U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 07:55 PM

18,012 posts, read 22,791,367 times

Advertisements

If you move out of CA, to anywhere with any type of amenities, you will discover that you will be paying taxes that pay for them. They may come in a different form, but they will be there. The property taxes will be higher or there will be a higher income tax or sales tax or whatever.

But, no amenities come for free. And they are all paid for with taxes.

So, unless you move somewhere with zero amenities, you will be paying for them - with taxes. One way or another. Don't kid yourself otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 08:10 PM

8,370 posts, read 9,096,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Everyone knows this outrageous tax is going to public employees pensions.
You attend church, right? Then pay attention to Romans 13: 6-7

Well maybe all of Romans 13: 1-7

Old 09-12-2017, 08:16 PM

17,464 posts, read 10,539,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If you move out of CA, to anywhere with any type of amenities, you will discover that you will be paying taxes that pay for them. They may come in a different form, but they will be there. The property taxes will be higher or there will be a higher income tax or sales tax or whatever.

But, no amenities come for free. And they are all paid for with taxes.

So, unless you move somewhere with zero amenities, you will be paying for them - with taxes. One way or another. Don't kid yourself otherwise.
True, but many States have a lot of amenities and the total tax collected is far less than CA. They spend the money better.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:36 PM

8,370 posts, read 9,096,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
True, but many States have a lot of amenities and the total tax collected is far less than CA. They spend the money better.
While that is no doubt true what states are you talking about and more importantly would I want to live in said states. There are so many factors to what makes a place to live right for you or me. Taxes is pretty low on my requirement list. This from a Republican. Google images of where I live. Plus the people here are wonderful. Ok my county is red, and quite Christian and it's in CA!

I ignore politics and pay my fair share of taxes. Small price to pay to live in paradise.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:10 AM

34,990 posts, read 32,013,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As one public sector retiree, please tell me where I can find this El Dorado of gold plated pension and healthcare?

illegals are not eligible for welfare or housing subsidies.

Oops

As stated above, prove it. Ya know if you can't afford to pay for 20 cents extra for a gallon of gas you should not own a car. But you were ok when gas was over $4 a gallon with no tax increase. But you complain paying $2.70 a gallon with the tax increase????

What does freezing pensions mean to you? I took a lower paying job in the public sector than I would have made in corporate America to surve the greater good of all citizens. Part of the compensation was a pension

The solution is simple. Eliminate police and fireman jobs. Privatize such services and make it a fee for service prosition. Oh, sorry your house is on fire. If you agree to pay $25,000, we will put out the fire. Sign here and cut us a check. Is this the world you antitax people want?

It's 36 cents a gallon for diesel. Anyway, retirees, like some on the e coast might get a letter that states their pensions have been cut in half. Tax payers are tired of the lies, the bait and switch tactics and the saber rattling from the unions. The govt needs to get out of the pension mess altogether.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:13 AM

34,990 posts, read 32,013,802 times
Quote:
Ya, like crossing over into AZ all of a sudden their roads are smooth.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:28 AM

4 posts, read 1,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's 36 cents a gallon for diesel. Anyway, retirees, like some on the e coast might get a letter that states their pensions have been cut in half. Tax payers are tired of the lies, the bait and switch tactics and the saber rattling from the unions. The govt needs to get out of the pension mess altogether.
In the future, it will not be better!
We need to learn financial literacy)))

Old 09-13-2017, 01:10 PM

17,464 posts, read 10,539,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
While that is no doubt true what states are you talking about and more importantly would I want to live in said states. There are so many factors to what makes a place to live right for you or me. Taxes is pretty low on my requirement list. This from a Republican. Google images of where I live. Plus the people here are wonderful. Ok my county is red, and quite Christian and it's in CA!

I ignore politics and pay my fair share of taxes. Small price to pay to live in paradise.
Each person decides what is best for them. There is no one size fits all. Taxes can be a major factor, but not the only one, unless you can't afford the total package of taxes and fees.

Paradise is near the mountains in CA and is not a paradise.

Now SoCal in the 60's and 70's fit the description of paradise, but it has deteriorated a LOT since then.

The color (Red, Blue, Purple, Pink), political leaning or religious status of any area, is immaterial.

Now which States are growing from American Citizens moving into from other States faster than they are moving out? Clue, it isn't CA.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I would like proof of this, as I seriously doubt it. That has not been my experience living in WA, OR, TN and CA.

From my perspective, as a low-income senior on Medi-Cal, and with a Section 8 voucher, and SSI (which CA gives a cash benefit instead of food stamps, so I can manage my own money), I don't know of any state that uses it's resources better to take care of its citizens.

And when you think of the large amount of people in CA who depend on subsidies, it's really incredible how well this state does at taking care of everyone. I just can't imagine any other state doing a better job of taking care of its citizens than CA, based on my personal experience, and from all of the research I did on the best state to live in, as a low-income senior. CA just can't be beat.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya, like crossing over into AZ all of a sudden their roads are smooth.
But, do they have good state health care? How high are the property taxes? Are they capped, like in CA?

If I can't get decent housing or healthcare, then I don't give a hoot about smooth roads. And if your property taxes can get reassessed every year, so you have no idea if you will eventually have to sell your home because you can no longer pay your taxes - I guess those smooth roads will take you to another state in comfort, temporarily.

I don't know the specifics about AZ, but my point is that you have to look at everything. Smooth roads alone isn't the entire picture of how taxes are collected, or distributed, or capped, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or