Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 06:23 AM

214 posts, read 330,114 times

Advertisements

I am looking to holiday/vacation in USA in December for Xmas and New Years as something different. I will be travelling solo and will likely hire a car to go places. I am thinking of setting up base in San Diego, but would like to travel to various areas and visit the Yosemite National Park. I have read the average high is around 18/19c and lows about 8/9c. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 07:04 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Last year we had rain, 40*-70* weather and fog in coastal areas, snow in the mountains,
Before that we had some cool mid 40s weather fog but no snow or rain.
Overall our winter is a very mild winter compared to the rest of the country

Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 AM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Yes, the winter is mild. San Diego will be fine. A little rain, and gloomy but not really cold weather, is as bad as it gets. In SoCal, it may well be warmer than 18/19 c, but it is unpredictable.

Much of Yosemite may be closed as it can snow quite a bit there, so you will need to look into that before you head up there, and see if what you plan to do is available.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:43 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
it must not be that cold coz I see teens on their tank tops strolling even at night..

Old 05-25-2017, 09:58 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Parade
Many of the members of the Valley Hunt Club were former residents of the American East and Midwest. They wished to showcase their new California home's mild winter weather. At a club meeting, Professor Charles F. Holder announced, "In New York, people are buried in the snow. Here our flowers are blooming and our oranges are about to bear. Let's hold a festival to tell the world about our paradise."

Old 05-25-2017, 10:34 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
I live in the San Diego area. The weather varies a bit from year to year. Many years, I've walked on the beach in 80 degree (26 C) weather on Christmas or New Year's Day. Last year was a bit of an anomaly, as it was a cooler, wetter winter. However, while there's a good chance you'll have beautiful sunny days during your visit, be forewarned that the ocean water in Southern California is VERY cold. You probably won't be doing much swimming in the ocean unless you rent a wet suit.

San Diego also has a lot of micro-climates. By the coast, it can be 65 (18) and foggy, while just a few miles inland, the sun is shining and the temperatures are are in the mid 70s (23 C). Go up into the mountains, and it can be cooler than the coast (and even snowing from time to time in the winter months).

Head out to Anza Borrego State Park (which I HIGHLY recommend you do while visiting) which is the desert, and it is usually sunny and 20 plus degrees warmer than by the coast.

There is a lot to do and see in the San Diego area besides sitting on the beach. It is possible to do day trips to Orange County and even LA from San Diego. However, if you're planning to see a lot of California, you might want to move during your trip, as San Diego is tucked away in the very south eastern edge of California, and California is huge.

For instance, regarding Yosemite: As I'm sure you know, Yosemite is quite a drive from San Diego; it is not a day trip, so I would suggest setting aside at least three days if you want to visit Yosemite from San Diego -- two to drive to and from, and one day in the Park.

Although there are often road closures, Yosemite valley itself is usually open during Christmas, even if there is snow on the ground. However, if you want to stay in the Valley, make your reservations as soon as possible, as that is a popular time for people to visit, and some of the lodging options are not open, so things book up very quickly. Before heading to Yosemite in the winter, make sure you check the road condition information on the Park website. You can also find information about lodging in the park, and make reservations there. Here is the link: https://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

If you want to be guaranteed of warmer weather, you might want to consider basing yourself in Palm Springs, which has a lot to offer tourists and may save you driving time if you plan to visit places like the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Las Vegas, etc. Of course, there's no ocean in Palm Springs, since it is in the desert.

With all of the National Parks (Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Zion, Yosemite, Joshua Tree), you should try to make reservations well in advance if you want to stay in or close to the Park, especially during Christmas week.

You may also find these websites helpful as you plan your trip:

https://www.sandiego.org/

Visit California |

Official Palm Springs, California Visitor Info & Travel Guide to Palm Springs Hotels - Official Palm Springs, California Visitor Info & Travel Guide to Palm Springs Hotels

http://www.americansouthwest.net/national_parks.html#ca

http://www.americansouthwest.net/cal...ate-parks.html

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638

Have a great trip!

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-25-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 05-25-2017, 03:25 PM

266 posts, read 334,484 times
Op, its unpredictable. Bitter cold wetter isnt likely tho.
Yosemite in the winter is amazing, I hope you get to go.
Cheers

Old 05-26-2017, 04:13 PM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
it must not be that cold coz I see teens on their tank tops strolling even at night..
Ha! That's the weirdest thing about San Diego. People don't dress for the weather. I've seen people in 10C / 50F at night wearing shorts and tees all the time. It's more of a mindset thing.

I live in San Diego and can say that yes, the average is around 18C/19C (65F) in the winter. But depending on your luck, it could be noticeably warmer or cooler than that. I've seen heatwaves in the middle of winter where it was 35C (95F), or it could be only 12C/13C (55F). You just never know. I'd say you won't find it too cold overall, and just adjust your packing last minute.

Yosemite is likely to be snowy because of its elevation (1000-3000 meters). Also, it's in Northern California, not Southern California, but it's certainly driveable from Southern California. Don't overlook the beauty of the deserts in the wintertime too, plus Southern California has some beautiful mountain ranges (with snow) as well. The whole state is beautiful!

Old 05-26-2017, 04:16 PM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Perfect summary!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I live in the San Diego area. The weather varies a bit from year to year. Many years, I've walked on the beach in 80 degree (26 C) weather on Christmas or New Year's Day. Last year was a bit of an anomaly, as it was a cooler, wetter winter. However, while there's a good chance you'll have beautiful sunny days during your visit, be forewarned that the ocean water in Southern California is VERY cold. You probably won't be doing much swimming in the ocean unless you rent a wet suit.

San Diego also has a lot of micro-climates. By the coast, it can be 65 (18) and foggy, while just a few miles inland, the sun is shining and the temperatures are are in the mid 70s (23 C). Go up into the mountains, and it can be cooler than the coast (and even snowing from time to time in the winter months).

Head out to Anza Borrego State Park (which I HIGHLY recommend you do while visiting) which is the desert, and it is usually sunny and 20 plus degrees warmer than by the coast.

There is a lot to do and see in the San Diego area besides sitting on the beach. It is possible to do day trips to Orange County and even LA from San Diego. However, if you're planning to see a lot of California, you might want to move during your trip, as San Diego is tucked away in the very south eastern edge of California, and California is huge.

For instance, regarding Yosemite: As I'm sure you know, Yosemite is quite a drive from San Diego; it is not a day trip, so I would suggest setting aside at least three days if you want to visit Yosemite from San Diego -- two to drive to and from, and one day in the Park.

Although there are often road closures, Yosemite valley itself is usually open during Christmas, even if there is snow on the ground. However, if you want to stay in the Valley, make your reservations as soon as possible, as that is a popular time for people to visit, and some of the lodging options are not open, so things book up very quickly. Before heading to Yosemite in the winter, make sure you check the road condition information on the Park website. You can also find information about lodging in the park, and make reservations there. Here is the link: https://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

If you want to be guaranteed of warmer weather, you might want to consider basing yourself in Palm Springs, which has a lot to offer tourists and may save you driving time if you plan to visit places like the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Las Vegas, etc. Of course, there's no ocean in Palm Springs, since it is in the desert.

With all of the National Parks (Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Zion, Yosemite, Joshua Tree), you should try to make reservations well in advance if you want to stay in or close to the Park, especially during Christmas week.

You may also find these websites helpful as you plan your trip:

https://www.sandiego.org/

Visit California |

Official Palm Springs, California Visitor Info & Travel Guide to Palm Springs Hotels - Official Palm Springs, California Visitor Info & Travel Guide to Palm Springs Hotels

The American Southwest - National Parks, National Monuments and National Recreation Areas in Southwest USA

California State Parks

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638

Have a great trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California