Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 11:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
*sigh* Yet... Another question from me...

In your opinion(s), what are your favorite/least favorite counties in California?

Allow me to start with my own (from most favorite to least favorite):

1. Riverside County
2. San Diego County
3. San Bernardino County
4. Orange County
5. Los Angeles County

Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
If you are asking based on those 5, I would say San Bernardino probably. Otherwise and i think I have been to about every county in the state, I would say Eureka. there are a few very positive things about the county but more very negative. I am not crazy over the central valley either.

Now I re-read and see you are asking us, for our favorites and least favorites and least favorites; O.C. is at the top of my favorites, followed by Sonoma, Marin, Sac and Napa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 11:40 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Favorite:
Los Angeles
San Bernardino
Siskiyou
Stanislaus
Fresno
Glenn
Tehama
Sacramento
Shasta
Merced

Least Favorite:
Orange
San Diego

I'm meh on my native Riverside.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:48 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,131,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Favorite:
Los Angeles
San Bernardino
Siskiyou
Stanislaus
Fresno
Glenn
Tehama
Sacramento
Shasta
Merced

Least Favorite:
Orange
San Diego

Why is that? It's your home (Riverside County (the desert side) is my home, as well).

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 02-24-2018 at 04:32 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 04:01 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Really, really depends upon the city when evaluating.

For example, if you were talking about Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Indian, Wells, etc., I'd say that Riverside County is great.

On the other hand, I'd say that places like Blythe or cities in the IE are pretty awful.

Given that most California counties are so large, I don't think you can make blanket statements about most counties.

A few examples:

-LA County - Awesome - Malibu, Beverly Hills, Manhattan Beach; Terrible - South Central LA
-San Diego County - Awesome - La Jolla, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe; Terrible - Lakeside, National City
-Santa Barbara County - Awesome - Santa Barbara, Montecito, Santa Ynez Valley; Terrible - Santa Maria
-Contra Costa County - Awesome - LaMorinda, Danville, Walnut Creek; Terrible - Antioch, Pittsburg

There are only a few counties that I can almost say are either awesome or terrible across the board:

-Awesome - Marin, San Francisco (city is the county), El Dorado, Napa
-Terrible - Pick any county in the San Joaquin Valley

Old 02-24-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post

For example, if you were talking about Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Indian, Wells, etc., I'd say that Riverside County is great.

On the other hand, I'd say that places like Blythe or cities in the IE are pretty awful.

Given that most California counties are so large, I don't think you can make blanket statements about most counties.
I agree with your statement.

Also, what would you say about Indio, Coachella, Cathedral City, and Desert Hot Springs?

Not all cities in the IE are awful (I'm not saying you said that), and there are some pretty great IE cities as well, such as Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee, Corona, Ontario, Upland, Chino Hills, Rancho Cucamonga, Loma Linda, Redlands, Yucaipa, Beaumont, and Riverside (IMO, mind you).

I would also like to add that just like how one cannot be able to make blanket statements (or, "paint with the same brush") about most CA counties, neither can one do that for most cities here in CA (just like the rest of the nation and world). Every city, town, settlement, or locale will have its good and safe areas and its bad and unsafe areas.

Otherwise, though, great post!

Old 02-24-2018, 04:35 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
I agree with your statement.

Also, what would you say about Indio, Coachella, Cathedral City, and Desert Hot Springs?

Not all cities in the IE are awful (I'm not saying you said that), and there are some pretty great IE cities as well, such as Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee, Corona, Ontario, Upland, Chino Hills, Rancho Cucamonga, Loma Linda, Redlands, Yucaipa, Beaumont, and Riverside (IMO, mind you).

I would also like to add that just like how one cannot be able to make blanket statements (or, "paint with the same brush") about most CA counties, neither can one do that for most cities here in CA (just like the rest of the nation and world). Every city, town, settlement, or locale will have its good and safe areas and its bad and unsafe areas.

Otherwise, though, great post!
I like the area around Temecula. The rest of the IE is far too smoggy for me, even if the individual community is nice. That in of itself would be a deal breaker for me.

You are right that a few of the desert communities aren't all that great either. Indio isn't bad, but I didn't really care for Coachella (poor agriculture community). Haven't spent any time in Desert Hot Springs, so I can't comment.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I like the area around Temecula. The rest of the IE is far too smoggy for me, even if the individual community is nice. That in of itself would be a deal breaker for me.

You are right that a few of the desert communities aren't all that great either. Indio isn't bad, but I didn't really care for Coachella (poor agriculture community). Haven't spent any time in Desert Hot Springs, so I can't comment.
Personally, I think Indio (my hometown) is pretty nice in plenty of areas, the rest of it, not so much. It's definitely not all bad.

Coachella is currently experiencing new growth (e.g., revitalization of downtown Coachella (aka, Pueblo Viejo), etc.), and is transforming into more of a suburban community than agricultural as we speak, but there is still plenty of undeveloped land (in large amounts) to be had. In fact, I think it is a bit more suburban today than it was at least a decade ago, and yes, you're correct that it is still quite poor. I personally like Coachella, and I don't think it's all bad, either.

I grew up in Desert Hot Springs for a brief period between July 2001-April 2002, before moving to nearby Cathedral City, and after living in Thousand Palms (a balanced mixture of rural areas and suburbia). Sure, it might not be as bad as it used to be, but DHS is still definitely more of a miss than hit, though it does boast some nice areas, too, such as Mission Lakes Country Club. Oh, and it's quite windy a lot of the time.

As for Cathedral City, I like it better than DHS (perhaps by a long shot). It's located right next-door to and between Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage , so a straight shot from there if you desire more extensive shopping and dining options (it's also near Palm Desert for those amenities). I grew up there from April 2002-November 2003 and, overall, I'd say that Cat City is more of a hit (fine) than miss (not-so-fine) than what DHS is.

I personally also like Thousand Palms better than DHS (and perhaps also better than or on par with Cat City), and it's literally a stone's throw away from Rancho Mirage just across from the 10. I grew up there twice in my life, first time being from October 2000-July 2001, and the second time from July-October 2010. I wouldn't mind living in Thousand Palms again for the third time.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Why is that? It's your home (Riverside County (the desert side) is my home, as well).
Quote:
For clarification, I was taking them as counties as a whole. If I had to choose an inland Southern CA county, it would be San Bernardino, for a multitude of reasons ranging from personal to qualitative.

There are several parts of Riverside County that I do like, but if I'm being honest, there aren't that many. Nothing east of the San Gorgonio Pass appeals to me at all (sorry Brandon ), Temecula/Murrieta don't do it for me, I've been conditioned to think Norco is gross (I attended school for 5 years there), and Corona is nothing like it was when I was a kid ().

There are several parts of Riverside itself I really like. I like far east Moreno Valley, Woodcrest/environs, Calimesa/Banning/Beaumont, and that's pretty much it. I've never been to Idyllwild, but imagine I would like it.

OTOH, I have a much harder time naming parts of San Bernardino County that I don't like. I've lived there too. I've seen and experienced a ton of it.

I don't love or hate Kern. Lived there too. There is actually a ton of it that I like, but not enough to include it on my favorite list.

I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever live in Orange or San Diego counties, tbh I don't even really like visiting them.

So yeah, if I'm forced to live in So Cal again, it's likely to be Los Angeles County. If it has to be inland, it will be San Bernardino.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
For clarification, I was taking them as counties as a whole. If I had to choose an inland Southern CA county, it would be San Bernardino, for a multitude of reasons ranging from personal to qualitative.

There are several parts of Riverside County that I do like, but if I'm being honest, there aren't that many. Nothing east of the San Gorgonio Pass appeals to me at all (sorry Brandon ), Temecula/Murrieta don't do it for me, I've been conditioned to think Norco is gross (I attended school for 5 years there), and Corona is nothing like it was when I was a kid ().

There are several parts of Riverside itself I really like. I like far east Moreno Valley, Woodcrest/environs, Calimesa/Banning/Beaumont, and that's pretty much it. I've never been to Idyllwild, but imagine I would like it.
That's okay.

For other parts of Riverside County, the Banning Pass area (including Cabazon and Whitewater), the San Jacinto Valley (Hemet, San Jacinto, Winchester, etc.), Perris/Menifee, and Riverside/Moreno Valley/Corona are probably my other favorites. Maybe Blythe and surrounding small towns (Mesa Verde, Ripley, East Blythe) also. I have never been to either Desert Center or Chiriaco Summit (but been through them), so I can't really comment on those towns.

I have honestly never been to Lake Elsinore, Wildomar, Canyon Lake, Lakeview, nor Nuevo, but I'd imagine that I would like those towns. I have never been to Idyllwild, or nearby Mountain Center, either.

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 02-24-2018 at 07:59 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
That's okay.

For other parts of Riverside County, the Banning Pass area (including Cabazon and Whitewater), the San Jacinto Valley (Hemet, San Jacinto, Winchester, etc.), Perris/Menifee, and Riverside/Moreno Valley/Corona are probably my other favorites. Maybe Blythe and surrounding small towns (Mesa Verde, Ripley, East Blythe) also. I have never been to either Desert Center or Chiriaco Summit (but been through them), so I can't really comment on those towns.

I have honestly never been to Lake Elsinore, Wildomar, Canyon Lake, Lakeview, nor Nuevo, but I'd imagine that I would like those towns. I have never been to Idyllwild, or nearby Mountain Center, either.
Lake Elsinore, Wildomar, and Canyon Lake would be nice if they weren't in a suburban area. The mountains along I-15 are pretty. Nuevo is just rural Perris, which isn't that nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California