U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 10:48 PM

11,083 posts, read 10,109,973 times

Advertisements

For the work they do - under the sun all day long, bending over to pick crops, $18/hr seems fair to me. Especially with the California COL so high.

I remember back in the late 60's a few of my friends and I signed up to pick tomatoes one summer. We were paid $1.25/hr. Not one of us made it to the end. Within weeks, we all quit. Told myself I better make sure I got an education so I wouldn't have to do that for the rest of my life. It was then that I gained a lot of respect for the hard work those farm workers do. If I hadn't done that brief stint in the fields, I'd probably be like a number of people here, thinking that wage is too high. Dad told me once to never judge someone else until I walk in their shoes.

If I have to pay a little more for my fruits and veggies because the worker who pick them is paid more, I'll do it. I'd rather spend my money for that rather than some stupid water tunnel or high speed rail in this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 10:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 69,650,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Then the news will once again be all about inflation - where costs keep going up to compensate for the higher wages and costs of creating products in the U.S., which causes higher prices on consumer goods...and then the wages can't keep up with the cost of goods because of inflation....and the wheels go round and round...and the painted ponies go up and down...

It won't be better. It will be more expensive. Wages won't keep up with the costs.

And there will be no such thing as dollar stores anymore.

History will simply repeat itself. I'm old enough to have seen it. Those who aren't as old as me will soon see. You never get cheap prices if labor isn't also cheap.
Inflation has been with us all along; have YOUR grocery prices stayed the same the last 5 or 6 years? The last 10 years? My grocery prices have been going up by leaps and bounds. And the silence from the media on the topic has been deafening. No reports or analysis of why there's this price inflation. Back when fuel was over $4/gallon, the grocers used the excuse that it was due to fuel costs. But that's history now, and guess what? Prices didn't come down; instead, they kept going up and up.

IDK about you or anyone else, but I sure would like to know what's been causing that. I wouldn't mind if it were going to better wages for farm workers, but it hasn't been, with rare exception. Let's figure out who's been making all the money from grocery items going up 50-80% in the last decade or so, and give that to the farm workers. Or has our money been losing value that fast? If so, why? Where are the news articles, the economic analysis?

Old 09-03-2017, 10:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 69,650,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
For the work they do - under the sun all day long, bending over to pick crops, $18/hr seems fair to me. Especially with the California COL so high.

I remember back in the late 60's a few of my friends and I signed up to pick tomatoes one summer. We were paid $1.25/hr. Not one of us made it to the end. Within weeks, we all quit. Told myself I better make sure I got an education so I wouldn't have to do that for the rest of my life. It was then that I gained a lot of respect for the hard work those farm workers do. If I hadn't done that brief stint in the fields, I'd probably be like a number of people here, thinking that wage is too high. Dad told me once to never judge someone else until I walk in their shoes.

If I have to pay a little more for my fruits and veggies because the worker who pick them is paid more, I'll do it. I'd rather spend my money for that rather than some stupid water tunnel or high speed rail in this state.
This is really interesting. European students and other young people travel to New Zealand to pick fruit there, and make enough to at least play for food and basic dorm-style lodging. I wonder how much NZ farmers pay their laborers. Apparently a lot more than the US. Nobody from any developed countries is rushing here to do field work.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:00 PM

17,948 posts, read 22,628,221 times
Quote:

Or a wall at the border.

If the workers are going to be legal, then employers will be dealing with workers with rights, who aren't afraid of demanding them.

You want legal workers to break their backs picking fruit? You're going to have to pay higher wages, and the cost of the fruit will reflect that.

But, I agree as far as being fine with paying workers what they're worth. Things will change, though, if it actually happens. People will be doing some major budget readjusting as far as what or how much they will be buying.

And it may actually end up cheaper to make your own clothes again, rather then buy them ready-made from China.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:05 PM

11,083 posts, read 10,109,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Or a wall at the border.

If the workers are going to be legal, then employers will be dealing with workers with rights, who aren't afraid of demanding them.

You want legal workers to break their backs picking fruit? You're going to have to pay higher wages, and the cost of the fruit will reflect that.

But, I agree as far as being fine with paying workers what they're worth. Things will change, though, if it actually happens. People will be doing some major budget readjusting as far as what or how much they will be buying.

And it may actually end up cheaper to make your own clothes again, rather then buy them ready-made from China.
Actually, farm workers that are hired by legitimate growers have a work visa. They usually return to their home country when the season is over. Not everyone here is here illegally.

Making one's own clothing again? Yeah, that's going to happen. Half the people in this country don't know how to operate a sewing machine. Ask them what a pattern is and they'll tell you it has to do with some graphic design on their smart phone.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:21 PM

17,948 posts, read 22,628,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Inflation has been with us all along; have YOUR grocery prices stayed the same the last 5 or 6 years? The last 10 years? My grocery prices have been going up by leaps and bounds. And the silence from the media on the topic has been deafening. No reports or analysis of why there's this price inflation. Back when fuel was over $4/gallon, the grocers used the excuse that it was due to fuel costs. But that's history now, and guess what? Prices didn't come down; instead, they kept going up and up.

IDK about you or anyone else, but I sure would like to know what's been causing that. I wouldn't mind if it were going to better wages for farm workers, but it hasn't been, with rare exception. Let's figure out who's been making all the money from grocery items going up 50-80% in the last decade or so, and give that to the farm workers. Or has our money been losing value that fast? If so, why? Where are the news articles, the economic analysis?
Maybe I'm older than you, or memory fades. But, here is a chart of US inflation annually, going back to 1929.

https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-infla...recast-3306093

In the 1970's, inflation was as high as 13.3%. And that was after the government temporarily got things under control by wage-price controls, which obviously didn't work.

Since NAFTA, the highest inflation year was during the bank crisis, and it got up to 4.1%.

So, no, things aren't as bad as they used to be.

Prices may be going up, which is normal, but not by leaps and bounds. On average, over the last ten years, probably closer to 2%.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:04 AM

71,563 posts, read 83,080,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
In what city/county? Around here, I think $15/hr for minimum wage is just that - the MINIMUM on which one can live, and that's still no gonna get you your own place (roommates only). Sad but true!
so what are you saying, the min wage should be $40 an hour? come on, min wage jobs are not designed to support a family. They are for totally unskilled workers or people working part time to sub their income. Do you realize, when wages go up so does the cost of products, thus we all get screwed. Of course you live in a very expensive part of the country. People making lower incomes could not expect to live in the bay area, nYC, L.A or even Dallas or Chicago.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Which is on the whole a good thing, since it is a result of higher-paying jobs going to American citizens rather than underpaid illegals.

We're going to see higher prices on most consumer goods once the Trade War with China swings into full effect. . And longer-lasting consumer goods too
When prices go up to high, it is not a good thing. It puts those on fixed income out of the market place and more will depend on government subsidies. There needs to be a balance. I do think, migrant workers should have a program that allows them to work here and return to their home country, but I don't like the idea of illegals being here and the fact fewer of them are crossing the border is a good thing.

It is a hard thing to find a perfect solution. There doesn't seem to be a right or wrong answer.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:

regardless or what you were paid in the 60s. $18 an hour is a heck of a lot. Of course they work hard, who would want to earn a living that way, but if they are illegal what do they expect and if totally uneducated and untrained, that is their choice. I am glad you would rather spend your money on high priced produce but what about those who can not afford the higher prices? I guess they do not deserve to eat a healthy diet.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:22 AM

15,511 posts, read 14,819,279 times
Quote:
For the work they do - under the sun all day long, bending over to pick crops, $18/hr seems fair to me. I remember back in the late 60's a few of my friends and I signed up to pick tomatoes one summer. We were paid $1.25/hr. Not one of us made it to the end.
So it appears that you were paid at or around minimum wage (in 1968 it went from $1.30 to $1.60 per hour). It looks as if they're paid more now, but I agree that seasonal farm work must be horribly grueling work. The bending over part would kill your back, no matter what age one is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or