Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:22 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I don't know. Maybe to not p1ss people off enough to make them want to key your rig? Just a thought. Should you have to? Of course not. But you still realize folks get pissed by it. So its a decision at that point. Stand your ground, potentially get keyed, or possibly operate more discretely. 100% your choice off course. And I'm not justifying any wrong they've done to you. Its just being aware of what is setting people off around you and then making a decision.
So, the topic is intolerant to anyone "non liberal". I guess that answers that. The party of tolerance. What a joke.

Exactly why I switched parties and the tolerant libs can KMA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 08:24 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I don't know. Maybe to not p1ss people off enough to make them want to key your rig? Just a thought. Should you have to? Of course not. But you still realize folks get pissed by it. So its a decision at that point. Stand your ground, potentially get keyed, or possibly operate more discretely. 100% your choice off course. And I'm not justifying any wrong they've done to you. Its just being aware of what is setting people off around you and then making a decision.
All I just read is "I'm not blaming the rape victim but she probably shouldn't be wearing a skirt that short"

Old 09-19-2017, 08:28 PM

491 posts, read 324,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Here is my take on any give away program. There should be a opt out on any of those things. If you want to have healthcare free this or that feel free to pay higher taxes out of YOUR income. Don't force me to pay for it.
I bet lots of people would opt out. See it's onto have these programs as long as "the rich" or "someone else" is paying for it. As soon as you have to open your wallet I bet you get T-Rex arms.
I am happy to pay extra tax for universal healthcare. That said, if there was an opt-in/opt out system and the 'outers' didnt then receive free healthcare, I'd be ok with it. What I dont want to see if the free rider problem. If you dont wish to pay in - fine, but then that person would not be eligible to receive care through the system.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:31 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
I am happy to pay extra tax for universal healthcare. That said, if there was an opt-in/opt out system and the 'outers' didnt then receive free healthcare, I'd be ok with it. What I dont want to see if the free rider problem. If you dont wish to pay in - fine, but then that person would not be eligible to receive care through the system.
I'm ok with that too, but, the problem is the number of people who can't afford to pay in. They don't really have a choice. Your model gives health care to those that can afford it, but not all. So how is that "universal".

Old 09-19-2017, 08:36 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
All I just read is "I'm not blaming the rape victim but she probably shouldn't be wearing a skirt that short"
Not really, its more about being street smart. If you walk into certain neighborhoods in LA with the wrong color you could get shot, plain and simple. I've worked in some of those neighborhoods. Its not a judgement, just the reality of the hood. In other words, know your surroundings. If you decide to wear Red because its a free country, have it. That's your decision.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:01 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
The state is Democrat run and owned and that isn't changing anytime soon.
It would change soon when Trump gets rid of the illegals. That means Democrats will lose power because a majority of their votes are from illegals.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:06 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Quote:
However, on to the question, do you guys think California is outright intolerant to non-Liberal views?
Of course they are, just like with any hardcore liberal state. Go put a Trump bumper sticker on your car and drive through California. They'll be protesting and rioting. In fact, UC Berkeley is one of the most liberal colleges. Actually more like a daycare center for grown adult babies who need their safe space.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:07 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,267,952 times
I think California has become very intolerant politically.

Think of it like this: If we reversed our current situation and the legislature was overwhelmingly conservative, the left would think our state was intolerant. How often do you hear conservative religious people speak out openly by themselves about their conservative ideologues in public, or in a college class room. It doesn't happen. How about young people who stand on busy street corners asking for donations to various liberal causes. I've never seen a young person stand on a street corner and ask for money/donations for conservation causes or groups.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:41 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Himself. Thanks.

To be sure, I am not saying I find it intolerant as a centrist-Liberal. I was asking if non-liberals (or not radical liberals to be precise) find it intolerant of their beliefs.
Fair enough. I fall into that camp as both an independent and definitely not a radical liberal. To be completely honest, I do think some intolerance exist wherever one lives which also includes CA in part. It can come from both sides of the aisle however and therefore both are guilty of it to varying degrees. I personally have experienced it more from my conservative friends/family whenever I question the party line.

However, to be fair I've also heard it from the other side as well mostly in the schools. Some university professors can be extremely biases and vindictive to students who question their liberal ideologies. So instead of teaching young adults to critically think for themselves they attempt to strong arm them into their ideologies or face the consequences in the form of bad grades as a punitive result.

Still, I don't think its the norm for the majority of residents liberal or not on a day in day out basis. But there are pockets.

Derek

Old 09-20-2017, 01:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
It would change soon when Trump gets rid of the illegals. That means Democrats will lose power because a majority of their votes are from illegals.
Do you have data to back this statement up?

While I don't doubt that some non-citizens vote in elections, I find it hard to believe that illegals make up the majority of voters in California elections, democratic or otherwise.

So, if you have factual data to support your theory that illegal voters are the reason reason Democrats are being elected in California, I'd be very curious to see that data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California