Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:09 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,198,897 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
How much rent can you afford or what is your price range to buy a home.
I'd say $350K-$375K max. Anything more I'd feel cash poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 08:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Was in a rush when I posted the link. To elaborate on what you wanted:

--a decent 3/2 house under $350k that isn't in gangland or methland? = Simi Valley. Super low crime. Keep checking prices and you can find the price you want (see link), but look soon

--A diverse area that isn't predominantly latino or asian or black and has a decent percentage of white non-hispanic too? = Simi Valley. Mostly white, not so very diverse, but LA is next door

--a exurban or rural area with low to moderate population within 30-45 minutes of employment/retail/medical, and within a few hours drives of beautiful national parks, beaches, etc. = Simi Valley. On the border of LA County, the San Fernando Valley which has all the employment/retail/medical (but Simi has its own), has great hiking, the beach is about 30 miles away, clean, quiet, bordered by nature

Plus: family-friendly, pretty good school system, SoCal weather, one of the lightest freeways traffic-wise, nice people, well-run city, mountain views

Old 07-08-2017, 08:31 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
There is a strong possibility I can work remotely but more likely I would only be able to do this a couple times a week and have to head into the office at least a few times a week.

We have numerous offices in CA I could apply for a transfer.
Wow, you have lots of options which makes this more doable. Much will then come down to the type of area and climate you prefer: more hot and desert like, closer to a beach or more trees and closer to the mountains. Northern, Central or SoCal? They all have different vibes, sub cultures, traffic scenes vs. wide open spaces. Also, by increasing you ceiling a bit you may be able to get into more of what you're looking for. All of it depends of priorities (affordability) and preferences.

Here are my recommendations for further research based upon your list:

CHICO
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...rice-na-375000

FOLSOM - Placerville and surrounds
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ice-na-375000#

ROSEVILLE - Sierra Foothills, Auburn, Grass Valley
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ice-na-375000#

BONSALL - Temecula / Murrieta
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...rice-na-375000

RANCHO SANTA FE - Poway
SAN DIEGO - east SD county possibly

INDIAN WELLS - Desert anyone?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-08-2017 at 08:42 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 08:48 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Trying to drive from Temecula to either Los Angeles or San Diego can be horrendous, as freeways tend to get backed up during rush hour, or when there's accidents.
I don't have to commute anywhere so that is not a problem for us. The OP never asked about commuting.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Wow, you have lots of options which makes this more doable. Much will then come down to the type of area and climate you prefer: more hot and desert like, closer to a beach or more trees and closer to the mountains. Northern, Central or SoCal? They all have different vibes, sub cultures, traffic scenes vs. wide open spaces. Also, by increasing you ceiling a bit you may be able to get into more of what you're looking for. All of it depends of priorities (affordability) and preferences.
Some offices are bigger than others and they may not all have vacancies at this time but it would be good to narrow the options to a few I can further explore. I'm planning a vacation to CA later this year and would like to spend some time traveling the state and seeing whether this is something I want to do or not.

I don't want the cold rainy foggy San Fransisco climate. I'm fine with heat and would prefer trees to desert. Ideally, I'd be within 3-4 hours of Yosemite so I can make lots of weekend trips hiking and camping. The closer to Yosemite the better.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:08 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,450 times
I would look at Ripon. It's a wonderful town that fits a lot of your criteria that isn't plagued with drugs or violence like other towns near it. Close to both Modesto and Stockton with easy commutes. You are 90 minutes from Yosemite, 90 minutes from San Francisco (not a good commute but close for recreation), about 2 hours from Carmel/Monterrey. You are also an easy weekend away from tons of other recreational choices (Northern California). Your price range would get a pretty decent house too, a lot better than the choices posted in other towns. You are only a 6 hour drive from Southern California. I have some cousins who live there and they love it. As for the weather it does get very hot, but it's one of the tradeoffs for affordability. If not that town than I'd stick with the area by Sacramento. You'll want to research how your commute would be as Southern California has truly brutal traffic.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:29 PM

266 posts, read 334,213 times
Quiet part of Fresno, it's about 70% white and 30% non. Mostly married couples

https://m.trulia.com/property/327379...resno-CA-93720

Woodward park home

2 hours to Yosemite valley and 2 hours to morro bay

Summer can get hot, but winters are a joke. They feel more like spring than winter.

Morro bay

Last edited by Flovis; 07-08-2017 at 09:56 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 11:21 PM

187 posts, read 206,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Prices are a little cheaper in Murrieta and even cheaper yet in Mennifee. I said the Temecula Valley, not just Temecula.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Unknown/30...5/home/6673984
I'm vacationing right now in the Temecula valley and the town of Menifee is absolutely blowing up. So much development it's unbelievable. I spoke with some locals and it's under an hour commute to both San Diego and Orange County. The valley is also centrally located with easy access to some great places - San Diego coast, San Bernardino Mountains, Anza Borrego & Joshua Tree. Definitely worth a look!

Old 07-09-2017, 06:02 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,853 times
On that list, if you work in Stockton, do not live there, due to the high crime & gang activity, also not an attractive place & very hot summers.

Modesto still has reasonable housing, just have to be careful of what neighborhood you choose. It's not a bad drive to either Yosemite or Bay Area for recreation. Summers are hot, air quality not the greatest.

Anything in greater LA County, Orange County, San Diego County, Bay Area will be crazy-expensive.

I like Mtn Surfer's list, except for Indian Wells...that place is pure desert, triple-digit temps May-Sept at the very least.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 07-09-2017 at 06:10 AM..

Old 07-09-2017, 09:07 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on Turlock near Modesto? I'm seeing a lot of affordable housing there. I really like the central location of the Modesto area near Yosemite, the coast, Sacramento, SF for day trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California