U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-30-2018, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
30,902 posts, read 13,468,757 times
Reputation: 22019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I have to ask people who want to personally chat with me, or post fan mail, to take it to PM. I have way too many fans on here to conduct personal conversations within a thread meant to discuss Covered California.
I honestly appreciate the adoration, and attention, but we have to also consider rules of the forum and maintain decorum.
Thanks!
Warmly,
CaliRestoration
Since you were so kind to substantiate your wealth, I decided to forego my humility and provide substantiation of my personal financial situation. Thanks for helping me overcome my reticence in sharing this personal information

 
Old 01-30-2018, 11:56 AM
 
5,099 posts, read 2,734,547 times
Reputation: 4637
Insurers "gained" by ObamaCare From 2016 to 2017.

 
Old 01-30-2018, 12:14 PM
 
Location: So Ca
15,659 posts, read 14,917,746 times
Reputation: 13599
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Fact: Healthcare is a service provided by people who get compensated for their work.
False: Healthcare is a right.

What does any of this stuff you post have to do with a free market? (And who said anything about any commodity being a right? Does anyone have a "right" to a Maserati? How about having a right to a refrigerator?)

Two essential components of a free market are transparent price and transparent quality. We don't have either one in health care. It's not like buying a car, where one can simply shop around to find the best price and the best quality car.
 
Old 01-30-2018, 12:22 PM
 
Location: So Ca
15,659 posts, read 14,917,746 times
Reputation: 13599
"Competition often works. Competing dry cleaners or donut shops must either improve the quality of their product or keep their prices low, or customers will go somewhere else for their cruller fix.....

....There are other reasons that health care doesn’t abide by free-market principles:

Hospitals and emergency departments have to provide care to everyone, even if they can’t pay. Imagine running a grocery store where sometimes you had to give the food away. To stay in business, you’d have to jack up the prices on the paying customers to cover the non-payers

The “barriers to entry” are too high to ensure competition. If a donut shop offers crappy, expensive donuts, another shop can open up across the street. But opening up a hospital is very expensive — and requires government clearance for a “certificate of need” and all sorts of other hoops. Pharmaceutical companies, device manufacturers — these are also very, very expensive companies to start up."


https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2017/08...alth-care.html
 
Old 01-30-2018, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
30,902 posts, read 13,468,757 times
Reputation: 22019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Two essential components of a free market are transparent price and transparent quality. We don't have either one in health care. It's not like buying a car, where one can simply shop around to find the best price and the best quality car.
And another necessary component is elasticity of demand - which is totally lacking in healthcare. If your 3 year old has an asthma attack you don't shop around for the cheapest hospital, nor do you show up in the ER and negotiate price or pick from a list of services and choose which you don't want rendered to your child, i.e. "ok we will pay for the inhaler but go ahead and take her off the oxygen we think she can survive without it" There is no free market in healthcare and never will be.
 
Old 01-30-2018, 12:59 PM
 
Location: On the water.
12,727 posts, read 7,446,718 times
Reputation: 10209
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Fact: Healthcare is a service provided by people who get compensated for their work.
False: Healthcare is a right.

CaliRestoration Fact #1: correct! Very good!

CaliRestoration Claim #2 (that health care is not a right): also true! ... in America ... at this time ... though it IS a right in every other developed, 1st world nation currently ... which is exactly the point of these attempts to create a system addressing America's failure to serve its citizens.
 
Old 01-30-2018, 01:05 PM
 
Location: On the water.
12,727 posts, read 7,446,718 times
Reputation: 10209
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I have to ask people who want to personally chat with me, or post fan mail, to take it to PM. I have way too many fans on here to conduct personal conversations within a thread meant to discuss Covered California.

I honestly appreciate the adoration, and attention, but we have to also consider rules of the forum and maintain decorum.

Thanks!

Warmly,

CaliRestoration
Umm. We appreciate your concern for protocol ... and agree!

However, you, yourself, raised the issue of “establishing credibility” for your topical positions. Thus it IS relevant to question your own representation of your expertise.

That said, I consider that effort sufficiently covered at this point. ... unless, of course, you want to keep bringing personal anecdotal claims forward as “proofs”.
 
Old 01-30-2018, 02:13 PM
 
5,099 posts, read 2,734,547 times
Reputation: 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What does any of this stuff you post have to do with a free market? (And who said anything about any commodity being a right? Does anyone have a "right" to a Maserati? How about having a right to a refrigerator?)

Two essential components of a free market are transparent price and transparent quality. We don't have either one in health care. It's not like buying a car, where one can simply shop around to find the best price and the best quality car.
Good, then that's how you should have formed your argument. I agree with price transparency. But saying "healthcare is a right" makes zero sense.
 
Old 01-30-2018, 02:14 PM
 
5,099 posts, read 2,734,547 times
Reputation: 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

The “barriers to entry” are too high to ensure competition
Agreed. The regulatory environment surrounding healthcare is far too restrictive. See? Now you're on the free market band wagon.

ACA is the opposite of what we want as a nation for healthcare.
 
Old 01-30-2018, 02:16 PM
 
5,099 posts, read 2,734,547 times
Reputation: 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
CaliRestoration Fact #1: correct! Very good!

CaliRestoration Claim #2 (that health care is not a right): also true! ... in America ... at this time ... though it IS a right in every other developed, 1st world nation currently ... which is exactly the point of these attempts to create a system addressing America's failure to serve its citizens.
Healthcare is not a right. It isn't even a "right" in those countries you claim it is.

That's why Canadians have to wait 22 weeks in some cases to see a specialist. How can something be a right when no one is around to provide it? Yeah, because healthcare is not a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top