people later.

Like I tell my kids. No one is entitled to live where they want unless they can afford it. Neither of them want to live here after they graduate and I'm ok with that.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:58 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
I've looked at many cities all over the US and unfortunately rents are high in places that don't even have mountains or beaches. Seems all the developers/landlords believe their areas are special enough to warrant high prices...one example is Raleigh NC but there are many others. Houses are less expensive but rents are going up all over the country. And home prices are not far behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California