U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-21-2017, 05:24 PM
 
17,369 posts, read 10,452,595 times
Reputation: 8285

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
And then pay the sky-high property taxes in TX? Yeah, that makes sense
But your house will costs less so even with higher property taxes your actual $$ cost will be less than CA AND no State Income tax and NO other high taxes and fees. You are wayyyy ahead in TX if you sell and move there from CA.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2017, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
8,844 posts, read 2,629,435 times
Reputation: 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
But at least owning a home isn't a fantasy in Texas for so many like it is in CA these days.
Do you actually realize that the reason California is so expensive is because it is so popular? This is your argument, with the geographies substituted: "Fed up with Aspen, Colorado, some conservatives look to Jackson, Mississippi. This is not surprising considering how far to the left Aspen has become and how much further to the left it continues to go. At least owning a home isn't a fantasy in Jackson like it is for so many in Aspen these days."

Places are expensive because they are desirable. And you can be sure there are many people leaving conservative states to more liberal states because they don't like the conservatism. In fact you need only spend a few minutes perusing the CD forum to learn precisely that. It's not like politically-motivated moving is only in one direction.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 05:47 PM
 
3,873 posts, read 1,176,397 times
Reputation: 3022
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Do you actually realize that the reason California is so expensive is because it is so popular? This is your argument, with the geographies substituted: "Fed up with Aspen, Colorado, some conservatives look to Jackson, Mississippi. This is not surprising considering how far to the left Aspen has become and how much further to the left it continues to go. At least owning a home isn't a fantasy in Jackson like it is for so many in Aspen these days."

Places are expensive because they are desirable. And you can be sure there are many people leaving conservative states to more liberal states because they don't like the conservatism. In fact you need only spend a few minutes perusing the CD forum to learn precisely that. It's not like politically-motivated moving is only in one direction.
Not really. It's because jobs are concentrated in geographical pockets like the SF peninsula and the LA basin.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
8,844 posts, read 2,629,435 times
Reputation: 6767
You're just delaying the same, inevitable question: Why are there so many jobs there? Is it because they are awful places to do business, with no amenities and nobody wants to live there and work in those companies?

I hardly think so. I repeat: Places are expensive because they're popular.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 06:18 PM
 
168 posts, read 103,199 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Not really. It's because jobs are concentrated in geographical pockets like the SF peninsula and the LA basin.
Lol, no no, believe me, it's both.

Monterey, Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara aren't so expensive because they are right next to a bunch of jobs, it's because they are highly desireable places to live.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,244 posts, read 15,197,648 times
Reputation: 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But your house will costs less so even with higher property taxes your actual $$ cost will be less than CA AND no State Income tax and NO other high taxes and fees. You are wayyyy ahead in TX if you sell and move there from CA.
Yes and with the way things are going in CA who knows what other taxes are to come .
We just got a gas tax ... what's next ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,244 posts, read 15,197,648 times
Reputation: 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Do you actually realize that the reason California is so expensive is because it is so popular? This is your argument, with the geographies substituted: "Fed up with Aspen, Colorado, some conservatives look to Jackson, Mississippi. This is not surprising considering how far to the left Aspen has become and how much further to the left it continues to go. At least owning a home isn't a fantasy in Jackson like it is for so many in Aspen these days."

Places are expensive because they are desirable. And you can be sure there are many people leaving conservative states to more liberal states because they don't like the conservatism. In fact you need only spend a few minutes perusing the CD forum to learn precisely that. It's not like politically-motivated moving is only in one direction.
Yes I understand that CA is expensive because it's popular .
The weather , culture , diversity etc .

But Texas is becoming more popular . It's not as expensive because
1) it's not as built out as CA
2) There isn't as much holding back development like in CA .

As Texas becomes more and more built out it will likely change .

Look at CA in the early days .

Hardly anyone lived in Los Angeles in the early 1900s while NYC had a huge population .
For a long time CA was a joke , a no mans land .

In many ways Texas is the new California in terms of opportunity.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
8,844 posts, read 2,629,435 times
Reputation: 6767
^
Exactly. As I said about a month ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
As predictable as the sun rising in the morning, after 20-30 years of Californians fleeing to Texas to escape high costs, high taxes and too many liberals, Texas will - ta da! - have high costs, high taxes and too many liberals, so people will start trying to escape Texas en mass, and there will be Paul Chabots trying to help them escape to ... I dunno. Wyoming, maybe.
Which makes me wonder exactly what the conservatives promoting everyone to move to Texas think they're actually accomplishing? All they're asking for is to repeat what has happened in California. Though undoubtedly they don't realize that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,244 posts, read 15,197,648 times
Reputation: 12092
Another thing....it's not just 'conservatives' moving.
There are serious livability issues in CA today even if one can afford the rent or to buy a home. Homeless issue out of control and all the side effects of that.
Good example here , but there are countless others.
‘It just doesn’t feel safe’: Residents demand cleanup of Orange Line bike path

More crime due to early release of criminals.

Failing schools,etc.

Maybe when people say they want a 'conservative' area they just mean they want a decent one.
Leftist liberal policies are causing the degradation of California's neighborhoods.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,447 posts, read 23,836,969 times
Reputation: 7263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Another thing....it's not just 'conservatives' moving.
There are serious livability issues in CA today even if one can afford the rent or to buy a home. Homeless issue out of control and all the side effects of that.
Good example here , but there are countless others.
‘It just doesn’t feel safe’: Residents demand cleanup of Orange Line bike path

More crime due to early release of criminals.

Failing schools,etc.

Maybe when people say they want a 'conservative' area they just mean they want a decent one.
Leftist liberal policies are causing the degradation of California's neighborhoods.
No Texas city has as much crime as Oakland, San Bernardino, Stockton, or Compton, not even Houston, Texas' most dangerous city.

Los Angeles' crime levels are similar to San Antonio's, which is a considerably more reasonably priced city. Can't find data on SF to make comparisons but I'd guess those are also similar to San Antone.

Austin and El Paso are among the safest cities in the US.

Last edited by majoun; 07-21-2017 at 10:08 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top