Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:03 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Some of this gas tax and car tax money is going to public employee unions pensions guaranteed. People who are much poorer than public employees are paying for their brand new houses and cars in nice neighborhoods while we live in old houses in sketchy neighborhoods and drive old cars.
This. Moreover, public sector employees do not care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 09:08 AM

345 posts, read 250,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
LOL! Money is fungible.

The gas tax frees up revenue that would otherwise have gone to pothole repair. That freed up money then goes to pensions.

Thus, it is true that every penny of a gas tax goes to road repair... and it is also true that every penny of gas tax revenue frees up money to go elsewhere.
Of course.

It's not exactly precisely 100% true, so you'll be knocked down for that, but it's close enough for jazz.

Your tax dollars at work.

Santa Monica Police Chief Jacqueline Seabrooks Announces September Retirement - Santa Monica Observer

Old 05-16-2017, 09:28 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
I don't understand why people are so adamant about defending additional taxes, to the point of resorting to semantics to justify it

Old 05-16-2017, 09:37 AM

345 posts, read 250,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I don't understand why people are so adamant about defending additional taxes, to the point of resorting to semantics to justify it
Since there's typically no good reason for it, my best guess is that it's an attempt to level the playing field in terms of wealth. A lot of taxes are fairly (or very) progressive in nature. For instance, why should a million dollar house pay 10x the property taxes of a $100k house, they both use the same city services.

My take is that we should look at how money is acquired, not claw it back, but I don't have any say in this.

Another possibility is that government spending = good because the employees tend to be unionized (and unions = good), plus government forms a large jobs program that more heavily favors POC, females, LGBTetc., than real life does.

A third reason I can think of is that since government policy = good and corporate (and individual) policy = bad, the money is more likely to be spent on good things and The People.

That's the best I can do offhand.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:50 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corerius View Post
Of course.

It's not exactly precisely 100% true, so you'll be knocked down for that, but it's close enough for jazz.

Your tax dollars at work.

Santa Monica Police Chief Jacqueline Seabrooks Announces September Retirement - Santa Monica Observer
<Sigh.>

Quote:
In a press release as lavish with praise as her $434,000 a year paycheck, the City of Santa Monica announced that Santa Monica Police (SMPD) Chief Jacqueline Seabrooks is retiring.

At 58, she will draw a $330,000 a year pension from the City of Santa Monica for the next 30 years, mortality tables say. That's $10,000,000 over 30 years, from a City who's annual budget is $610,000,000.
I think just about everyone in the private sector would agree it should be a crime to take $330,000 per year as a pension in the public sector. The only question is the appropriate penalty. Would the death penalty be too severe?

Old 05-16-2017, 06:04 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Well now maybe she can afford to live in Santa Monica

Old 05-16-2017, 09:29 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
They defend taxes and actually love taxes because they believe that the government is good and doe's good. How anyone can be so dumb is impossible for me to comprehend.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:34 PM

911 posts, read 590,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
... How anyone can be so dumb is impossible for me to comprehend.
Tongues are being bitten from all corners of the forum right now.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:09 PM

272 posts, read 322,495 times
We get what we deserve... voting Jerry Brown into the office for 4th time
Why should he care about regular taxpayers if thinks of them as freeloades?

Jerry Brown: California Taxpayers are 'Freeloaders' - Breitbart

Old 05-17-2017, 03:18 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
You don't understand "fungible." At any rate, there is no requirement that the total spent on road repair actually goes up,
let alone goes up by the amount of revenue collected by the new tax.
And That ^ is what fungible supposedly means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California