Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2017, 12:45 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

was?

Haha you havent seen anything yet. California is just getting started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 12:59 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where did you come up with that definition of racism? Racism is just that and not build on power or privilege. At least most of us do not see it that way. I'll have to remember that next time I am around someone without power that has hatred in their heart.
For as long as the term has been used, that's the generally accepted definition. Some conservatives have tried to 'redefine' it as simply being prejudice which it's not.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
CA was NOT better in the 50s if you weren't white, which was my point. The Ozzie and Harriet, Father Knows Best, Leave It to Beaver era was a myth.

For people of my community - there are just more opportunities open today than it was back 50-60 years ago in terms of employment, professional advancement, civic involvement and cultural acceptance.
No one is arguing that. Yes it was tough on the minorities. The only ones I know that had life easier were those working in the government. At least they were paid equal to whites. The point that is being made simply is: life was better for the majority of people in the 50s and 60s. The economy was strong, crime, though things happened wasn't as common as today, life was simpler and people knew their neighbors and cared about them. Kids respected authority, families were closer, we used verbal communication rather than keeping our noses in a tech device of some kind. Now do you understand what I am talking about: as I have said but think it is not sinking in for some: the word "better" is referring to life in general for most people.

We can say things are better today because of medical advancement and science as well. Which is true the still like was good and people overall were happier a 1/2 century ago.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:39 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
Quote:
Here is a distinction for your information.

Let's say that an African American comes up and calls you a cracker. He is expressing his disdain and dislike for you. However, he does not have the power or ability to deny you a bank loan because of who you are, his values do not dictate how you dress or do your hair is acceptable or not, he doesn't have the ability or influence to make getting a taxi harder for you.

Now on the other hand, a black person has what we can institutional influences and clout working against them. Such as employment, getting bank loans for home or business, even cultural influences. Like wearing an Afro in the office.

That's called institutional racism. See the difference?
Why can't the black person calling me a cracker work in a bank and have control over loans?? Maybe your the racist thinking people of color don't work in the corp world.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
So then when the black guy throws the white guys resume away that's racism right??
In a way this is exactly what happened to me: I got demoted based on a black/white situation and I got passed over for a promotion do to refuse discrimination. Yes, I knew from the beginning how it happened and who was responsible, but I certainly didn't hold it against to all minorities who worked for the company. There will always be some racism everywhere. Thank God it isn't as bad as it was a century ago or even 1/2 century ago. So, silverkris, I guess yo have the answer to the post regarding racism and how it works both ways.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:22 PM

911 posts, read 590,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
In a way this is exactly what happened to me: I got demoted based on a black/white situation and I got passed over for a promotion do to refuse discrimination. Yes, I knew from the beginning how it happened and who was responsible, but I certainly didn't hold it against to all minorities who worked for the company. There will always be some racism everywhere. Thank God it isn't as bad as it was a century ago or even 1/2 century ago. So, silverkris, I guess yo have the answer to the post regarding racism and how it works both ways.
And now you are sure you know what it's like to be black in America ...

Old 06-04-2017, 03:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Race WASN'T an issue because people were homogenous and self-segregated? Gimme a break!
Were you even there in OC back then. or even alive for that matter? For some reason I tend to doubt it. But now you're an expert? That's special!

Old 06-04-2017, 05:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

There's no disputing the air quality, though. I moved here 20 years ago and the air here is significantly cleaner than in the 1990s, let alone the 1970s.
But in the 50's it was better. I can remember seeing the cloud of smog hanging over LA, but not in OC where I lived. It got worse and is now better, but not what it was like as it is now an issue all over coastal SoCal and at one time just LA County. The regulations have helped but the real key as been technology such as convertors, better machining, fuel injection and computer control.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:02 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
For as long as the term has been used, that's the generally accepted definition. Some conservatives have tried to 'redefine' it as simply being prejudice which it's not.
Nope, just the way it has been twisted to fit an ideology.

rac·ism
ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/racism

Racists who hate whites are trying to redefine it.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But in the 50's it was better. I can remember seeing the cloud of smog hanging over LA, but not in OC where I lived. It got worse and is now better, but not what it was like as it is now an issue all over coastal SoCal and at one time just LA County. The regulations have helped but the real key as been technology such as convertors, better machining, fuel injection and computer control.
In Richmond in the 50's I used to play outside my grandmother's house with my cousins. She lived about a mile from the Chevron refinery. We knew it was bad when the sky was yellow & we could only play outside for about 30 minutes before our eyes started burning from the sulfur. And I'm sure it wasn't that bad in Marin County but we weren't privileged enough to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California