U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 08:26 PM

5,908 posts, read 1,997,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
All colleges, including the UCs, ask for a final transcript at the end of senior year. Every offer of admission comes with the caveat that your admission is contingent on successfully completing senior year grades. While it's true that the UCs and Cal States only use 11th and 10th grade grades to make admissions decisions, they still look at your senior year grades at the end of the year to make sure you've completed the courses you listed on your application. They also look at final transcripts to make sure you've completed the required A-G coursework by the end of senior year.

The news here is that UC Irvine revoked admission for so many students this year. While I've seen many colleges and universities revoke a small handful of admissions offers, this is an unusually large number. And, apparently, UC Irvine also didn't handle the notification as well as they could have.
Well, I attended a UC and that wasn't the practice when I entered. Obviously, something changed between then and now.

As for making sure you've completed the courses you listed on your application, you're referring to courses in progress when the application was submitted, I assume? Except since applications are accepted starting August 1 this isn't always relevant because those students might not have any idea what their final year courses are going to be, because course schedules have not been finalized.

The only point of a final official transcript should be to verify whether you have or have not met the admissions requirements in terms of the minimum academic credits. Because admission was made on the basis of only the information available when the application was made, it would be patently unfair to rescind an offer because new information came to light after an offer of admission was already extended (and accepted, apparently).
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 10:58 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,419,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
As for making sure you've completed the courses you listed on your application, you're referring to courses in progress when the application was submitted, I assume? Except since applications are accepted starting August 1 this isn't always relevant because those students might not have any idea what their final year courses are going to be, because course schedules have not been finalized.
No, all classes an applicant anticipates taking senior year must be listed on the application when they submit the application. They must notify the UC they applied to immediately if they change any of the classes from those listed on the application. The UC makes it clear that this is a requirements and you are subject to being rescinded if you don't notify them.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:51 AM

7,289 posts, read 4,383,643 times
Quote:
Well, I attended a UC and that wasn't the practice when I entered. Obviously, something changed between then and now.

Perhaps you are remembering incorrectly. For at least the last 15 years, the UCs have required all admitted applicants who'll be attending to send in an official final OFFICIAL transcript showing they successfully completed all of the A-G courses they self-reported on their application. The UCs also use the final official transcript to confirm that the student's self-reported grades and A-G classes taken earlier than senior year were truthful.

Here's the information right from the UC admissions site:

Provisional admission

Offers of admission are provisional until the campus receives your final official transcript and verifies successful completion of all coursework required for UC eligibility. Each campus provides newly admitted students with conditions for admissions that must be satisfied prior to enrollment at the University.

Admissions decisions | UC Admissions

But the UCs and Cal States are not alone in this. Admissions offers to all colleges are provisional. If new information comes to the college's attention between acceptance and enrollment colleges can - and do - revoke offers of admission before freshman year starts.

Each college has its own policies and procedures but some of the reasons offers can be revoked can include failing grades in senior year core classes, serious drop in GPA, disciplinary action for cheating or other behaviors, or it is discovered that you lied on the application. Some colleges are more likely to revoke than others. Many give students a chance to explain what happened (as UCI did).

Usually, however, colleges don't revoke 500 admissions offers in a single year. That really is the news here about UCI- the number revoked this year.

Perhaps you just didn't realize this when you applied to college. But trust me, it's true. As a school counselor, I had students who had their offers revoked (or were threatened with it) by the UCs, Cal States, and other colleges many times.

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-29-2017 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 12:45 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,678,864 times
Try UC Merced. Its turned into the safety net school of the system given how new and developing it is (70% acceptance rate). That or UC Riverside (57%). Really, if those are mostly commuters from OC they should just go to Cal State Fullerton or Long Beach. No one pays much attention to where your BS or BA came from. Its the postgraduate school that counts.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:29 PM

5,908 posts, read 1,997,798 times
Quote:
Perhaps you are remembering incorrectly. For at least the last 15 years, the UCs have required all admitted applicants who'll be attending to send in an official final OFFICIAL transcript showing they successfully completed all of the A-G courses they self-reported on their application. The UCs also use the final official transcript to confirm that the student's self-reported grades and A-G classes taken earlier than senior year were truthful.

Here's the information right from the UC admissions site:

Provisional admission

Offers of admission are provisional until the campus receives your final official transcript and verifies successful completion of all coursework required for UC eligibility. Each campus provides newly admitted students with conditions for admissions that must be satisfied prior to enrollment at the University.

Admissions decisions | UC Admissions

But the UCs and Cal States are not alone in this. Admissions offers to all colleges are provisional. If new information comes to the college's attention between acceptance and enrollment colleges can - and do - revoke offers of admission before freshman year starts.

Each college has its own policies and procedures but some of the reasons offers can be revoked can include failing grades in senior year core classes, serious drop in GPA, disciplinary action for cheating or other behaviors, or it is discovered that you lied on the application. Some colleges are more likely to revoke than others. Many give students a chance to explain what happened (as UCI did).

Usually, however, colleges don't revoke 500 admissions offers in a single year. That really is the news here about UCI- the number revoked this year.

Perhaps you just didn't realize this when you applied to college. But trust me, it's true. As a school counselor, I had students who had their offers revoked (or were threatened with it) by the UCs, Cal States, and other colleges many times.
I entered a lot more than 15 years ago...but my point is , even this guideline says its only to verify you have the credits you need. Nothing about grades or GPA anywhere in these guidelines. You're claiming this is apparently widespread practice. But if it is, then why is there no evidence of it?

It makes sense to verify the student has the right number of credits to enter a UC. And also to verify they met the minimum requirements for pre-requisite courses.

But GPA is not mentioned.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:21 PM

7,289 posts, read 4,383,643 times
Quote:
I entered a lot more than 15 years ago...but my point is , even this guideline says its only to verify you have the credits you need. Nothing about grades or GPA anywhere in these guidelines. You're claiming this is apparently widespread practice. But if it is, then why is there no evidence of it?

When students submit their enrollment deposit to any UC campus, they are required to sign a formal agreement called a Freshman Provisional Admission Contract that goes into great detail about under what conditions their offer of admission can be revoked.

The Contracts are pretty much the same at all of the UCs, but let's use UC Irvine's. Here are some key excerpts that should help you understand what "successful completion" means:

UCI Freshman Provisional Admission Contract 2017-2018

Please read this contract before submitting your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) and be sure to keep it for your records. Submitting a positive SIR and accepting this offer of admission certifies that you understand and agree to comply with all of the conditions of this provisional admission contract.

CONDITIONS FOR ADMISSION TO UCI

1. You must:

Meet all provisional requirements as expressed in this contract, and in your personalized Freshman Conditions as found in your MyAdmission account at www.admissions.uci.edu.

Receive a high school diploma or equivalency.

Complete all senior year courses as listed on your application.

Maintain at least a weighted 3.0 senior year GPA in UC-approved courses.

The following situations may result in the withdrawal of your admission offer:
a) any D or F grades in your senior year a-g courses,
b) taking courses that are less rigorous than reported on your application,
c) not maintaining UC Eligibility.

2. By July 1, 2017, you must:

Submit an official final high school transcript to the UCI Admissions Office that confirms the exact date of your graduation (month, day and year) and verifies your self-reported academic record.

http://admissions.uci.edu/myadm/freshman_contract.html

====

Hope this clarifies!

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-29-2017 at 09:10 PM..

Old 07-30-2017, 06:53 AM

11,492 posts, read 3,141,729 times
Quote:
Well, I attended a UC and that wasn't the practice when I entered.
Same here.

I remember A-F requirements (not A-G), and 10th, 11th, and FIRST semester of 12th grade grades comprising one's 'UC GPA'. I guess if someone didn't pass the second semester of a class in 12th grade there might have been an issue but, AFAIK, that didn't happen to any of my peers.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:38 AM

12,979 posts, read 6,196,582 times
Quote:
Remember when UC Irvine was the "safety school" no one wanted to go to? UCI got more freshman applications than Berkeley this year. The little secret is that UCI has always been a much better school than people gave it credit for.
I agree. My nephew and niece graduated from here. Both are doctors now.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:40 AM

12,979 posts, read 6,196,582 times
Quote:
So when did looking at senior year grades become a thing? The UC system has never included senior year grades in the GPA calculation and applied it retroactively after admission offers had been extended and accepted. This sounds more like an excuse to solve their overbooking problems.

Not a big loss though. UCI kinda sucks.
Other UCs did. I think UCLA requires a 3.0 UW GPA for senior year. UCSD would reject if you get a D or your GPA is below 3.0 weighted average.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 07-30-2017 at 08:11 AM..

Old 07-30-2017, 01:06 PM

32,037 posts, read 32,836,483 times
Quote:
I always warned my students that senior year grades matter. This year, more than ever. Regardless, I really feel for the kids and parents going through this -- it's too late to accept another college's offer.

The University of California at Irvine apologized on Friday for rescinding 500 offers of admission just before the start of the fall term. The Los Angeles Times reported that the last-minute reversals had elicited criticism from prospective students on social media.

The campus said the offers had been withdrawn because of transcript problems and bad senior-year grades, but students writing on social media said the reasons provided to them had been insufficient or nonexistent.

The Times reported that 7,100 of the 31,103 freshmen (out of 104,000 applicants) who were offered admission to UC-Irvine had accepted it by May. That put the university 850 students over its planned freshman class of 6,250.

UC-Irvine Withdraws 500 Admissions Offers 2 Months Before Fall Term – The Ticker - Blogs - The Chronicle of Higher Education

And, here's the letter UCI's Vice Chancellor sent out:

Important Messages

If your child has been caught up in this, there's still hope. About 50 out of 250 students who filed appeals to this have been reinstated. So, don't hesitate to file an appeal if you think your offer was rescinded in error.

I read about this and it is shameful that this happening so close to the beginning of the new academic year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California