U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 02:24 PM

48 posts, read 28,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I thought we were comparing liberal arts grads who come out in debt and find paltry job offers vs a guy who learns a lucrative trade. I don't even know how you jumped from electrician to neurosurgeon. They'd make bank anywhere even in lower Manhattan.

The point was for people to reconsider the history degree from the local state school and consider a trade instead. That's all. And some plumbers are living pretty well in other states over a hipster in LA with an anthropology degree from Cal State. Yet it all depends on what those two guys value.
Where was that criteria defined? I must have missed it. Here is what I read in the post that I responded to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But, but don't we all want children to go to college, acquire a huge debt and then find a job???

Humm, many plumbers make more than IT guys and gals. One I know just sold his business and retired with no money worries at all. HS graduate. Some Landscapers make over $90.00 an hour here in TN and in CA a friend was making over $25.00 an hour in the 70's just cutting lawns. In the 50's my step father's Gardner made more than he did and he was graduate of Berkley and was an engineer working for FORD.
I don't see anything about a hipster with an anthropology degree in that post. Can you please show me what I missed?

Old 07-27-2017, 02:39 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,534,996 times
I was referring to earlier in the discussion but your point was valid too

Old 07-27-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Well, the academy does offer engineering as one of many majors, but it also offers other majors, including traditional liberal arts subjects.

But the Naval Academy's primary mission is not to prepare engineers, but military officers.

So, I would not call it an "engineering school."
Of course it's one of the military academies and that is the purpose. But if someone asked me, "is Annapolis an engineering school or a liberal arts school (only two options)?" I would respond that it is an engineering school.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:51 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,269,720 times
I know plenty of people that fall into this category living pay check to pay check. I have coworkers who are around my age ( late 30's -early 40's) and make the same as me and are working poor. I have a manager that makes twice what I make and has a wife who probably makes at least as much as me but they spend it as soon as it comes in. Eating out several times a week, long weekends staying in resorts on the coast, warrior games..ect. They rent and have two new cars, new iphones..but at the end of the day have nothing to show for how much money they are bringing in.My wife and I make under 100k/yr and we basically live like a pauper compared to our contemporaries, but my wife and I scrimped and saved and bought a house in 2011 when the market took a **** getting a very good deal. My PITI house payment in the San Francisco bay area is only $1400/month less than a studio apartment in my town. I drive a 15 year old pickup that isn't pretty but it gets me to where I need to go. We have enough in savings to pay off our house if we wanted to. Maybe one of the main reasons we are more well off than our peers is because we didn't have children. I know a lot of people who had kids before they were financially secure and those kids now kinds of assure that they will not be financially secure. But the downturn we had in 2008-2011 isn't going to be repeated those levels of recessions come around about as often as haileys comet. Look for the next one in 2096. We will have a much smaller recession next time.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Old 07-27-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Old 07-27-2017, 02:55 PM

4,314 posts, read 2,683,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I got mine *********
Such nice input.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I failed at life and still live with my dad at the age of 30.
lulz.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:24 PM

4,314 posts, read 2,683,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMandarin View Post
lulz.
Everyone failed since almost no one can save 1 million dollars in that time frame.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:47 PM

25,274 posts, read 15,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I know plenty of people that fall into this category living pay check to pay check. I have coworkers who are around my age ( late 30's -early 40's) and make the same as me and are working poor. I have a manager that makes twice what I make and has a wife who probably makes at least as much as me but they spend it as soon as it comes in. Eating out several times a week, long weekends staying in resorts on the coast, warrior games..ect. They rent and have two new cars, new iphones..but at the end of the day have nothing to show for how much money they are bringing in.My wife and I make under 100k/yr and we basically live like a pauper compared to our contemporaries, but my wife and I scrimped and saved and bought a house in 2011 when the market took a **** getting a very good deal. My PITI house payment in the San Francisco bay area is only $1400/month less than a studio apartment in my town. I drive a 15 year old pickup that isn't pretty but it gets me to where I need to go. We have enough in savings to pay off our house if we wanted to. Maybe one of the main reasons we are more well off than our peers is because we didn't have children. I know a lot of people who had kids before they were financially secure and those kids now kinds of assure that they will not be financially secure. But the downturn we had in 2008-2011 isn't going to be repeated those levels of recessions come around about as often as haileys comet. Look for the next one in 2096. We will have a much smaller recession next time.
And the classic part is im sure some will say that you "got lucky"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or