Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:38 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
This made me giggle because it reminded me of an old joke my husband and I had. It was when they changed the littering fine/sign from $500 fine for littering to $1,000. We laughed and said they could change it to a million and it wouldn't matter as we'd never seen or heard of anyone getting a citation for littering. I guess if you threw your left over coke out the window and it flew back and hit a cop car, you might get pulled over and cited. Other than that, who gets littering citations?

I guess these people didn't get the memo:

Better get some better glasses if you're not noticing trash on the highways Ruth. I believe this is Altamont Pass.
See that sign said it was "Fine" for littering, so people do it.

Seems it is OK/Fine to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 04:43 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
See that sign said it was "Fine" for littering, so people do it.

Seems it is OK/Fine to them.
By golly, you're right. What was I thinking?

Too funny expat!!!!

Old 09-06-2017, 12:48 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,333 times
It all depends on location....Some parts of California's Highways have tons of litter,while other parts have some or none,but it truly is sad since we live in such a Beautiful State,but unfortunately some people just don't care about taking care of the land or cleanliness,but I also wonder where are all our tax paying $$$$ going? Because all that litter on our highways is such an embarrassment and an eyesore for this State.

I suggest contacting Governor Brown and expressing your concern about the litter on our highways.
https://govapps.gov.ca.gov/gov39mail/

And you can also contact Caltrans and Submit a Customer Service Request to help keep our Highways clean.
https://govapps.gov.ca.gov/gov39mail/

Let's all help keep California Clean and Beautiful

Old 09-06-2017, 05:15 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
why not require those receiving financial assistance to pick trash? instead of just giving free rents or whatever? no need for skill or age discrimination.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:26 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
why not require those receiving financial assistance to pick trash? instead of just giving free rents or whatever? no need for skill or age discrimination.
They would stop voting for those politicians.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:38 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
I noticed it too. It does look like the highways around Cabo so its easy to blame the Mexicans, some of whom no doubt litter like they are used to back home. But the difference between Oregon and California is not the demographics so much as the climate. In Oregon it rains (this washes some garbage away), and tractors come and mow the sides of the roads a couple times a year which scoops up garbage with it. They also use inmates in Oregon and a common community service is road cleanup. No idea what they do here, but I have yet to see inmates cleaning the roads. The freeways tend to be cleaned, but the sides and offramps not so much.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:35 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
This made me giggle because it reminded me of an old joke my husband and I had. It was when they changed the littering fine/sign from $500 fine for littering to $1,000. We laughed and said they could change it to a million and it wouldn't matter as we'd never seen or heard of anyone getting a citation for littering. I guess if you threw your left over coke out the window and it flew back and hit a cop car, you might get pulled over and cited. Other than that, who gets littering citations?

I guess these people didn't get the memo:

Better get some better glasses if you're not noticing trash on the highways Ruth. I believe this is Altamont Pass.
If I were a CHP officer It would be my supreme pleasure to hand out $1000 littering tickets all day long and delight in the both astounded and dumbfounded faces of the slobs complaining to me "Really!? -You've got to be kidding- for littering?!!! Oh yeah you miserable excuse for a human!

People who litter should have their private property: cars; yards; houses etc... designated as a dump and sewer for an extended period of time for the rest of us- in addition to being fined the full $1000 for each and every offense. They are the lowest of the low in my book and really don't deserve to join the rest of us in a civilized society.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:09 PM

939 posts, read 787,490 times
Up until the last time I was there, people were carrying or hauling improperly secured loads.

Lumber that not only was missing a red flag at it's end, but improperly secured, if at all.

Pickups and trailers with all kinds of personal belongings, and/or papers and empty coffee or soda containers not secured in trash bags...pretty much all of what you see in post #17 , either by ignorance or selflessness.

Some just throw it out the window first chance they get so when they pull into the employee parking lot or their neighborhood, they have the cleanest vehicle around!

Independent waste management companies that don't have the tarp over the contents properly.
It's always fun driving behind them watching them depositing little mementos from dumpsters they just emptied.

Pretty much the same kind of activities one would see anywhere, except you see more of it in a sprawling metropolis such as Los Angeles.

Did California do away with litter pickup in lieu of traffic fines or any other kind of court-ordered sentencing?

Old 09-06-2017, 09:01 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
Did California do away with litter pickup in lieu of traffic fines or any other kind of court-ordered sentencing?
Maybe they're fining people, for budget revenue, instead of having them do highway clean-up? You may have something, there.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They would stop voting for those politicians.
parents of school children are encouraged to volunteer especially charter schools, they require mandatory service..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California