Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where in CenCal should I move based on the criteria?
Santa Barbara 0 0%
Bakersfield 4 25.00%
San Luis Obispo 8 50.00%
Santa Cruz 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,693 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

My family and I would like to move out of San Diego in about a year's time. We are a young, frugal family that consists of me (20), my S/O (24) and our infant. I'm born and raised from Sacramento CA and my S/O was born and raised from here, in San Diego. Each of our families reside where we grew up in and we'd like to move to CenCal so we're equally away from both families. We'd also like to eventually and affordably get out of our living situation. Our budget to rent a home could be no larger than $2,000

I currently am a Certified Nursing Assistant and in a years time, I'd like to be working as a medical biller and coder/transcriptionist because I'd like a future career in a telecommuting position. I'm a new mom and would consider myself pretty crunchy (cloth diaper, organic eating, holistic medicine, clean consumer). I enjoy being near more naturally beautiful environments rather than city attractions. I hope to homeschool my child; Access to bookstores and shopping is a must. I love farmers markets, metaphysical, and holistic shops! I'd just like to be in an area where I can fine things within my interests (hippie-ish/alternative lifestyle things but I also like current and trendy things) while being in a more naturally beautiful and clean environment. Great college schooling options would be a major plus and being near the ocean is also a must.

My S/O works in the cannabis industry. He loves his job working in dispensaries and legal marijuana IS his hobby. Growing and smoking is what he loves to do along with promoting its medicinal power and using it in other forms. I'd have to move to an area where there is common interest in the cannabis scene. He's also a foodie (go figure) who loves to cook himself. Access to diverse cookings and foreign flavors is a huge plus along with streetwear shops.

Basically we'd just like to rent a home in a safe, affordable, family attractive area that has our interests in Central Cali. Please give me your opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 12:26 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
My first inclination would be Santa Cruz, but your $2000 budget is sadly too small - as even a 1br apartment now goes for $2200+ on average. So I think SLO would be the most logical choice, as Bakersfield is probably too conservative/rednecky, and Santa Barbara is quite expensive (and "snootier" than what you'd like).

Old 07-16-2017, 07:47 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My first inclination would be Santa Cruz, but your $2000 budget is sadly too small - as even a 1br apartment now goes for $2200+ on average. So I think SLO would be the most logical choice, as Bakersfield is probably too conservative/rednecky, and Santa Barbara is quite expensive (and "snootier" than what you'd like).
Slo. The people who are voting for santa cruz are likely out of date on the cost of rentals in sc. Even five years ago, 2k would not have gotten much, now 2k will get you only a tiny craphole.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:34 PM

295 posts, read 337,802 times
You can't live on the central coast for 2,000 dollars. I'm sorry.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:19 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymike View Post
You can't live on the central coast for 2,000 dollars. I'm sorry.
Not true in slo pismo area. Not a great or big place, but you can rent a home in that area. Its not santa barbara or santa cruz yet in terms of cost.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:30 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Renting an actual house for $2K is pretty much impossible these days, even 1br apartments in "good" areas are hard to find.

Bakersfield, the rent is cheap, but it's a depressing place. Super "rural", nothing but dirt and fields, and as someone mentioned, vey "redneck". A lot of blue collar, hard working individuals (which is a great thing).

I'd go with San Luis Obispso as well. Not a bad Area, plus you'd be close to Morro Bay which is a nice ocean area.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom_ca View Post
Hello there!

My family and I would like to move out of San Diego in about a year's time. We are a young, frugal family that consists of me (20), my S/O (24) and our infant. I'm born and raised from Sacramento CA and my S/O was born and raised from here, in San Diego. Each of our families reside where we grew up in and we'd like to move to CenCal so we're equally away from both families. We'd also like to eventually and affordably get out of our living situation. Our budget to rent a home could be no larger than $2,000

I currently am a Certified Nursing Assistant and in a years time, I'd like to be working as a medical biller and coder/transcriptionist because I'd like a future career in a telecommuting position. I'm a new mom and would consider myself pretty crunchy (cloth diaper, organic eating, holistic medicine, clean consumer). I enjoy being near more naturally beautiful environments rather than city attractions. I hope to homeschool my child; Access to bookstores and shopping is a must. I love farmers markets, metaphysical, and holistic shops! I'd just like to be in an area where I can fine things within my interests (hippie-ish/alternative lifestyle things but I also like current and trendy things) while being in a more naturally beautiful and clean environment. Great college schooling options would be a major plus and being near the ocean is also a must.

My S/O works in the cannabis industry. He loves his job working in dispensaries and legal marijuana IS his hobby. Growing and smoking is what he loves to do along with promoting its medicinal power and using it in other forms. I'd have to move to an area where there is common interest in the cannabis scene. He's also a foodie (go figure) who loves to cook himself. Access to diverse cookings and foreign flavors is a huge plus along with streetwear shops.

Basically we'd just like to rent a home in a safe, affordable, family attractive area that has our interests in Central Cali. Please give me your opinions
Then forget about Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo as dispensaries are banned in those counties. The only county bordering Santa Barbara County with dispensaries is - surprisingly - Kern. You wouldn't expect Kern County to be better on cannabis issues than SB, SLO, or Ventura counties, considering its redneck, social conservative, and law-and-order image, and it being the southernmost red county in CA, but there are dispensaries in Bakersfield while there are not in SLO or SB.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:16 PM

266 posts, read 334,133 times
Dispensaries are banned in Fresno, but there will be medical dispenseries in 2019. City council said as much. They might even revote and let in regular dispenseries.

https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/in...ifornia/fresno

Weed delivery services. You can still get weed delivered in fresno

You should consider the tower district in Fresno as well.
Its a very liberal neighborhood near downtown Fresno. You can walk/bike to the local community college and walk/bike to the neighborhood restaurants/bars. You won't feel out of place, lots of young, artsy ppl live there.

1k will get you a 3/4 bedroom house.

http://www.visitcalifornia.com/attra...tower-district

Gl

Old 07-20-2017, 04:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Default Crunchy Mom and Cannabis Industry Dad want to move to CenCal

"Crunchy," huh? Isn't that the way something crisp sounds while you're chewing it? Think good pickles.

Cloth diapers are crunchy? What are you feeding that child?

Bakersfield = Cheaper and worse air. Decidedly depressing and unattractive. SLO the better option by far.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
"Crunchy," huh? Isn't that the way something crisp sounds while you're chewing it? Think good pickles.

Cloth diapers are crunchy? What are you feeding that child?

Bakersfield = Cheaper and worse air. Decidedly depressing and unattractive. SLO the better option by far.
And yet people who live in Bakersfield like it. There seems to be a disconnect. Outsiders think it stinks. People who live there like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California