Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2017, 01:48 PM
ehq ehq started this thread

1 posts, read 481 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm hoping someone has gone through this situation before and give me some forewarning.

I came to CA in 2015 and have been using my parent's car. It was registered in their name in a different state. I was just on the insurance - they owned the car.

I obtained CA residency in 2015.

I have not owned the car in question until this month. My father signed the title over as a gift at the beginning of September. I have an appointment to do a title transfer in at the end of the month. I have the forms for registration and statement of facts.

What I don't know is if I'll be fined for the car's operation in California before I owned it. There's a section on the title/registration application that asks about dates, including the date the vehicle was first operated in the state.

Has anyone dealt with this before? How were your fines structured? Did it matter that the car was used in CA even though it wasn't owned by a CA resident?

ANY insight is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 02:02 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
You could fudge the dates. You could have driven it back to your parents during that time. But in reality I have no idea, check the dmv website.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:12 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Just be honest and let the chips fall as they may. The car was free? Right? It's not like a jailing offense to have driven the car in CA before it was given to you.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:51 PM

8,326 posts, read 6,419,063 times
If you never got any parking or traffic tickets they don't know anything about when the car was in CA.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Interfamily transfers have no tax charges. It's a title name change and registration fees. You'll have to smog the car to register it,
I wouldn't worry too much as to the date.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:08 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
"My parents just gave me the car as a gift" - use the date on the title transaction. BUT you only have 10 days to register it in CA, theoretically. Of course, that is if (as already stated) "If you never got any parking or traffic tickets they don't know anything about when the car was in CA." If you got ONE such ticket, why that must have been the week your parents visited you in CA!!

Old 09-17-2017, 12:54 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,452,603 times
If the car was legally registered in another state under your parents name, then the date it must be registered in California would be based on the date they transferred ownership to you.

You cannot be expected or required to register a car in California that doesn't belong to you.

Is the out of state registration current? If so, then you'll be paying a transfer fee ($19?) and the next year's registration, plus the SMOG certificate if it applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California