U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:07 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,306,057 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I agree with Rosie. Your budget is totally doable and for significantly less if you find the right deal. So you'll really need to visit places to see what you like. Most coastal towns or near coastal areas have their own personalities, vibes, pros/cons, etc... Some are closer to the big cities and some further out.

In our case, we sold our home in CO when moving to Monterey. However, we weren't convinced it was a good time to buy which was a good thing because it was right before the great recession and crash. So we leased a couple of places. The first wasn't so great. But the second was spectacular and the owner has never raised the rent in 8 years!

My wife's family is in San Diego. Our favorite area is North County nearer the coast.

In OC, I'd probably pick Mission Viejo area. Although I generally prefer the other SoCal coastal counties for a variety of reasons.

In LA county, the South Bay is really nice - Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo, Torrance. The bike trail system on the coast is excellent and goes for many miles.

In Ventura County, Ventura itself as well as Camarillo and Thousand Oaks are worth checking out.

Regarding hiking, it depends what you really prefer. All SoCal has great coastal walking opportunities. But if you are looking for hiking in *real* mountains, you'll need to drive further. There are more real mountains the further north you go including some which actually have skiing/snowboarding in the Winter. These are closer to LA and Ventura. You also have the Santa Monica coastal mountains among other hills close to the coast between Malibu and the valley which have good hiking opportunities.

Although we moved out of SoCal for more wide open spaces along the Central Coast, if work required a move back, I'd probably prefer north of LA. Then head south if I needed to be in the city for some event, etc...

The only part I really miss about living in SoCal is going to places like the Hollywood Bowl for outdoor Summer concerts under the stars. Those are pretty amazing. While living in Torrance, they offered a bus service straight to the bowl. So you didn't have to mess around with parking. Just catch a ride and go to your favorite concert event.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 12:35 PM

68 posts, read 44,290 times
One additional request -

Which coastal cities have the worst air quality on average over the course of a year? I may eliminate, out of hand, the city(ies) with the worst pollution to ease our selection process.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:38 PM

7,289 posts, read 4,380,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patryuji View Post
One additional request -

Which coastal cities have the worst air quality on average over the course of a year? I may eliminate, out of hand, the city(ies) with the worst pollution to ease our selection process.
All you'll get by asking that question is a lot of opinions without any real data. We all tend to think our location has better (or worse) air quality than just up the road, but our opinions are seldom based on factual data.

If you want actual data to compare, dig into the resources available at the EPA Air Now site:

https://airnow.gov/

You can see historical data by clicking on archived maps and each state and many cities each have their own data page. There's also a comparison tool that will let you compare selected counties.

Keep in mind that different parts of the same county or city can have very different air quality, so dig down as much as possible before dismissing (or adding) any location based on averaged data for the whole.

However, before you start looking at California air quality, I suggest that you first examine the data for the wider area where you currently live as a baseline for making your comparison.

As I said, people tend to have a false impression of the air quality where they live based personal opinions, not actual factual data.

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-18-2017 at 02:02 PM..

Old 07-19-2017, 05:30 PM

68 posts, read 44,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

However, before you start looking at California air quality, I suggest that you first examine the data for the wider area where you currently live as a baseline for making your comparison.

As I said, people tend to have a false impression of the air quality where they live based personal opinions, not actual factual data.
Good point, I have no idea of the actual pollution levels of the city I live in...the best I know is that after Phoenix came up in the top 10 for worst air pollution on a couple different lists, when moving to our current city, I tried checking a couple days on the airnow page and selected a suburb that was 25 miles south of Phoenix and seemed to be semi-hidden behind a few mountains. I didn't actually dig into the "real" data for my current city though.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:27 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,200,555 times
Anything within 1-2 miles of the coast from the Oregon coast to the Mexican border will not reach 100 degrees.

Low 90s is fairly common here and there in the summer months, but I've never heard about any coastal community reaching 100 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or