U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 11:25 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,510,480 times

Advertisements

Exactly there is no perfect place, it's a matter of trade offs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 11:52 AM

17,456 posts, read 10,534,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S76 View Post
But there is a best place.
For each person, but not for everyone. CA used to be flat out the best place, but not anymore. A good place for some and not so good for others. That fits every State and person.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
But there is a best place.
And I would say CA is the the closest to being the best, yes. I can agree with that. But at the same time, it's still a matter of trade offs and those trade offs might skewer some people to think that CA might not be the best for them. And that doesn't have to do with just affordability. Some people just have different preferences.

I mean I don't get this insistence to get people to accept that CA is the best and no exceptions.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
For each person, but not for everyone. CA used to be flat out the best place, but not anymore. A good place for some and not so good for others. That fits every State and person.
I have to agree, several decades ago I could see how it would have to be CA or NYC or bust. But now many states have developed and their cities have developed to offer many more amenities than before. Granted, CA has had ample time to develop making in miles ahead but at the same time the gap between CA and other states is no longer a grand canyon of a gap.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I don't agree that CA used to be flat out the best place. That is impossible to prove, and based on your second two sentences, not true.
S76, this is just getting weird now. I don't know what else you want people to admit here? People are trying to be well balanced by saying that while CA is still the best, that it matters from person to person and that the rest of the country is no longer just fly over country. They've developed. The country has developed and that's a good thing, is it not?

Old 07-25-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I have to agree, several decades ago I could see how it would have to be CA or NYC or bust. But now many states have developed and their cities have developed to offer many more amenities than before. Granted, CA has had ample time to develop making in miles ahead but at the same time the gap between CA and other states is no longer a grand canyon of a gap.
Plus CA now has some negatives now it did not have in the past. Improvements, yes, but for many offset by the problems. Each must make a choice as to what is best for them.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 PM

872 posts, read 1,546,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Agreed with TristamShandy. If you want to live in a better state you have to possess the requisite skills to land the good paying jobs and most of those jobs are very high skilled, higher skilled than in other industries in other states and the competition is fierce.

CA is developing into a hub for all the highly skilled creative people of the country. That's a good thing. On the downside it hurts people who are less skilled and also because some low skilled and manual labor is leaving the state. Some, not all. Many of the big firms are moving their hands on stuff to other states while leaving the brain power in CA.

So the differences between CA and TX have to do with the states catering to different skill sets.
You want to know what skill is in short supply in Houston? Welders. Huge downstream infrastructure including chem plants. Upstream including automated rigs. The massive engineering sector here creates the projects that require riggers, drivers, welders, assemblers, pipe-fitters, instrumentation techs, you name it. Unlike in CA the trades people are the foundation to putting together the projects that drive the Texas economy. The liquefaction trains that are ramping up supply to Europe of LNG are designed here. All this stuff cannot happen without the blue collar guys.

But see New Orleans has the Garden District and the Quarter gets all the good press as does the Bay Area with the high tech.

Trust me, undersea robots that can travel down a pipeline and weld from the inside are pretty high tech.

BTW another Davis Mountains photo added to my last post.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I don't agree that CA used to be flat out the best place. That is impossible to prove, and based on your second two sentences, not true.
Well I was born and raise in SoCal and have lived there the majority of my life and lived in 6 other States as well, so I do have some idea of what I am talking about. The second 2 are true as each must decide what is best for them and some, as several of my employees have said, when sent to visit my CA office, that they would never want to live in CA. There is no perfect place and every State has things that make it a good place for some and not for others.

Plus living in a State does not make the resident any better than anyone else in another State, no matter how little or how much money they have.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:08 PM

I can see the vestiges of what truly made this state without question the best in the country, no contest. I still think those leftover vestiges are what make this state the best, among other newer things. But I could only imagine what it was like to live in CA years ago. My co-workers wax on romantically about CA decades ago and how it was paradise on Earth. They make it sound like a Beach Boys song.

But that maybe just nostalgia, I don't know. I still thin that with all it's new negatives, CA is still an amazing and the best state by default.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Plus living in a State does not make the resident any better than anyone else in another State, no matter how little or how much money they have.
I thought that was weird and the people doing this might be politically partisan transplants themselves not natives. They fight tooth and nail for immigrants from other countries including illegal ones who break the law among other crimes. Yet, when it comes to American citizens who might leave the state for financial reasons, they're like "good riddance, ya failure."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or