U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 11:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,830 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have a job offer in Ukiah. I lost my job in San Jose 9 months ago. Its been impossible to find another one without taking a 50 % drop in salary. I am 50 now, so am worried that the market is done with me!
I have no commitments here but do love the lifestyle, have tons of friends, church, theater etc.
However i need to work, because thats what brings me the greatest joy and I am paying for my kids in college.
The salary is fabulous in Ukiah, and they offered me a a very stable long term contract.

I'm concerned because i usually walk my dog nightly, is it safe to do this there?
how much racism is there?
Is Talmadge a good area to live in?
I hate driving so wanted to live in Ukiah close to work.

I don't want to be isolated on 5 acres in a big house, i would rather be around people and have close neighbors so are there any townhome/condo complexes where the neighbors share a pool etc?
and where are they?
I know from this site about the drug scene, so if I were in a condo complex, is it likely my neighbors would be drug growers/users.

Whats a safe area where most middle income people live ?
lastly apart from the local health club is there much of a social or singles scene in Ukiah?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Taylor B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:01 AM

8,388 posts, read 9,131,891 times
I lived in Mendocino county for 25 years. And moved away from Ukiah in 2002.

Two things. The good part of Ukiah is found west of State st-the further west the better and North of Gobbi and Capps- south. A single woman walking a dog in the evening in this area is a safe thing.

The second thing to know is, Unlike the Bay area, in Ukiah people who live in apartments tend to be lower income types. I would recommend renting a house. The main drug problem is Marijuana. Very pervasive. When I last visited Ukiah (a year ago), I asked myself if I were the only person not smoking dope?

Unless things have changed for the better, Talmadge would not be my first choice. Overall Ukiah is an OK place. Not great, not bad. Best of luck!

Old 07-06-2017, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,830 times
Thank you for taking the time.
My boss to be in Ukiah, lives in Talmadge we drove past his house, it was about $450,000 in a cul de sac, and so I thought it would be a good area to live in.
Taylor B

Old 07-07-2017, 01:28 AM

6 posts, read 11,271 times
Thanks for the post!

Old 07-07-2017, 04:39 AM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani B View Post
Thank you for taking the time.
My boss to be in Ukiah, lives in Talmadge we drove past his house, it was about $450,000 in a cul de sac, and so I thought it would be a good area to live in.
Taylor B
Ukiah is a delightful small town but very different from San Jose, as I am sure you already know. The people are friendly and the city nice and quiet. If you live in Talmadge or a few other parts of the city you will be happy. Although the income level of many in the area isn't anywhere near what you see in San Jose, that certainly doesn't mean the place isn't safe. I would feel as safe in Ukiah as anywhere.

good luck and yes, you hit that 50 age and over level and reality sets in. We were hit with this many years ago when 50 was even older to companies than is seems now.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:03 PM

271 posts, read 377,794 times
You could pick worse places than Ukiah to relocate. Compared to 30 years ago, it has become somewhat gentrified.

I am Asian-American (ABC) and worked all over Mendo county as a Forester from the 1960s on. So if you want to get out in areas where they hardly see someone like me, try it sometime.

But in summary, I never felt threatened, even with the stories my older relatives told me about the Chinese purges in the late 1880s. Walk your dog, it's safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California