U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:30 AM

48 posts, read 28,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
do you consider Naval Academy, to which Carter graduated, as a liberal arts college or an engineering school?
Navy is an engineering school.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:33 AM

48 posts, read 28,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
It's considered a liberal arts college in that it is dedicated to undergraduate instruction as opposed to focusing on academic research.
I disagree. When I went to my friend's graduation there, 95% of the class graduated with some sort of an engineering degree and the other 5% were in econ. That's an engineering school as far as I'm concerned.

Since when does it matter if a school is undergrad vs grad to be considered an engineering school? Harvey Mudd is clearly an engineering school and it's only undergrad.

Engineering is not Liberal Arts. Hard sciences are. Engineering is not.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:29 PM

4,314 posts, read 2,688,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMandarin View Post
I guess you should go be a plumber in a Tennessee then, right?
Anyone who looks at the facts should but I guess you can't put a value on being a metrosexual hipster who lives like a college student to many here.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:36 PM

8,264 posts, read 11,127,425 times
I've been hearing this for at least forty years. Somehow, life goes on.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I've been hearing this for at least forty years. Somehow, life goes on in poverty
Fixed it for you.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:55 PM

31,103 posts, read 13,622,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
not surprised. People can afford these basic $600-700K townhomes just to own. If its a dual income family and one loses their job, its over. Especially now that most mortgages require a good downpayment they would lose a lot. People putting 100-200K down on these 600-700K condo/townhomes or old fixer uppers just so their mortgage is close or under $3K. Then bam they lose it all.
If you live in Nevada and are a dual income family and have a $200 townhouse and one loses their job, bam it's all over there too because they aren't making the same wage as people spending 600k for a townhouse, it's all relative...

Old 07-27-2017, 01:35 PM

7,359 posts, read 4,462,137 times
Quote:
Navy is an engineering school.
Well, the academy does offer engineering as one of many majors, but it also offers other majors, including traditional liberal arts subjects.

But the Naval Academy's primary mission is not to prepare engineers, but military officers.

So, I would not call it an "engineering school."

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-27-2017 at 01:44 PM..

Old 07-27-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you live in Nevada and are a dual income family and have a $200 townhouse and one loses their job, bam it's all over there too because they aren't making the same wage as people spending 600k for a townhouse, it's all relative...
Not really. Salaries in the Bay Area are only 10-30% higher.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:42 PM

7,359 posts, read 4,462,137 times
Quote:
I save 18k in my 401k every year. My wife saves 18k in her 403b every year. As a percentage of gross salary that would be ~25%. We are both under 35 and live in SoCal.
Thanks for answering my question, which is quite pertinent to the topic of this thread, which is whether Californians save or not.

For those who missed it, I asked people who currently reside in California to respond to this question:

How many Californians reading this do put at least a little money into some form of savings over the course of a year?

My husband and I save about 20% of our income every year, through 401K contributions, IRA contributions, regular savings accounts. I don't know if investments like mutual funds should be included, but that would raise our annual savings if so.

When my children were young, some of the money that now goes into our retirement funds was diverted to college savings, although we always put something away for retirement each year. I retired early last year, but we still are in saving mode. We're older than you, TheMandarin, but also live in Southern California.

I'm sure, however, that there must be other Californians reading this thread. Since the topic of the thread was originally how much Californians do or do not save, it would be interesting to hear from a few more folks who live here.

Is there anyone here who lives in California is unable to save anything, like the quoted survey suggests?

Again, not a scientific study, but pertinent to the topic at hand.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:45 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,548,441 times
Quote:
I can assure you that in 2017, the average person in IT with a BSc is making more than the average high school graduate plumber.

Next you're going to tell me that an electrician makes more than a neurosurgeon because you know this one guy that sold his electrical company in Tennessee.
I thought we were comparing liberal arts grads who come out in debt and find paltry job offers vs a guy who learns a lucrative trade. I don't even know how you jumped from electrician to neurosurgeon. They'd make bank anywhere even in lower Manhattan.

The point was for people to reconsider the history degree from the local state school and consider a trade instead. That's all. And some plumbers are living pretty well in other states over a hipster in LA with an anthropology degree from Cal State. Yet it all depends on what those two guys value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or