Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:21 PM

6,875 posts, read 8,169,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Agreed when it comes to winter months during the rainy season. During the dry months, I'd say microclimates dominate more.
But even in winter, rainfall totals can be higher in southern locations than northern ones due to topography, for example:

San José: 18.40
Los Angeles 18.99

Rain shadows make big differences that counteract latitude.
Then there is the issue of accumulated rainfall vs number of rainy days, which is a whole other topic that's interesting. Kind of like max temps vs temps by hour. Redding averages about as much rainfall as Seattle, but Redding is one of the sunniest cities in the country while Seattle is one of the cloudiest and rainiest. So many nuances from so many factors!
Agreed all very interesting.

San Jose / Los Angeles...think of it like this: San Jose still got near the same rainfall as LA despite being located in a topographic rain shadow. Why is that...because of latitude, San Jose received twice as many storms as LA because of latitude.

A better comparison is SF and LAX neither are in a topographic rain shadow, but because of latitude SF received near twice the rainfall as LA.

SF: 32.23 - SF is on the beach
LAX: 16.32 - LAX is on the beach

Same applies when comparing the Sacramento Valley with the San Joaquin Valley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Definitely the first time I've heard the suggestion that Los Banos is not in the valley.

The main source of debate/ambiguity I've generally heard is the distinction between the single "Central Valley" vs. the two valleys, Sacramento Valley from the delta on up, and San Joaquin Valley from the delta downward.

Growing up in Southern California and even when I first moved to the Bay Area, I always thought the terms "Central Valley" and "San Joaquin Valley" were synonyms and referred to the entire flat expanse from Bakersfield to Redding. I knew where Sacramento was, but never once heard the term "Sacramento Valley" until I actually moved there.
That's the coastal and southern cal biases at work. Im originally from SD and lived in LA for many years. From their perspective anything past the Grapevine was "far north" and then you have Bakersfield and pretty much everything on up is exactly like Bakersfield........so not true, we know that.

This alone should help people understand that the Sacramento Valley is in a different climate zone than the San Joaquin Valley.

This year:
Redding in the Sacramento Valley got 46 inches of rain
Bakersfield in the San Joaquin Valley got 7 inches of rain.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
One thing spiking Redding's precip is orographic impacts. Ever notice how it goes from a semi arid steppe to open oak forest to heavy pine / Doug Fir heading north on I-5, over the relatively short distance from Red Bluff to Dunsmuir?
Yes i love this about Redding it is very green and very close to some awesome countryside.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:04 PM

3,022 posts, read 1,646,210 times
You can have fertile soil in deserts. It has to do with what's in the soil, and underground water table. Look at Coachella Valley, out in desert areas of the Inland Empire where they, too, grow beautiful crops.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:40 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,103,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
You can have fertile soil in deserts. It has to do with what's in the soil, and underground water table. Look at Coachella Valley, out in desert areas of the Inland Empire where they, too, grow beautiful crops.
Do I need to say it here too? The Coachella Valley is absolutely NOT in the IE!

Old 05-21-2017, 05:26 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,976,497 times
Tracy, CA to the grapevine is a desert calderon of hell.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:04 PM

266 posts, read 331,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Tracy, CA to the grapevine is a desert calderon of hell.

Redding and sac = 95 degrees right now.
Settle down, sacite

Old 05-21-2017, 06:08 PM

266 posts, read 331,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
That's the coastal and southern cal biases at work. Im originally from SD and lived in LA for many years. From their perspective anything past the Grapevine was "far north" and then you have Bakersfield and pretty much everything on up is exactly like Bakersfield........so not true, we know that.

This alone should help people understand that the Sacramento Valley is in a different climate zone than the San Joaquin Valley.

This year:
Redding in the Sacramento Valley got 46 inches of rain
Bakersfield in the San Joaquin Valley got 7 inches of rain.
33 inches -Lodi, CA - San Joaquin valley

Merced = cooler at night than modesto , yet Modesto is closer to the delta.

Merced to Fresno picks up coastal breezes from gaps and the pacheco pass. Source is the local weatherman.

Time to rethink your theories. I'll be back in a few days to debate em if you wish. Ttyl, chim.

Edit winds are back in Fresno. strong gusts are coming right now. I hope they stay all night long.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:17 PM

19,104 posts, read 16,484,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
Redding and sac = 95 degrees right now.
Settle down, sacite
You mean Redding is cooler than us right now? Dang!

Attachment 184960

Last edited by JGC97; 02-15-2022 at 10:38 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 10:43 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,103,420 times
Here in Indio today's high was about 106°F!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California