U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 06:23 PM

430 posts, read 181,020 times

Advertisements

I'm curious in California living but don't make San Francisco money, so what's some inexpensive (but not wear red and you die dangerous) cities?

Im getting the parenthesis info from my dad who was stationed there. He doesn't remember cheap cities but knows they weren't safe. I'm looking for a happy middle.

Just one guy with a cat, trying to stay near(ish) LGBT areas, especially now with the current climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 06:33 PM

655 posts, read 467,947 times
Generally the further inland you go the cheaper it will be. Do you need to be in a larger city to make money? Do you want to live near SF or LA? Doable but you'd probably need roommates and would have a long commute. I'm a fan of Sacramento as far as bang for the buck goes, but the buck side of the equation has been increasingly rapidly recently.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:34 PM

1,069 posts, read 731,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
I'm curious in California living but don't make San Francisco money, so what's some inexpensive (but not wear red and you die dangerous) cities?

Im getting the parenthesis info from my dad who was stationed there. He doesn't remember cheap cities but knows they weren't safe. I'm looking for a happy middle.

Just one guy with a cat, trying to stay near(ish) LGBT areas, especially now with the current climate.

I'd look into the Coachella Valley (palm Springs to Palm Desert, specifically) if you can tolerate 100+ degree summertime temperatures.

Bakersfield could be an option

Best Areas to Move to in Bakersfield? (LGBT Experiences too!)

Also, Sacramento. Any place near the coast is going to be expensive, so I'd focus on looking inland.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:11 PM

7,295 posts, read 4,401,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
I'm curious in California living but don't make San Francisco money, so what's some inexpensive
The first thing we need to do is to define is what YOU consider "inexpensive." One person's definition may be different than another's.

Let's start with rent. What's the maximum you'd pay for rent and still consider it inexpensive?

Fill us in on that, and then perhaps we can steer you to some places that might fit the bill.

To make good suggestions, it also would be helpful to know what state you'll be moving from, and why California interests you as a place to live. If you've already visited California, tell us what areas you've already spent time in, and what you liked/didn't like about them, as that will help us narrow suggestions down too.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:02 PM

78,169 posts, read 70,090,509 times
Sacramento? Or what about the North Coast--not sure if that's included in your idea of "California living". What's your profession?

Old 08-17-2017, 08:10 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,322,079 times
This is a really common theme/question on CD. Here are a few posts:

Are there any "affordable" areas of California left that are not urban wastelands?

Affordable (and safe) areas around SF

Is Sacramento more affordable than SOCAL?

If you use the search feature you'll find a lot more.

Derek

Old 08-17-2017, 09:26 PM

4,871 posts, read 6,268,935 times
Sacramento isn't cheap anymore, but it's definitely cheaper than SF/Oakland/Berkeley. Riverside isn't bad, but it doesn't have a very big LGBT community.

Next best bet would unfortunately be Bakersfield or Fresno. If considering out of state, Houston is probably the last "cheap" major US city with a decent LGBT community, so there's that.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:32 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,043,380 times
Yeah, just check out Palm Springs (the CITY, not the Valley), IF you can tolerate +110-125 degree weather on regular. Big LGBT community out that way.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:05 AM

18,765 posts, read 6,777,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Yeah, just check out Palm Springs (the CITY, not the Valley), IF you can tolerate +110-125 degree weather on regular. Big LGBT community out that way.
Good point on that, especially avoid Indio, Coachella and Thermal

Old 08-18-2017, 06:55 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Good point on that, especially avoid Indio, Coachella and Thermal
Hm... Gee, I wonder why you'd say something like that. I currently reside in Indio, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or