U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 05:40 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,310,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on Turlock near Modesto? I'm seeing a lot of affordable housing there. I really like the central location of the Modesto area near Yosemite, the coast, Sacramento, SF for day trips.
First, realize you are asking for opinions and as such take them all with a grain of salt including my own. In addition, California is one of the largest and most geographically diverse states in the union with many types of areas to live in. Everyone has preferences: NorCal, Central Cal, SoCal, the coast, mountains, deserts, valleys, big cities, country, suburbs, etc... Some will be fans of places you would not want to live, plain and simple. That will become more apparent once you visit them yourself. In addition most have some kind of underbelly which isn't always apparent upon first visits. This includes some of the things you are trying to avoid (high drug use, gangs, crime, etc...) among others you may not have considered such as some of the worst air quality in the nation in parts. http://www.health.com/health/gallery...desto-calif--0

I would definitely visit those areas and then compare them to others mentioned like Chico. I don't really like the Turlock/Modesto areas. They represent a hot, flat, dry, smoggy region 'on the way' to somewhere else (nicer). That describes much of the Central Valley to me. Though some love it and it does have its nicer (relative) areas and sections.

You can lookup threads on these areas as well as crime stats and demographics to get a better idea. Here's one: Living in Merced area (Merced, Turlock, Mariposa, Madera, etc.)

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-09-2017 at 05:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 06:20 PM

825 posts, read 1,016,755 times
Quote:
First, realize you are asking for opinions and as such take them all with a grain of salt including my own. In addition, California is one of the largest and most geographically diverse states in the union with many types of areas to live in. Everyone has preferences: NorCal, Central Cal, SoCal, the coast, mountains, deserts, valleys, big cities, country, suburbs, etc... Some will be fans of places you would not want to live, plain and simple.
Yeah, I think when I take my trip I'm going to spend some time at Yosemite and then drive up and check out Fresno, Modesto, Sacramento, and Chico. I think this is the area I'm zeroing in on now. The Southern California suggestions are also interesting. The bigger offices for me are in Southern California so there are more opportunities to transfer.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:37 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,745,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Uh... I don't mean to come off as rude, but I'm pretty sure that the desert areas of California have plenty of trees, too. Even here in the Coachella Valley, we have plenty of trees, ranging from palm trees, to athel tamarisks, to eucalyptus trees, even to evergreen trees! You can mainly find more types of trees on golf courses, on lawns, etc.. Even some of the Valley's streets are tree-lined, but mainly with palm trees. Hey, better than no trees, right?

Brandon, dude, drink some Gatorade, you are getting delirious from the heat. The California desert is just that...DESERT! Most trees in the desert are not native plants & must be artificially sustained by LOTS OF WATER!

Old 07-09-2017, 09:28 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,037,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Brandon, dude, drink some Gatorade, you are getting delirious from the heat. The California desert is just that...DESERT! Most trees in the desert are not native plants & must be artificially sustained by LOTS OF WATER!
They're still trees, though!

Old 07-09-2017, 09:42 PM

18,004 posts, read 22,741,002 times
Chico is really pretty, but it's HOT< HOT< HOT! You can't understand that kind of hot until you live there. I moved to Redding and lasted one year and would have done anything to get out, and I was actually happy enough in Redding otherwise. Chico and Paradise have similar weather.

Plus, the air quality is bad. Really bad. There is so much agriculture in the Sacramento Valley, between the plowing and the crop dusting, and rice paddy burning, the air quality is just godawful, where you can barely breathe. It just sits in that valley. I used to live in Woodland and Davis and Sacramento. Chico and Paradise are in that same air problem.

Just check the data yourself online. Look at actual temperatures at different times of the day and night, as well as air quality data. For instance, in Chico and Redding, summers start in May and don't end until October, and it doesn't cool down until about 3am and is often unbearable by 10am.

Seriously.

Now, even Sacramento is close enough to the Delta that flows into the SF Bay, that you'll get an evening "Delta" breeze.

Just check out the actual data, and look at the hour by hour temps - not just the highs and lows. This was my mistake when I moved up there. I thought since I'd survived Davis and Sacramento, which I thought was hot, that I'd survive Redding. But, I didn't know that it doesn't cool down in the evenings.

Air quality is good in Redding, though. It's far north enough, and there isn't any major agriculture up there. It's beautiful, but for half the year it's miserable to be outside.

FWIW.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:15 AM

958 posts, read 791,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Yeah, I think when I take my trip I'm going to spend some time at Yosemite and then drive up and check out Fresno, Modesto, Sacramento, and Chico. I think this is the area I'm zeroing in on now. The Southern California suggestions are also interesting. The bigger offices for me are in Southern California so there are more opportunities to transfer.
1. People seem to be ignoring your "3-4 hours to yosemite" requirement or not reading your office list.. With that in mind, chico is your best option. Also you dont mention where you are coming from. That will have a lot to do with your ability to deal with heat. If you are from orlando or phoenix, no problem! If Montana or Alaska, well... it will be hot.

2. Fresno and modesto... well, they kind of suck. Sorry, but its true. Clovis is all rigbt, i guess, but nothing special. Sacramento is improving, but i wouldnt call it "out of gang or methland" , though it has many safe areas. To me, though, the test of a city is not if it has safe areas, but is it safe throughout most of the city, including the downtown and other areas with activities worth pursuing. Capetown, Rio, Mexico City, kinshasa, Chicago, Nairobi, all have safe areas... doesnt mean they are safe on the whole.

3. The poster who claimed that "most people who move to fresno work in the bay area" is way off base. Fresno has a decent number of jobs, and it would be a 6-8 hour daily commute to the bay. In other words, pure hell! Perhaps they were referring to telecommuters? Also a "day trip" to LA woukd be one lame and pointless day. Weekend? Sure. Both ways in one day? No fun.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:41 PM

38,383 posts, read 2,900,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Chico is really pretty, but it's HOT< HOT< HOT! You can't understand that kind of hot until you live there. I moved to Redding and lasted one year and would have done anything to get out, and I was actually happy enough in Redding otherwise. Chico and Paradise have similar weather.

Plus, the air quality is bad. Really bad. There is so much agriculture in the Sacramento Valley, between the plowing and the crop dusting, and rice paddy burning, the air quality is just godawful, where you can barely breathe. It just sits in that valley. I used to live in Woodland and Davis and Sacramento. Chico and Paradise are in that same air problem.

Just check the data yourself online. Look at actual temperatures at different times of the day and night, as well as air quality data. For instance, in Chico and Redding, summers start in May and don't end until October, and it doesn't cool down until about 3am and is often unbearable by 10am.

Seriously.

Now, even Sacramento is close enough to the Delta that flows into the SF Bay, that you'll get an evening "Delta" breeze.

Just check out the actual data, and look at the hour by hour temps - not just the highs and lows. This was my mistake when I moved up there. I thought since I'd survived Davis and Sacramento, which I thought was hot, that I'd survive Redding. But, I didn't know that it doesn't cool down in the evenings.

Air quality is good in Redding, though. It's far north enough, and there isn't any major agriculture up there. It's beautiful, but for half the year it's miserable to be outside.

FWIW.

Yes it is hot here, that is why we have AC. I have not noticed any air quality problems, clean mountain air is what I breathe. ( Paradise) I think Redding is slightly hotter than here.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:20 PM

231 posts, read 201,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
1. People seem to be ignoring your "3-4 hours to yosemite" requirement or not reading your office list.. With that in mind, chico is your best option. Also you dont mention where you are coming from. That will have a lot to do with your ability to deal with heat. If you are from orlando or phoenix, no problem! If Montana or Alaska, well... it will be hot.

2. Fresno and modesto... well, they kind of suck. Sorry, but its true. Clovis is all rigbt, i guess, but nothing special. Sacramento is improving, but i wouldnt call it "out of gang or methland" , though it has many safe areas. To me, though, the test of a city is not if it has safe areas, but is it safe throughout most of the city, including the downtown and other areas with activities worth pursuing. Capetown, Rio, Mexico City, kinshasa, Chicago, Nairobi, all have safe areas... doesnt mean they are safe on the whole.

3. The poster who claimed that "most people who move to fresno work in the bay area" is way off base. Fresno has a decent number of jobs, and it would be a 6-8 hour daily commute to the bay. In other words, pure hell! Perhaps they were referring to telecommuters? Also a "day trip" to LA woukd be one lame and pointless day. Weekend? Sure. Both ways in one day? No fun.
Modesto is tiny compared to fresno. You are comparing a barely 200K population city to fresno's 520K--the 5th biggest in CA.

Chico has what 89K population. I guess if you dont mind living in small towns thats fine. Many dont want to lose big city amenities, usual stores, activities, etc. Again that is a per person basis.

And you saying fresno sucks and clovis is alright proves you know nothing about Fresno. Clovis is practically fresno. Many people in Clovis shop, go to school, work, hang out IN FRESNO. they are synonymous to each other. You cant even get to clovis without going through fresno. Most people wouldn't even know when they are in fresno if they are coming from north fresno as the demographics are essentially very similar. Clovis is barely 100K population compared to fresno's 520K. 1/4 if not 1/3 of the fresno population and area is similar to clovis (North fresno from west to east, and upcoming SE sunny side area). Not to mention a big part of Fresno is in the Clovis Unified school district.

Sacramento is improving? it has improved tremendously already that a lot of areas are just as pricey as some cities closer to the bay area. Sacramento is the 6th biggest city in CA. Again they have to carry the burden of different social classes both rich and poor and areas bad and good.

I have personally met some crazy commuters who commute from Sac area to San Jose daily for work. No traffic thats easy 2 hours. Unfortunately the drive to sac from san jose consist of passing through highly congested freeways. This person told me had to leave super early to beat traffic, and wait until 7 to go back home. When did Fresno become a 6-8 hour daily commute? From the San Jose downtown area, to Fresno is a good 2 hours. Similar to one goign from SJ to Sac. Ive done both trips. You are less prone to traffic going from Fresno to SJ but going back becomes congested by the many who commute from gilroy los banos, hoilister. The high speed rail will fix this if ever finished. Ask the many in the bay area who take DAY TRIPS to Reno/Lake Tahoe. Thats a 4 hour drive each way. Or going from SJ to Pismo which is 3 hours. so Fresno to LA in 3 hours or less is certainly better than 4 hours that many do.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:11 PM

958 posts, read 791,864 times
"Modesto is tiny compared to fresno. You are comparing a barely 200K population city to fresno's 520K--the 5th biggest in CA. "

I wasnt comparing them, i said they both suck! Op brought them up first, not me.

"Chico has what 89K population. I guess if you dont mind living in small towns thats fine. Many dont want to lose big city amenities, usual stores, activities, etc. Again that is a per person basis."

Exactly. And it was one of the towns the OP mentioned as being interested in! Read the thread before opening your trap next time.

"And you saying fresno sucks and clovis is alright proves you know nothing about Fresno. Clovis is practically fresno." Many people in Clovis shop, go to school, work, hang out IN FRESNO. they are synonymous to each other. "

Lol... again you misunderstand. I mentioned clovis because, despite being a separate town, i view it as a nice part of the Fresno area. I felt safe and happy in downtown clovis...downtown fresno? Not so much the last time i was there.

"Sacramento is imi proving? it has improved tremendously already that a lot of areas are just as pricey as some cities closer to the bay area. Sacramento is the 6th biggest city in CA. Again they have to carry the burden of different social classes both rich and poor and areas bad and good. "

Not disagreeing on those points? I wouldnt live there, but midtown seems to have much more going on than comparable areas in other central valleg cities.

"When did Fresno become a 6-8 hour daily commute? From the San Jose downtown area, to Fresno is a good 2 hours."

Why are you comparing sac to fresno commutes? I wasnt. Both would be hell and not worth doing unless someone was evicted in the bay and had no job prospects anywhere else in the us, or a custody agreement, parole arrangement, or ankle bracelet situation. And, sorry, but i think 3 hours would be a very typical rush hour commute from either city these days. Good luck getting from fresno to, say, mountain view in 2 hours during rush hour. 4 hours if there were any major accidents or construction.

"Ask the many in the bay area who take DAY TRIPS to Reno/Lake Tahoe. Thats a 4 hour drive each way. Or going from SJ to Pismo which is 3 hours. so Fresno to LA in 3 hours or less is certainly better than 4 hours that many do."

Still seems like a crappy day to me. And google maps has it at 3:17 from fresno to la with no traffic. And we all know there is no traffic in la.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:36 PM

825 posts, read 1,016,755 times
How does the air quality in Simi Valley and Temecula in Southern California compare to Merced, Sacramento, and Chico?

Air quality is something I never really considered. I live in Florida now and I guess I just take the clean air for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or