Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 06:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Prices are a little cheaper in Murrieta and even cheaper yet in Mennifee. I said the Temecula Valley, not just Temecula.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Unknown/30...5/home/6673984
My home in Murrieta sold for 1 and 1/2 times what I paid for it as prices were dropping. Now it is worth 2 X what I paid for it. Prices are rising like in other areas, they just started at a lower level after the recession so they are still better than Coastal areas. I like the area but my wife got tired of the heat and she grew up in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 06:59 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
My home in Murrieta sold for 1 and 1/2 times what I paid for it as prices were dropping. Now it is worth 2 X what I paid for it. Prices are rising like in other areas, they just started at a lower level after the recession so they are still better than Coastal areas. I like the area but my wife got tired of the heat and she grew up in that area.
Our home has gone up $100k in the last 18 months. Prices are still well under what they were in 2006-2007. We bought it brand new in 2002.However it still costs less than half what a comparable home would cost in Poway or Rancho Bernardo.

We like the heat. We have a large swimming pool that we use almost daily for 6-7 months. We couldn't do that if we lived in a cooler area.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:00 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,262,232 times
The desert

Old 07-08-2017, 07:01 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Curious, expatCA, is that where you guys moved back to?

Derek

Old 07-08-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I'm thinking areas where you can find a decent 3/2 house under $350k that isn't in gangland or methland? A diverse area that isn't predominantly latino or asian or black and has a decent percentage of white non-hispanic too?

Far Northern California maybe? Redding? Yreka? Chico? What about Sacramento?

Ideally, I'd like a exurban or rural area with low to moderate population within 30-45 minutes of employment/retail/medical, and within a few hours drives of beautiful national parks, beaches, etc.
The biggest challenge for these dream lists will be 'affordability' and close the all those other wonderful things. Guess what millions of others want as well?

Folks have given you some good ideas. But ultimately you have to trade some things on that list for others, namely affordability. Close to beaches and good employment opportunities will be the biggest challenge. Can you work remotely or easily anywhere like a smaller town? 30-45 minutes to what type of employment? Retail, chef, auto mechanic, rocket scientist, tug boat captain... it really depends?

*Edit, I noticed you said a few hours to some of those wonderful things which makes a bit more doable. The main challenge will be work depending on what you do. Closer to larger cities like Sacramento will give you generally more employment options.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-08-2017 at 07:17 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 07:10 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
The Temecula Valley fits the bill.
Trying to drive from Temecula to either Los Angeles or San Diego can be horrendous, as freeways tend to get backed up during rush hour, or when there's accidents.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Trying to drive from Temecula to either Los Angeles or San Diego can be horrendous, as freeways tend to get backed up during rush hour, or when there's accidents.
Hence more affordable.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:37 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,673 times
Quote:
Folks have given you some good ideas. But ultimately you have to trade some things on that list for others, namely affordability. Close to beaches and good employment opportunities will be the biggest challenge. Can you work remotely or easily anywhere like a smaller town? 30-45 minutes to what type of employment? Retail, chef, auto mechanic, rocket scientist, tug boat captain... it really depends?
There is a strong possibility I can work remotely but more likely I would only be able to do this a couple times a week and have to head into the office at least a few times a week.

We have numerous offices in CA I could apply for a transfer.

BAKERSFIELD
BONSALL
CARMEL
COSTA MESA
FOLSOM
INDIAN WELLS
LANCASTER
MENLO PARK
NAPA
ONTARIO
PLEASANTON
RIVERSIDE
SAN DIEGO
SAN FRANCISCO
SAN JOSE
SANTA BARBARA
SANTA ROSA
VACAVILLE
WESTLAKE VILLAGE
BEVERLY HILLS
BREA
CENTURY CITY
EL SEGUNDO
FRESNO
IRVINE
LONG BEACH
MILL VALLEY
NEWPORT BEACH
OXNARD
RANCHO SANTA FE
ROSEVILLE
SAN DIEGO
SAN FRANCISCO
SAN JOSE
SANTA BARBARA
SEAL BEACH
WALNUT CREEK
WOODLAND HILLS
BEVERLY HILLS
CARLSBAD
CHICO
ENCINO
GLENDALE
LA JOLLA
LOS ANGELES
MODESTO
OAKLAND
PASADENA
REDDING
SACRAMENTO
SAN DIEGO
SAN JOSE
SAN MATEO
SANTA MONICA
STOCKTON
WESTLAKE VILLAGE

Old 07-08-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
There is a strong possibility I can work remotely but more likely I would only be able to do this a couple times a week and have to head into the office at least a few times a week.

We have numerous offices in CA I could apply for a transfer.
How much rent can you afford or what is your price range to buy a home.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Curious, expatCA, is that where you guys moved back to?

Derek
Currently in TN and will move next year. We started to evaluate between SoCal and Central East Coast of FL last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California