Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:04 AM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You will judge a place based on one visit, how open minded is that?
I said "to each their own." I don't see how that's being close minded. Even if I am, I'm too old to give a hoot what others think. Move on and judge someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 11:07 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
California is mostly conservative. Look at the county by county Presidential election results. It is L.A. and San Fran, and the coastal area that controls California unfortunately. It has become a one party state, and that party is both corrupt, and very, very misguided.

And yes, I have lived in California in the past.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:15 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
California is mostly conservative. Look at the county by county Presidential election results. It is L.A. and San Fran, and the coastal area that controls California unfortunately. It has become a one party state, and that party is both corrupt, and very, very misguided.

And yes, I have lived in California in the past.
True, but those who voted the politicians into office cannot admit it.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:28 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Funny how you didn't acknowledge the articles comparing Texas economic growth to California that I posted above.

I don't have anything against Texas. I've spent a lot of time there, conducted business there, have friends who live there and I like certain parts of the state very much.

But, we have a lot of people on this forum who don't live in California who seem to delight in expressing their opinions about our great state, so I don't understand what the problem is when non-Texans want to express their opinions about Texas.

Seems to me that if it is OK to bash one state that you don't live in, it should be OK to bash other states you don't live in.

Or, maybe people should gripe about ANY state where they don't live and pay taxes?

California has the highest poverty rate in the nation if you adjust for cost of living .
How is all that "economic growth" working for the average person ?

I know us Californians love to talk about our tech economy.
But the fastest growing job sector in Silicoln valley is waiters and other makes $30,000 or less.

Sure but Jerry Brown will " fix it "with his $15 min wage ...

I'm sure that when they make $15 hour they'll be able to afford $2 million homes in Palo Alto

Very good article
http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/califo...162707983.html

Last edited by jm1982; 07-21-2017 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-21-2017, 11:32 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
Texas has higher property taxes, among the highest in the nation actually.
But at least owning a home isn't a fantasy in Texas for so many like it is in CA these days.
Property taxes also might be higher but the taxes are actually being used more efficiently.

Meanwhile California is introducing more and more taxes for things that should of already been taken care of . A great example is the recent gas tax .

Old 07-21-2017, 11:47 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
But at least owning a home isn't a fantasy in Texas for so many like it is in CA these days.
Property taxes also might be higher but the taxes are actually being used more efficiently.

Meanwhile California is introducing more and more taxes for things that should of already been taken care of . A great example is the recent gas tax .
I lived in TX for 5 years. The propertyy TAX rate was higher. Then I moved to SoCal and bought a nice home (new) at a higher price than in TX and .................. my actual property tax was the same dollar amount as in TX except I was on 3.5 acres in TX, had a huge barn, a large swimming pool, several out buildings and was 5 minutes max from town and 20 minutes from Dallas. In CA I had a bout 6000 sq ft.

CA has a lower %. unless you count in Mello Roos and HOA's, then it is as bad or worse. When it comes to actual dollar amounts TX is less expensive home for home of the same type and location as it were.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:48 AM

234 posts, read 303,402 times
I don't see why people think owning a house in California is impossible. Yes, if you want to live in San Francisco or San Diego, yea, you are going to pay a premium price because everyone wants to live there. It's similar to NYC or any other highly desirable area.

There are plenty of affordable places in California.

Sacramento/Redding
Bakersfield/Fresno
Temecula/Murrieta
Santa Maria/Lompoc

To name a few...work hard and make some money and then move to the coast when you can afford it. Perhaps you'll simply enjoy living in those areas instead of ultimately moving anyway. They are still some great areas with lots to do; and still preferable to Texas.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:05 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Wouldn't it be great if ALL conservatives moved to Texas??

Old 07-21-2017, 12:11 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

The gas tax is just the beginning. CA has a plan to turn this state into some sort of car free Utopia at the tune of $556 billion. Less suburban building, more apartment homes. They want you to live, work and shop in the same building and bike everywhere. Lol.

Quote:
On April 7, 2016, SCAG’s Regional Council adopted the 2016-2040 Regional Transportation Plan/ Sustainable Communities Strategy (2016 RTP/SCS or Plan). The Plan is a long-range visioning plan that balances future mobility and housing needs with economic, environmental and public health goals. The Plan charts a course for closely integrating land use and transportation – so that the region can grow smartly and sustainably. It outlines more than $556.5 billion in transportation system investments through 2040.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Wouldn't it be great if ALL conservatives moved to Texas??
Someone has to keep this place from becoming Venezuela 2.0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California