Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:47 AM

911 posts, read 590,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The grip that pointed out that 3 of 4 other states that passed similar measures have experienced no such increases in crime ... and that pointed out that other counties in California also experienced no such increases .... and that pointed out http://www.cjcj.org/uploads/cjcj/doc..._2010-2016.pdf

Correlation vs causation is an interesting door to open. Especially compared with anecdotal stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 10:58 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Why are people defending this gas tax?

Old 05-13-2017, 11:02 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
Only FAILURES move to TX, AZ and UT... Everyone else are doing just fine.

Why do you think AZ, TX, and UT have a higher rate of Welfare and Food Stamp than CA?

Don't you pay attention to their posts? It's always, I'm moving out of CA cause it's too expensive.

It's NEVER I'm moving to TX cause it's awesome. hahaha
The bolded part, you have a valid point there.

The two families I know that moved to TX are now back in CA. They hated the weather, the flatness of the state, and the kicker was property taxes were higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Even successful and wealthy people leave and move to those places. They can stay and afford all the taxes and housing they want but they can get a better deal in TX, AZ, and UT with less regulations and prices.
Yeah, it's 97 for the high today in Phoenix. It will be that way and worse for the next several months. No thanks.

Yes, there are cheaper places to live, there is also "when you go cheap, ya get cheap".

We get one "go round" in life, and no one knows how long they have. Living someplace you really don't want to live to save some money, well that's not living.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:16 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Maybe you should have looked for an article newer than the one you posted from 2015?

Property crime, statewide dropped 3.5% in 2016.
http://www.cjcj.org/uploads/cjcj/doc..._2010-2016.pdf

If you read that study you will see that in spite of the statewide drop in property crime, Los Angeles has had an increase in property crime and a huge decrease in the number of arrests they have made.

So while it is easy to say that prop 47 caused an increase in property crime, evidence shows that it had little if any impact on the crime rate except for those jurisdictions like LAPD which foolishly decided not to arrest offenders for prop 47 offenses. The machiavelian decision by LAPD to not arrest prop 47 offenders in an attempt to cause the law to fail instead revealed the stupidity of the police administrators who made that decision.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Because most state legislators most definitely suck at Mathematics. Or perhaps they are graduates of the California Public School System -- which is to say they cannot do basic arithmetic.

California Legislators passed a law in 1999 that led to a tidal wave of retroactive 50 percent pension increases for government employees across the state. At that time, its advocates claimed that such a huge giveaway wouldn't cost taxpayers a dime. And that one law, passed with bipartisan support and over the objections of fiscal watchdogs, laid the groundwork for California's continuing pension problems, which have unfunded liabilities estimated as high as $1 trillion.
How is it that when you did all that research (most of which I did not quote here for the sake of brevity) you failed to include in your discussion PEPRA, the state pension reform was passed in 2013?
https://www.calpers.ca.gov/page/empl...reform-impacts

Old 05-13-2017, 11:23 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe you should have looked for an article newer than the one you posted from 2015?

Property crime, statewide dropped 3.5% in 2016.
http://www.cjcj.org/uploads/cjcj/doc..._2010-2016.pdf

If you read that study you will see that in spite of the statewide drop in property crime, Los Angeles has had an increase in property crime and a huge decrease in the number of arrests they have made.

So while it is easy to say that prop 47 caused an increase in property crime, evidence shows that it had little if any impact on the crime rate except for those jurisdictions like LAPD which foolishly decided not to arrest offenders for prop 47 offenses. The machiavelian decision by LAPD to not arrest prop 47 offenders in an attempt to cause the law to fail instead revealed the stupidity of the police administrators who made that decision.
Why should they arrest people for prop 47 offenses? Nothing happens but a citation. I think LAPD is too busy for that crap. But hey at least you admitted prop 47 caused a increase in crime. Baby steps...Oh and crime is way up in OC... what's your excuse for that?

Last edited by Finper; 05-13-2017 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 12:19 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Why are people defending this gas tax?
Perhaps 2sleepy will never not defend a tax that helps unions and funds her pension???? As for taimyshu I can only think he's a troll no rational person thinks like that

Old 05-13-2017, 01:20 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Perhaps 2sleepy will never not defend a tax that helps unions and funds her pension???? As for taimyshu I can only think he's a troll no rational person thinks like that
The only explanation that makes sense, retired government employee.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
The gas tax does not help unions, nor does it fund my pension.. peculiar that you would say that and in the same post call another poster a troll

Old 05-13-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Why should they arrest people for prop 47 offenses? Nothing happens but a citation. I think LAPD is too busy for that crap. But hey at least you admitted prop 47 caused a increase in crime. Baby steps...Oh and crime is way up in OC... what's your excuse for that?
It does in other counties, people who commit misdemeanors are booked into jail, forced to post bail and go to court on the case, and in most counties that make arrests for those offenses the property crime rate has gone down. Is property crime up in Orange County? I don't have stats for the county but from my link:

Orange -15.0
Anaheim + 1.9
Santa Ana -5.8
Irvine -1.2
Doesn't look too bad to me, you can check the link for other cities in that county.

I did not admit that prop 47 caused an increase in crime because it didn't it. Did you just make that up, or did you infer it from this:
Quote:
(little if any means no significant increase or decrease)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California