Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:20 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
None

I don't know what you mean by true. Certain facts may be true while other contardictory facts are omitted

No, but the more extreme of political people seem to me to distort things more than others, and I consider Libertarians extremists.
Just wondering what party isn't extremist in your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 09:50 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Tyler Cowen, a well known libertarian author and commentator. You sure this study isn't biased?
Can you please look into the political tendencies of each person remotely involved so we can see how many other ways it might be biased.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:25 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Can you please look into the political tendencies of each person remotely involved so we can see how many other ways it might be biased.
Where can I find information on each person involved with the study?

I do find it funny that the study focuses it's findings solely on the state budget and not on other factors not involving government funding or lack thereof.

No talk on the job market or real estate or the several industries in the state. Nothing on that just government.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:28 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And I am in TN right now and we are #8 on the list.
About 39.9% of Tennessee's revenue comprises of Federal money. For every dollar in Federal income tax Tennessee pays, $1.27 is sent back. Taxpayers in other states which receive less than they pay in Federal taxes are subsidizing your state. That is nothing to be proud of, or smug about.

https://taxfoundation.org/states-rely-most-federal-aid/

United States Federal Tax Dollars - The Big Picture

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

Quote:
And it is based on 2015 information and I believe the budget surplus does not exist any longer, so the situation is likely worse.
Nope, no surplus. However, the debt to GDP ratio in California is still better than 33 other states.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:48 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
About 39.9% of Tennessee's revenue comprises of Federal money. For every dollar in Federal income tax Tennessee pays, $1.27 is sent back. Taxpayers in other states which receive less than they pay in Federal taxes are subsidizing your state. That is nothing to be proud of, or smug about.

https://taxfoundation.org/states-rely-most-federal-aid/

United States Federal Tax Dollars - The Big Picture

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

Nope, no surplus. However, the debt to GDP ratio in California is still better than 33 other states.
TN is not "my" State I am just currently living here. CA is actually "my" State, born and raised there in much better times.

Now you last comment means 16 States are in a better position than CA. How can the 6th largest GDP, the largest State population and with so many things going for it, be so far down the list? Something is wrong.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Our spending problems and revenue problems are both worse.

Not that I'm justifying California's overspending, but sales taxes are a less reliable way of funding the state than property taxes, the most reliable means of funding the state. Sales taxes also dampen consumer spending and result in fewer jobs created.

Property taxes don't fund the state. In California, and most other states, property taxes stay within the county. The state doesn't receive a dime from property taxes.

Sales taxes are considered to be the most reliable sources of revenue. If a recession comes along and unemployment goes up 8%, sales tax revenue will decrease, but not nearly as much as income tax revenue. Income tax revenue is also difficult to forecast. Last year's budget assumed incomes were going to increase, and income tax revenue would increase along with it. Well, nobody got a raise and income tax revenues fell short of predictions.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:35 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,359 times
Quote:
Tyler Cowen, a well known libertarian author and commentator. You sure this study isn't biased?
Exactly. George Mason is hardcore libertarian college and heavily backed by Cato and Koch types. Yes, CA is a mess budgetwise. However, i am sure there are groups that do similar studies that aren't crippled by ideological bias

Old 08-10-2017, 07:38 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,359 times
Quote:

I do find it funny that the study focuses it's findings solely on the state budget and not on other factors not involving government funding or lack thereof.

No talk on the job market or real estate or the several industries in the state. Nothing on that just government.
Well, they do label it "fiscal" , which inherently implies that is is about govenrnment budgets. If it was about overall economic health, Wyoming, for example, would be closer to bottom 5 than top 5.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
TN is not "my" State I am just currently living here. CA is actually "my" State, born and raised there in much better times.

Now you last comment means 16 States are in a better position than CA. How can the 6th largest GDP, the largest State population and with so many things going for it, be so far down the list? Something is wrong.

I'll agree that something is wrong in that I believe no state should have a deficit. However, in the case of California, it isn't the total size of the GDP, or the population that means anything by itself. When you use data to make comparisons you have to have something in common among all the data sets so it has some useful meaning In this case, all states have a GDP, so we use the size of the economy in GDP, and the debt, then come up with a figure that is a percentage of GDP. Otherwise, you end up with the states with the largest populations having the largest debts. Failure to do this is done intentionally to persuade unwitting people towards some view. Simply stating the total dollar amount of the debt, and stating it as a percentage of GDP, or even per capita, has a very different meaning. An example is to if California has a $3 billion debt, well, that's certainly not good, but given the size of California's economy and population, it can be managed. If Wyoming had a $3 billion debt, that would be a much worse scenario with the small size of their GDP and population.

The unemployment rate works in a similar manner.

Last edited by KC6ZLV; 08-10-2017 at 08:04 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 08:30 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
Quote:

I'm not sure why I have to tell happened to find information.

They also don't talk about the pensions problem, housing issues, water issues, infrastructure, government spending on illegal activities. What's the point besides looking at the data for what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: