U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 03:27 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,037,890 times

Advertisements

I know that the closer to the ocean, the more expensive; the further away from it (more inland), the cheaper, generally soeaking. But, out of curiousity, what are the cheapest/most expensive counties in California, in terms of COL, median income, etc.?

When I think of one of the cheapest, I think of Imperial County; when I think of one of the most expensive, I think of Orange County.

But, aside from these two, what are some other California counties that are the cheapest/most expensive?

Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 03:43 PM

4,314 posts, read 2,669,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
I know that the closer to the ocean, the more expensive; the further away from it (more inland), the cheaper, generally soeaking. But, out of curiousity, what are the cheapest/most expensive counties in California, in terms of COL, median income, etc.?

When I think of one of the cheapest, I think of Imperial County; when I think of one of the most expensive, I think of Orange County.

But, aside from these two, what are some other California counties that are the cheapest/most expensive?

Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Cheapest: anything inland that's not the inland empire or sac.
Most expensive: Bay area

Old 07-31-2017, 03:52 PM

15,628 posts, read 14,891,593 times
You can Google this stuff, Brandon.

State of Luxury: California Dominates List of Counties With Most Expensive Real Estate - Mansion Global

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live.../s/california/

Old 07-31-2017, 04:11 PM

12,471 posts, read 14,953,510 times
Marin, is the most expensive, likely.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:26 PM

1,069 posts, read 728,322 times
It's hard to say when many of the cheaper areas are within geographically huge counties (Kern, San Bernardino, Riverside).

The cheapest area is along the Colorado River (Needles, Blythe, Winterhaven). From what I understand, the Morongo Basin, Barstow, Ridgecrest and the Southern San Joaquin Valley are the next cheapest.

Imperial County is the cheapest county but the IV is not the cheapest area as it is slightly more expensive than all of the places above.

Most expensive places I imagine would be La Jolla, coastal south OC, Beverly Hills/Brentwood, and the Bay Area. I imagine Marin would be the most expensive county, but most counties are too large for a clear analysis.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:48 PM

2,280 posts, read 3,840,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
The cheapest area is along the Colorado River (Needles, Blythe, Winterhaven). From what I understand, the Morongo Basin, Barstow, Ridgecrest and the Southern San Joaquin Valley are the next cheapest.
CA4Now's link shows Modoc County as the cheapest, not the area along the Colorado River. Second is Lassen County.

Sometimes I wonder if people even know there's a lot of state north of the line stretching from the Bay Area to Lake Tahoe.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
It's hard to say when many of the cheaper areas are within geographically huge counties (Kern, San Bernardino, Riverside).

Imperial County is the cheapest county but the IV is not the cheapest area as it is slightly more expensive than all of the places above.

Most expensive places I imagine would be La Jolla, coastal south OC, Beverly Hills/Brentwood, and the Bay Area. I imagine Marin would be the most expensive county, but most counties are too large for a clear analysis.
True, I currently reside in a cheaper area of Riverside County (the Coachella Valley, specifically Indio).

Really? I always thought that this specific area of California was a bit more expensive than the Imperial Valley. But, nope! I guess I've been wrong this entire time. My guess as to why it's the cheapest is because it's the easternmost area away from many population centers (e.g., LA, San Diego, Inland Empire, OC, Coachella Valley, etc.). But hey, at least they got the Colorado River all to themselves!

Really? All this time, I always thought that the Imperial Valley was the cheapest area in the entire State of California.

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 07-31-2017 at 05:16 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 05:05 PM

What about the counties in NorCal past the SF/Bay Area, such as Modoc, Lassen, Siskiyou, Humboldt, Tehama, Del Norte, Glenn, Alpine, etc.? Aren't they some of the cheapest counties in California as well, besides Imperial? Which of the above counties is more expensive?

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 07-31-2017 at 05:17 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
CA4Now's link shows Modoc County as the cheapest, not the area along the Colorado River. Second is Lassen County.

Sometimes I wonder if people even know there's a lot of state north of the line stretching from the Bay Area to Lake Tahoe.
Ha. I tried to search CL rental prices in those areas but was having a hard time getting results. You want recognition, get some people up there!

P.s. I did check Susanville but it seemed cheap, just not dirt cheap.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
True, I currently reside in a cheaper area of Riverside County (the Coachella Valley, specifically Indio).

Really? I always thought that this specific area of California was a bit more expensive than the Imperial Valley. But, nope! I guess I've been wrong this entire time. My guess as to why it's the cheapest is because it's the easternmost area away from many population centers (e.g., LA, San Diego, Inland Empire, OC, Coachella Valley, etc.). But hey, at least they got the Colorado River all to themselves!

Really? All this time, I always thought that the Imperial Valley was the cheapest area in the entire State of California.
The CV, including Indio is more expensive than the Imperial Valley. Parts of the IV are as cheap as anywhere else (Brawley and areas in Imperial County further north) but El Centro and Calexico are more expensive due to their proximity to the border and Mexicali.

The Colorado River area is cheap due to the isolation and being the hottest place in North America outside of Death Valley. But hey if you can take the heat and being in the middle of nowhere, there are mostly decent 700 sq foot 1 bedrooms in Needles for $400 waiting for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or