U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 01:43 PM

140 posts, read 114,729 times

Advertisements

I'm a pediatrician currently practicing in Dallas Texas.

I went on a visit to Cali (SF thru San Diego) recently and have to admit I would love to move out there and set up a practice.

I probably would not want to live directly in one of the largest cities, but probably one of the suburbs or smaller cities, especially the cities that are right on the coast. IMO the interior of California is too much like Texas in terms of temperatures.

Northern California seemed to have better weather IMO. When I was in San Diego I noticed that it got somewhat hot as soon as you moved a few miles away from the shoreline, whereas in the SF area it was always cool no matter your location within the city.

Another thing I noticed is that the Southern California beaches seemed to be in much better shape with better upkeep. A lot of the public northern cal beaches seemed to be not kept up well IMO

What are people's thoughts on smaller coastal cities like Monterey, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, La Jolla, Oceanside.

One thing that would be important for starting a new clinic is to pick an area with a high number of kids. If it's all older people with grown kids then that won't work for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 05:13 PM

7,284 posts, read 4,374,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
I'm a pediatrician currently practicing in Dallas Texas.

I went on a visit to Cali (SF thru San Diego) recently and have to admit I would love to move out there and set up a practice.

I probably would not want to live directly in one of the largest cities, but probably one of the suburbs or smaller cities, especially the cities that are right on the coast. IMO the interior of California is too much like Texas in terms of temperatures.

What are people's thoughts on smaller coastal cities like Monterey, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, La Jolla, Oceanside.

One thing that would be important for starting a new clinic is to pick an area with a high number of kids. If it's all older people with grown kids then that won't work for me.
City Data has sub-forums for different parts of the state. You might want to ask about the cities you've mentioned in the relevant sub-forum so you get more information from locals who live there. Few are likely to have in-depth knowledge of all of the areas you've mentioned throughout the state.

That said, I live in San Diego county, so I'm only going to address the two areas you mentioned here, as well as the rest of San Diego County.

A few things to keep in mind:

If you visited San Diego recently, you were likely here during our recent heat wave. Don't judge the weather here (or in San Francisco) from one visit. You need to visit all of the areas you're considering in a few different seasons (and yes, contrary to popular opinion, the weather in all of Calif. does vary somewhat throughout the year).

La Jolla is actually a neighborhood in the City of San Diego; it is not a separate city. As you probably have already realized, La Jolla is one of the more expensive neighborhoods in the city of San Diego. La Jolla is also where some of our major medical centers are located, so it is a good area to focus in on if you're in the medical field. Because it is so expensive, it's not known for being an area with lots of small children, but it is close to other areas that are more family oriented. A lot of people don't realize this, but the City of San Diego is very spread out; it encompasses over 370 miles. Within that space are a lot of smaller communities like La Jolla that are part of the city but feel like smaller, suburban towns.

Oceanside is a mixed bag. It has some nice areas, but also some more problematic areas. You'll want to do your research carefully there. South Oceanside is considered by many to be on the upswing, and is close to some other family oriented areas. Oceanside has a fairly large portion of military families, which might mean higher client turnover.

In between La Jolla and Oceanside along the coast are some really terrific areas and cities that are very family oriented. These include places like Carmel Valley (part of the city too), Encinitas, Carlsbad, and Solana Beach. You might want to come back and explore those areas a little more if you're looking for a smaller town feel; they're very nice. There are also some great family oriented areas a little inland from the coast, such as Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Scripps Ranch, Chula Vista, Tierrasanta, La Mesa, and Rancho Penasquitos, among others. Again, some of these are actually part of the city of San Diego, but feel like their own separate communities.

So, again, if San Diego County stays on your radar, come out for another visit and explore a little more deeply. Obviously, you could also live at the coast and have your practice elsewhere if you don't mind commuting a bit.

One thing to know about the medical field here in San Diego County is that it is dominated by several very large healthcare systems: Scripps Health, Sharp Health, Kaiser, and UCSD. Rady Children's Hospital is the main specialized hospital for pediatrics in San Diego County; it's located in the Kearny Mesa area (again, part of the city of San Diego). I don't know for certain, but I mention this because it might be difficult to set up an independent practice here without being affiliated with one of these systems or facing competition from them, so I'd encourage you to research that aspect more deeply if San Diego County stays on your radar.

Good luck with your research!

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-17-2017 at 06:22 PM..

Old 09-17-2017, 05:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 4,374,227 times
The sites below have information about the San Diego County healthcare industry might also be helpful to you as a beginning point for your research if areas in San Diego County like Oceanside and La Jolla are on your radar:

San Diego's Healthcare Sector

San Diego Medical Society

Old 09-17-2017, 06:12 PM

523 posts, read 585,497 times
Not to discourage you. Have 2 pediatricians for my 2 kids in the past 20+ years.
They do Family medicine now as our doctors. Nor many young families can afford to live near beach. I do have 2 neighbors with 2+ kids. My local school districts are leasing or selling schools.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:08 PM

12 posts, read 4,663 times
Learn to love where you're from. The grass isn't always greener. The last thing we need in CA is another car on the crowded roads and another doctor driving up housing prices because they're willing to pay $850k for a 1500 sq foot home.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:45 PM

21 posts, read 28,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartown View Post
Learn to love where you're from. The grass isn't always greener. The last thing we need in CA is another car on the crowded roads and another doctor driving up housing prices because they're willing to pay $850k for a 1500 sq foot home.

Oh spare me. People can move where they like. If you're not keen on the traffic and housing, YOU move.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:33 AM

957 posts, read 698,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartown View Post

[SIZE=3]
[SIZE=3]

Ignore Beartown. Welcome. The first thing we'd like is another skilled high-six-figure professional skimmed from another state. Hopefully you're at the top of your game. It is competitive out here, even for doctors. Everyone wants to live here, and we've got a critical mass of high-performing people that--with the great weather and natural resources--draw in even more like-minded highly-skilled hardworking transplants.

Grumpy "locals" who aren't willing to maintain themselves on the cutting edge are free to move to flyover country where housing prices, services, education, and employment opportunities are all low.

I'd suggest the socal coast north of Los Angeles. Santa Barbara is a world-class travel destination and just an incredible town. They just built a new children's museum right on the beach. This, plus the amazing parks, trolly service, and zoo make it a great place for families with children. I don't know what the children-to-pediatrician ratio is there, but most people who can afford SB have good insurance and/or can pay out of pocket for premium child services.

Just to the south is Ventura, which is much more affordable (still rather stratospheric in terms of housing costs). Ventura has a lot of children. Pediatricians are busy, as are preschools, so I think there's probably a good market there. Ventura has amazing natural resources for outdoor activities, in fact the city is rated #1 in the country for access to beaches, big cities, mountains, skiing, etc.

Be ready to deal with well-read, intelligent (and pseudo-intelligent), involved parents. In the gentrified coastline, you'll have people coming in with all manner of nutball ideas, and a few smart ones too. Keep up with the medical literature and be open to your patients' (and their parents') opinions. Stay sharp, and you'll love it here.

[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

Old 09-29-2017, 08:52 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,361,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
I'm thumbs-down on Monterey & Santa Cruz.

I'd add San Luis Obispo to your short list.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:04 PM

77,875 posts, read 69,839,114 times
My list: Santa Barbara, Monterey, possibly San Luis Obispo. Santa Barbara is the largest town of them all, so if you want something a little smaller, a little more intimate, you'd like Monterey (also tends toward high-end crowd). SLO also is a small town feel. All of those are college towns, fwiw. Monterey gets fog, stays cool most of the time. SB would have the largest client pool to draw from, of those three.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 905 times
SF is nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or