Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:24 AM

764 posts, read 2,036,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
If you choose Fresno, you should check out Kingsburg to live in- most people in Fresno Co. live outside of Fresno (Selma, Kingsburg, Fowler, Hanford, etc. etc.) and commute to work- it's 20 miles each way, and Kingsburg is a nice little town.
Hanford is in Kings County, not Fresno County.

And the commute from Kingsburg (or Selma or Fowler) to Fresno can be much longer than 20 minutes, depending on where your destination is in the city of Fresno, which is over 100 square miles in size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 07:02 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times
Let me rephrase what I meant by my post- I lived in Kingsburg all of my life, it's a quiet, decent town- I have also lived in Fresno for 10 years, until I moved to MI- there's a commute, either way- it always seemed that whenever I had a job, it was on the opposite end of town from where I lived, lol-

Crime level and gangs in Fresno are huge- Kingsburg, not so- in Fresno, you hear police sirens all of the time, not to mention the Friday and Saturday night police helicopter flying over- if you have to work in Fresno, which, if someone wants a job that's pretty much where they need to be, at least you don't have to live there- and you can go home at night and somewhat rest easy- and it's especially good if you have kids, Kingsburg schools are good-

Old 03-22-2009, 02:16 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
mostie, if you think Fresno has a crime problem, then you might be surprised to learn that per capita Fresno's crime is now lower than Sacramento, San Francisco, Portland, Denver, and many others.

Crime in Fresno hit a 50 year low last year.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/CityCrime2008_Rank.pdf

Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
mostie, if you think Fresno has a crime problem, then you might be surprised to learn that per capita Fresno's crime is now lower than Sacramento, San Francisco, Portland, Denver, and many others.

Crime in Fresno hit a 50 year low last year.

Lol, that's not a bad thing! I recall that at one point, I lived on Peach & Olive for a while- I recall sitting at a bus stop over on Dakota one time, waiting for the bus to come (my car was on the fritz), and a young man was sitting there, talking to me- a "bulldog"- he asked me where I lived, I told him, and he said, "whoa...that's a bad area!"- I thought that was pretty funny, considering he was in a gang, and thought where I lived was bad, hahaha- every Friday and Saturday night, the police helicopter used to fly over the neighborhood across the street from where I lived (it was a bunch of new houses, headed down Olive towards Clovis Ave.)- without fail, they would circle and circle this area- I ran into a police officer in my complex one day, and commented on it, wondering why they were over there every single weekend- the officer looked at me and said, "how long have you lived here?" I told him 2 years- he said, "and you don't know what's over there?"- I looked blonde, and said "huh uh"- he told me that the whole area was full of Asian gangs- talk about head in the sand! The area really was rough, but I used to go to work, come home, and kept to myself, so I didn't have too many problems- I guess it could be that way just about anywhere- and after seeing just the outskirts of Detroit one day as we were driving home, and people walking up to the car and talking at the street lights (scared the life outta me), I would take Fresno ANY day!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:55 PM

I know Peach/Olive real well, I used to live in Sunnyside. Drove past there a lot to go to the airport.

While travelling on business I've seen some really dangerous areas elsewhere. I've dealt with businesses located in midwestern cities in such bad areas that employees walked through metal detectors and pat downs going INTO work to keep out weapons.

Fresno is nothing like that.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:59 AM

198 posts, read 653,720 times
Modesto!.. fresno sucks, as does Modesto but its close to Sac and the Bay, Fresno is.. just there. Between Bakersfield (yuck) and Merced (Speed trap city)

Old 03-24-2009, 02:55 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,631 times
I'm not familiar with these cities, but I guess Fresno is better since it's a bigger city. Modesto doesn't offer anything other than its proximity to SF and Sac.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:41 AM

3 posts, read 14,362 times
Modesto is better... They say that fresno is the "armpit of California" it's about half the size of Fresno but it has all it's attractions and were closer to the bay, sac, tahoe, yosemite, and napa... It almost seems like modesto is part of the bay area cause half the people here go to the bay and of has stores that are not found in fresno. Crime is also worse in fresno. Just stay out of the west/airport/empire neighborhood they are the "butthole" of Motown. Move to Lakewood area- it's the best neighborhood and about 10 min from kaiser

Old 03-29-2009, 02:35 PM

Sorry Motown, Fresno has lower crime than Modesto.

City-data has Fresno with a 2007 crime score of 421.2 while Modesto has higher crime with a score of 494.2.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Fresno-California.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Modesto-California.html

This different crime ranking has Fresno as #242 safest city in the US, Modesto is slightly lower at #246 safest.

And of course auto theft is higher in Modesto.
https://www.nicb.org//HotSpots/index1.html

What chain stores does Modesto have that Fresno doesn't? There might be a couple.

But chain stores in Fresno but NOT in Modesto include Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, JoS A Bank, J Crew, Eddie Bauer, Banana Republic, and others.

And don't forget in the new movie "Monsters vs. Aliens" a character wants to leave Modesto and move to Fresno.

Last edited by FresnoFacts; 03-29-2009 at 02:51 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 04:32 AM

10 posts, read 18,850 times
I currently live in modesto. Moved from san jose.

I hated it then, being a city girl but i love it now. We have great schools, shopping, restaurants, good amount of diversity. WONDERFUL hospitals.

People here are much more genuine than the bay area. I was accustomed to "heyy we love to have you for dinner on saturday night" except they would invite you to dinner to see the $3.5+ million house they bought..and having dinner is an excuse to show off.
PM me if you need more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California