U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-04-2017, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,447 posts, read 23,897,883 times
Reputation: 7265

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I am surprised Dallas hasn't taken the helm as a new creative class hub city. From what I hear, and I haven't been back there since 2002, it's turned into a mix of Houston and Austin. It has a creative tech scene, a fine arts scene and big young urban professional class. I am interested in visiting. When I visited Austin a friend of mine said that Austin and Dallas were looking similar, with Austin gentrifying more (i.e. he meant turning more "corporate") and Dallas becoming more creative, techie, (i.e. hipster, yuppie). Apparently just as many Californians are moving to Dallas as they are Austin, only I think it's a different type. I am guessing the more crunchy ones from the Bay Area prefer Austin and people who cannot afford LA and the OC move to Dallas. IDK. The working class from CA are supposedly moving to Houston and San Antonio.
Moving from LA to Austin has become a cliche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2017, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,140,090 times
Reputation: 10277
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Moving from LA to Austin has become a cliche.
And its actually somewhat ironic. Way more people from the LA area move to the Dallas/Fort Worth Area than the Austin area. Thats a statistical fact, but outside the DFW area itself, no one seems to know much about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 10:06 AM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,512,312 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
And its actually somewhat ironic. Way more people from the LA area move to the Dallas/Fort Worth Area than the Austin area. Thats a statistical fact, but outside the DFW area itself, no one seems to know much about it.
Cowboys, why Houston and not Dallas for you? What would you say were the differences that separate the two cities, the good and bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Nashville TN, Cincinnati, OH
1,798 posts, read 1,152,272 times
Reputation: 2311
Texas might be a boring place to visit but it is a good place to live same with TN. I love California scenery and the people are super friendly and outgoing but the prices for homes are outrageous. I technically could move to California and afford it on my salary but would still be hard to get a home I want on the budget I would want to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 10:14 AM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,512,312 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Texas might be a boring place to visit but it is a good place to live same with TN. I love California scenery and the people are super friendly and outgoing but the prices for homes are outrageous. I technically could move to California and afford it on my salary but would still be hard to get a home I want on the budget I would want to pay for it.
That's a good way of looking at it. Texas is a boring place to visit, if you don't have someone in the know to show you around. But it's a great place to live. I think it's because Texas cities lack the tourist traps and outlined destination routes to anything worth seeing. You have to find everything yourself. You have to carve your own niche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,140,090 times
Reputation: 10277
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Cowboys, why Houston and not Dallas for you? What would you say were the differences that separate the two cities, the good and bad?
Its funny you ask because my first stop in Texas was Dallas. I lived in Uptown, Addison, and had a house in Plano.

People often ask me which I like me and honestly, I cant really come up with a straight answer. I love both cities a lot. I loved Dallas because I had the best group of friends (the most diverse, most fun, and most eclectic) of anywhere Ive ever lived (LA, Chicago, DC, and here in Houston). I loved Plano. As a suburb, it really has it all. I loved Bishop Arts which still maintained the Mexican feel of Oak Cliff but also a great dinning and creative feel to it. Its definitely the most "Austin" place outside of Austin in Texas (IMO). I loved being close to Fort Worth because it was so different than Dallas and with just a 30 minute drive you could feel like you were worlds away. Im also not gay, but Dallas' gay nightlife was something to behold. Comparable to LA in many ways. Dallas is also wayyyy more diverse than people give it credit for. Not to the degree of Houston but more so than many other cities its size like Atlanta, Philadelphia, etc.

After a few years in Dallas, I took a job transfer to Houston. I love how international, diverse, and laid back it is here. The people here are the least assuming and most genuine Ive ever encountered. People back home dont believe me when I tell them that Houston is literally the least race conscious place in the US. You know Im a liberal guy, but I HATE liberals who throw a fit because they love the idea of diversity so long as its on the other side of the tracks (which is an attitude that was pretty rampant in a lot of areas of both Texas and California). Houston (and many parts of Dallas too) fly in the face of that attitude. Diversity is everywhere and cant be escaped, but people in Houston dont want to escape it. We embrace it!

Austin is just Austin. Great city for a weekend. By far the prettiest city in Texas and the outdoor activities are abundant, but its just so granola and vanilla. It isnt for me.

LA will always be home and I specifically miss Torrance very much. Torrance was ideal for growing up. It is very safe, near the beach, PV, and you could go to LA anytime you wanted. If I could afford to live in Torrance like I live in Houston, Id be there. I cant, but Dallas and Houston are equally great for me. I dont have that emotional attachment I have to Torrance, but no place will ever be like your hometown. Id rather live like a king in Houston or Dallas, than scrape paycheck to paycheck in Torrance. Dallas and Houston are not 2nd prize. I dont look at them like that. They are great cities that hold their own to anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 11:42 AM
 
10,097 posts, read 7,512,312 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Its funny you ask because my first stop in Texas was Dallas. I lived in Uptown, Addison, and had a house in Plano.

People often ask me which I like me and honestly, I cant really come up with a straight answer. I love both cities a lot. I loved Dallas because I had the best group of friends (the most diverse, most fun, and most eclectic) of anywhere Ive ever lived (LA, Chicago, DC, and here in Houston). I loved Plano. As a suburb, it really has it all. I loved Bishop Arts which still maintained the Mexican feel of Oak Cliff but also a great dinning and creative feel to it. Its definitely the most "Austin" place outside of Austin in Texas (IMO). I loved being close to Fort Worth because it was so different than Dallas and with just a 30 minute drive you could feel like you were worlds away. Im also not gay, but Dallas' gay nightlife was something to behold. Comparable to LA in many ways. Dallas is also wayyyy more diverse than people give it credit for. Not to the degree of Houston but more so than many other cities its size like Atlanta, Philadelphia, etc.

After a few years in Dallas, I took a job transfer to Houston. I love how international, diverse, and laid back it is here. The people here are the least assuming and most genuine Ive ever encountered. People back home dont believe me when I tell them that Houston is literally the least race conscious place in the US. You know Im a liberal guy, but I HATE liberals who throw a fit because they love the idea of diversity so long as its on the other side of the tracks (which is an attitude that was pretty rampant in a lot of areas of both Texas and California). Houston (and many parts of Dallas too) fly in the face of that attitude. Diversity is everywhere and cant be escaped, but people in Houston dont want to escape it. We embrace it!

Austin is just Austin. Great city for a weekend. By far the prettiest city in Texas and the outdoor activities are abundant, but its just so granola and vanilla. It isnt for me.

LA will always be home and I specifically miss Torrance very much. Torrance was ideal for growing up. It is very safe, near the beach, PV, and you could go to LA anytime you wanted. If I could afford to live in Torrance like I live in Houston, Id be there. I cant, but Dallas and Houston are equally great for me. I dont have that emotional attachment I have to Torrance, but no place will ever be like your hometown. Id rather live like a king in Houston or Dallas, than scrape paycheck to paycheck in Torrance. Dallas and Houston are not 2nd prize. I dont look at them like that. They are great cities that hold their own to anywhere.

Dude, you're getting another slice of life and learning how to be liberal in a non-coastal elitist way that I find myself constantly surrounded by here in LA. The media type liberalism that bleeds into the popular culture and to regular residents. People look at me like I am crazy when I tell them that Houston is diverse. Or that it's big. Or when I answer that it wasn't as big a culture shock for me to move out to LA because Houston prepared for big diverse city life.

Dallas to me seems like such as good compromise between Austin and Houston. If I were to move I'd want to check out Dallas. As much as I think Houston is getting CA transplants I think the professionals streaming into Houston are mostly from Chicago and NYC from what I've heard from people. Dallas and Austin are getting more CA professionals and they're changing up the landscape.

It should show how a city is reflected by it's people. Houston is sort of reminding of something more reminiscent of the east coast, whether southeast or northeast, every time I visit, and Austin is reminding more and more of the Bay Area (not SF) every time I head over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,140,090 times
Reputation: 10277
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-45 View Post
Yep. The In-laws moved from Memphis to Dallas. I loved going to Memphis to visit them because there were great food options and night life. Dallas is 100% blah. However, for them as far as amenities, job opportunities, home appreciation, etc Dallas is way better.
Dallas has way better food on the whole than Memphis. What Memphis has that Dallas lacks is great regional cuisine. Dallas has much better ethnic food and fine dining. Dallas doesnt have great regional cuisine which Memphis does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,140,090 times
Reputation: 10277
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Dude, you're getting another slice of life and learning how to be liberal in a non-coastal elitist way that I find myself constantly surrounded by here in LA. The media type liberalism that bleeds into the popular culture and to regular residents. People look at me like I am crazy when I tell them that Houston is diverse. Or that it's big. Or when I answer that it wasn't as big a culture shock for me to move out to LA because Houston prepared for big diverse city life.

Dallas to me seems like such as good compromise between Austin and Houston. If I were to move I'd want to check out Dallas. As much as I think Houston is getting CA transplants I think the professionals streaming into Houston are mostly from Chicago and NYC from what I've heard from people. Dallas and Austin are getting more CA professionals and they're changing up the landscape.

It should show how a city is reflected by it's people. Houston is sort of reminding of something more reminiscent of the east coast, whether southeast or northeast, every time I visit, and Austin is reminding more and more of the Bay Area (not SF) every time I head over there.
Too many people have the attitude that "if you dont agree with me, to hell with you". I see it on both sides. I have conservative family members that wont speak to me because Im liberal and not Christian. But conservatives dont pretend to be tolerant. Liberals preach tolerance left and right and as of late, many just want the echo chamber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 12:11 PM
 
17,464 posts, read 10,539,112 times
Reputation: 8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Its funny you ask because my first stop in Texas was Dallas. I lived in Uptown, Addison, and had a house in Plano.

People often ask me which I like me and honestly, I cant really come up with a straight answer. I love both cities a lot. I loved Dallas because I had the best group of friends (the most diverse, most fun, and most eclectic) of anywhere Ive ever lived (LA, Chicago, DC, and here in Houston). I loved Plano. As a suburb, it really has it all. I loved Bishop Arts which still maintained the Mexican feel of Oak Cliff but also a great dinning and creative feel to it. Its definitely the most "Austin" place outside of Austin in Texas (IMO). I loved being close to Fort Worth because it was so different than Dallas and with just a 30 minute drive you could feel like you were worlds away. Im also not gay, but Dallas' gay nightlife was something to behold. Comparable to LA in many ways. Dallas is also wayyyy more diverse than people give it credit for. Not to the degree of Houston but more so than many other cities its size like Atlanta, Philadelphia, etc.

After a few years in Dallas, I took a job transfer to Houston. I love how international, diverse, and laid back it is here. The people here are the least assuming and most genuine Ive ever encountered. People back home dont believe me when I tell them that Houston is literally the least race conscious place in the US. You know Im a liberal guy, but I HATE liberals who throw a fit because they love the idea of diversity so long as its on the other side of the tracks (which is an attitude that was pretty rampant in a lot of areas of both Texas and California). Houston (and many parts of Dallas too) fly in the face of that attitude. Diversity is everywhere and cant be escaped, but people in Houston dont want to escape it. We embrace it!

Austin is just Austin. Great city for a weekend. By far the prettiest city in Texas and the outdoor activities are abundant, but its just so granola and vanilla. It isnt for me.

LA will always be home and I specifically miss Torrance very much. Torrance was ideal for growing up. It is very safe, near the beach, PV, and you could go to LA anytime you wanted. If I could afford to live in Torrance like I live in Houston, Id be there. I cant, but Dallas and Houston are equally great for me. I dont have that emotional attachment I have to Torrance, but no place will ever be like your hometown. Id rather live like a king in Houston or Dallas, than scrape paycheck to paycheck in Torrance. Dallas and Houston are not 2nd prize. I dont look at them like that. They are great cities that hold their own to anywhere.
This is so true. I have lived all over SoCal and in TX near Dallas. Both have good and bad and neither is so superior to the other that it should be the only place anyone would want to move to. A lot of beauty around Dallas and a lot of lakes. CA has great beaches (With cold water). I would not want to live any where near a person who elevated one State and denigrated the other. They are lousy people to be near.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top