Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 07:10 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Santa Maria and arcata have better weather and scenery it's not even a contest.
Weather yes. Scenery? Santa Monica has an edge but I wouldn't say no contest. Tennessee can be beautiful too. Now CA as a whole, no contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 07:15 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Jobs for one. California's chock full of cool people and great jobs, and I don't see that changing much in my lifetime.

Yeah, surprise, the liberal city in the state is probably more fun than the rural towns. I'm a white male WASP type who's not scared in the least by white conservatives (as a matter of fact I like to stay quiet and hear the deplorably racist s*** come out of their mouths as they assume I'm an ally). It's just not as nice of a social atmosphere as I would like. I've traveled extensively in the midwest and south, love coming back to Cali. It's getting better though, the young people see the light and are less prejudiced.
I am sure Memphis is democratic too. I just think that people visit or bring their ideological prism to other cities and fail to see that things are way more nuanced than what they assume. Much of the South is way more live and let live than people think, especially the liberal cities which are more libertine than any city in CA except for maybe SF. But then again I assumed that CA was a sinful lustful anything goes kinda place before I moved. It has nothing on Austin, Miami, Nashville, New Orleans as far as being rowdy and raunchy to a fault. LA with all the NIMBYism seems way less of the party town I envisioned. People are way more well balanced here. That is a reason why I love it. I felt the South was actually TOO much for me.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:25 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Weather yes. Scenery? Santa Monica has an edge but I wouldn't say no contest. Tennessee can be beautiful too. Now CA as a whole, no contest.
Not Santa Monica, Santa Maria. It's similar to Lompoc

Old 08-28-2017, 07:48 PM

661 posts, read 690,445 times
Quote:
But then again I assumed that CA was a sinful lustful anything goes kinda place before I moved. It has nothing on Austin, Miami, Nashville, New Orleans as far as being rowdy and raunchy to a fault. LA with all the NIMBYism seems way less of the party town I envisioned. People are way more well balanced here
Californians are a pretty conservative people in general honestly. Things like our tolerance for alternative lifestyles are used to assume that we're this bacchanalian type place but really it's just an extra layer of societal BS that we've decided to ignore (makes us more productive, hence the jobs). Not having an issue with your gay or transgender neighbor doesn't make you less conservative imo, just more tolerant. Same thing with the environment, we have plenty of tree hugging conservatives.

I think we're already seeing a ton of people giving the interior of the country a second look with the insane prices on the coasts; there's a lot there for folks to love and the price is right. I'm certainly hoping for a resurgent rust belt and a more dynamic south (e.g. Atlanta, Nashville, Raleigh). I'd like to see all of America prosper, no question.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:19 PM

461 posts, read 554,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
As long as you don't need toilet paper
Yea just wipe your azz on the grass LOL. and then wash yo azz like K Flex (Tariq Nasheed).

Old 08-28-2017, 08:23 PM

461 posts, read 554,198 times
Quote:
Of course. SoCal, especially LA, is experiencing a big Christian revival of sorts I've noticed. I've noticed more real deal Christians here than even in Houston which is going through a hipster phase right now LOL.

I was saying that you have to have regressive, easily triggered values that are paper thin to think developed parts of the country are Taliban-like. At least to describe it as such where women and minorities are being oppressed.
From how you're talking, it could be turning to an Arpaio style government maybe.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:07 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
I would really like to drive the Tail of the Dragon in the Smoky Mountains one day though, although I've heard it's gotten cop-y in recent years.
Oh it is fun, you just have to watch out for the guys on motorcycles who can't quite make the curves and slide in front of you.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:09 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
I am sure Memphis is democratic too. I just think that people visit or bring their ideological prism to other cities and fail to see that things are way more nuanced than what they assume. Much of the South is way more live and let live than people think, especially the liberal cities which are more libertine than any city in CA except for maybe SF. But then again I assumed that CA was a sinful lustful anything goes kinda place before I moved. It has nothing on Austin, Miami, Nashville, New Orleans as far as being rowdy and raunchy to a fault. LA with all the NIMBYism seems way less of the party town I envisioned. People are way more well balanced here. That is a reason why I love it. I felt the South was actually TOO much for me.
Memphis is over 60% black so how can it be racist?

Most people still look at the South through glasses that see it in the 50's.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:09 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Doe's she tell stories of here extremely high taxes and constantly going up taxes of every kind. Nanny government has a law about your every move. One party government they can and do anything they want.
We're still talking about Tennessee? Or California? From that description I can't tell

Old 08-29-2017, 08:16 AM

187 posts, read 206,219 times
Quote:
That's a big reason why CA will always be on top. It will never flounder no matter how many times the haters bash it, but that doesn't mean that it's CA or NY or bust. That has always been my main point, that other parts of the country have developed enough to where leaving CA wouldn't be a tumble down the stairs level of a step down. I guess I just want to be encouraging of the rest of the country not bashing out of some deep seated insecurities and hatred toward Middle America. Not saying you but others on this board.
Surprisingly reasonable response!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California