Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 05:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkhwkdwn View Post
My household makes that. We arent living paycheck to paycheck. Both of us fully fund 401ks, we own our place, and still have disposable income left over. We live in Southern California. Most of my friends are in a similar situation and nobody earning 150k is living paycheck to paycheck.

Do you need some help with your financial planning? Sounds like you have financial issues and are trying to project it onto others.
IF you already have a home and bought it some years back you are OK.

Note do you have 2 children, as that was part of my point as well.

Personally I am doing fine and have no debt and own my home with no mortgage. I have a nice 6 figure income from salary and royalties and my net worth (Cash, Stock, other assets) puts me well in the the 7 figure area and approaching 8 figures depending on how some technology I own progresses in value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
Thank you for the rationality. 150k is a solid household income and in any case the point was to clear the state debt (0.5 tr now) and that requires cuts in spending and increases in revenue. Once the books were cleared, the iron rule would be no deficit spending UNLESS in an emergency OR on capital which will make money in the middle term (ie factories).

This is basic economic logic. Debt is expensive, debt servicing costs California BILLIONS a year, literally wasted. I just want economically literate people running things.
Fat chance now.

Who is going to vote the current people out and who will vote economically literate people in?

Old 09-22-2017, 05:52 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
California is such a pathetic hellhole. LOL. You get what you vote for!
umm yeah, says the guy from zipcode 21215 (Baltimore Maryland)

Old 09-22-2017, 06:03 PM

491 posts, read 324,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Fat chance now.

Who is going to vote the current people out and who will vote economically literate people in?
Sad reality but fast forward to 2030 and liabilities and debt servicing with drown the state ala Greece. I will be retiring about then (I hope) but it looks gloomy for my 'golden years'.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:26 PM

47 posts, read 36,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
IF you already have a home and bought it some years back you are OK.

Note do you have 2 children, as that was part of my point as well.

Personally I am doing fine and have no debt and own my home with no mortgage. I have a nice 6 figure income from salary and royalties and my net worth (Cash, Stock, other assets) puts me well in the the 7 figure area and approaching 8 figures depending on how some technology I own progresses in value.
We bought the place in 2016. We dont have 2 kids, but we also dont make 150k. We make closer to 135k, but depending on bonuses might be 150k. We plan on having kids and have no financial worries about it at all, but it is not the right time to do so career wise.

Once again, you seem to make these lofty pronouncements from afar, yet you dont even seem to live here. Seems very presumptuous. I mean, how would you like it if I told you that you were living paycheck to paycheck when its completely untrue. Seems pretty rude is it not?

Old 09-23-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkhwkdwn View Post
We bought the place in 2016. We dont have 2 kids, but we also dont make 150k. We make closer to 135k, but depending on bonuses might be 150k. We plan on having kids and have no financial worries about it at all, but it is not the right time to do so career wise.

Once again, you seem to make these lofty pronouncements from afar, yet you dont even seem to live here. Seems very presumptuous. I mean, how would you like it if I told you that you were living paycheck to paycheck when its completely untrue. Seems pretty rude is it not?
I am glad you are doing well, many are not. I post here because I was born and raised in SoCal, have lived for 55 years in SoCal, have friends in SoCal and 3 business in SoCal and obviously employees in SoCal. It is my favorite place, but no longer a place to live, though in the future when I finally retire, who knows. I am very familiar with the State, the benefits and problems.

You are also wise to hold off a bit on having children. Once you do, count on spending more than you might expect. Kids are costly, but if you are good parents they are worth the expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California