U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 01:30 PM

77,972 posts, read 69,907,126 times

Advertisements

I don't recall seeing litter by CA highways. Is this mainly in certain areas? There used to be a stiff fine for littering.

"Too cheap to buy garbage bags"?? Paper grocery bags are free. Plastic produce bags in the grocery stores are free. It doesn't cost anything to have a receptacle in your car. You can use an old cardboard box. Strange reasoning, OP. Your earlier theory may play a role though; maybe there aren't many volunteer groups doing highway "beautification"/cleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 01:46 PM

15,691 posts, read 26,668,043 times
I thought that the entire state went to bags that you had to buy at the supermarket. In our area if we want bags they charge us.

I am not using that as a reason to litter. I don't see any reasons to litter. In our area I used to see these signs on the freeway posting who cleans that section of the freeway. For example I could choose a mile of the freeway and I would get my name on the road saying that I cleaned the road up. Mostly you would see the names of a businessman or some organization. They either paid to have their name up and the state uses the money to clean that section of the road, or they get out and clean it up on their own.

My thought and since DACA is in the news, along with those on assistance. For the Dream Act kids we give them citizenship after a two year period of service and if they can pass the same test that any legal immigrant has to pass in order for citizenship. Many of these kids can clean the road, when they turn at least 18 years old. With those on assistance we offer the same thing, free food and assistance or rent for service hours. It seems that many talk about all those in California that are on assistance, we take those and give them the chance to work for what they get. I would offer this as a nation wide plan.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:52 PM

3,907 posts, read 1,189,444 times
You either have to pay to clean and maintain roads or pay .gov employees pensions. Can't have both, money doesn't grow on trees.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:18 PM

1,334 posts, read 619,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwman2830 View Post
So I come to conclusion, many people are just too cheap to buy garbage bags. I have seen in walmart decent garbage bqcks for only a few bucks that last weeks.
Actually garbage bags, produce bags, as well as other large plastic film wraps are much much more likely to both spill its contents as well as itself out the back or top of the garbage trucks. I happened to be behind garbage trucks a few times and noticed them blowing out nearly hitting my windshield and see much more stuck on vegetation on the side of streets and freeways or even blowing across the street or freeway.

Leftist policies that lure an increasing population from poor countries also increase litter around the state.

We should try to recind such policies. Also require real compostible bags to be complementary with purchase with strong education for people to bag all trash before dumping it into trash receptacles. In fact Caltrans keep California beautiful campaign already encourages the use or reuse of bags to contain garbage.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:47 PM

1,159 posts, read 716,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't recall seeing litter by CA highways. Is this mainly in certain areas? There used to be a stiff fine for littering.

"Too cheap to buy garbage bags"?? Paper grocery bags are free. Plastic produce bags in the grocery stores are free. It doesn't cost anything to have a receptacle in your car. You can use an old cardboard box. Strange reasoning, OP. Your earlier theory may play a role though; maybe there aren't many volunteer groups doing highway "beautification"/cleaning.
This made me giggle because it reminded me of an old joke my husband and I had. It was when they changed the littering fine/sign from $500 fine for littering to $1,000. We laughed and said they could change it to a million and it wouldn't matter as we'd never seen or heard of anyone getting a citation for littering. I guess if you threw your left over coke out the window and it flew back and hit a cop car, you might get pulled over and cited. Other than that, who gets littering citations?

I guess these people didn't get the memo:

Better get some better glasses if you're not noticing trash on the highways Ruth. I believe this is Altamont Pass.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:06 PM

1,334 posts, read 619,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
This made me giggle because it reminded me of an old joke my husband and I had. It was when they changed the littering fine/sign from $500 fine for littering to $1,000. We laughed and said they could change it to a million and it wouldn't matter as we'd never seen or heard of anyone getting a citation for littering. I guess if you threw your left over coke out the window and it flew back and hit a cop car, you might get pulled over and cited. Other than that, who gets littering citations?

Better get some better glasses if you're not noticing trash on the highways Ruth. I believe this is Altamont Pass.
Glad some one is brave and willing to reveal the truth. I been trying to do so but there are those who still deny it furiously.

Back in San Jose I see these signs often where it almost appears like a landfill with both large i.e sofas, tvs, water heaters, and small waste.

Google Street View would show this is much worse than back in 2011 before local government accepted special interest green washing that made things much worse and not better. The images taken before it would show very little trash in the that very same spot.

Only if we can get the scientific message to those in power or going into power who are willing and able to retake our state and local government from those who run it now.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:38 PM

Funny you should mention San Jose:

Highway 87 in San Jose

Highway 101 in San Jose

Old 09-05-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I thought that the entire state went to bags that you had to buy at the supermarket. In our area if we want bags they charge us.

What 10 cents for a paper bag? That's a hardship?

Old 09-05-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post

I don't recall seeing anything like that along 5 or 101. Or 1 down to Halfmoon Bay, etc. I'll pay attention next time I'm out there.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:37 PM

Meh, don't feel bad. We have that much and more down my way. Take a trek down highway 99 from Fresno to Bakersfield if you want to see some real litter. You can't even go into the back country in the Sierras without finding something left behind. We is slobs, we is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or