Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 09:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

I think everyone needs to move away for a year or more just so they have a real point of reference. I'll never leave again, as long as there is subsidized senior housing here. If I do have to leave again due to a loss of subsidized housing, I'll just go to a cheaper place in CA. This is a huge state and only a small percentage of it has crazy housing prices.

CA is good to its citizens. I have no problem paying the taxes that give me and our other Californians the amenities we have here. I've seen how it is to live in other states and even Mexico and Canada. Mix our amenities and state laws in with our weather and geographical diversity, and it just can't be beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 10:02 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think everyone needs to move away for a year or more just so they have a real point of reference. I'll never leave again, as long as there is subsidized senior housing here. If I do have to leave again due to a loss of subsidized housing, I'll just go to a cheaper place in CA. This is a huge state and only a small percentage of it has crazy housing prices.

CA is good to its citizens. I have no problem paying the taxes that give me and our other Californians the amenities we have here. I've seen how it is to live in other states and even Mexico and Canada. Mix our amenities and state laws in with our weather and geographical diversity, and it just can't be beat.
What is senior subsidized housing?? I've never even heard of that in so cal.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:18 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
It sounds a bit like a troll post.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:11 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Senior subsidized housing is this:

Combined with prop 13 of course.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:18 PM

66 posts, read 138,662 times
On the morning of 29jul2013 (my 60th birthday) I got in a rental truck loaded with my furniture that was parked in front of the house in Temecula, CA., that I had bought new in 1994. Four days later I arrived in Southern Indiana where I was raised and had moved from in 1971. Within one year I had a 3,000 sqft custom, all brick home built on a beautiful one acre hilltop lot for $430K in a semi-rural area. This house would easily cost $1.5 to 2 million in CA depending on the area. Although in the SF area I would have no idea what it would be worth. All of the houses here are pretty much custom built though, homebuilders in this area have too much pride in their crafts to throw up the cheap flimsy shacks that are the norm in Cali. My house was framed and the interior finished by Amish woodworkers who are the finest carpenters in the world. Unlike the illegal aliens used by homebuilders in Cali.

Oh, and the cost of living? It took me a year to get used to having a cost of living that was 1/3 of what it cost in Cali.

I don't think most Californians would like here though, I am surrounded by very conservative, gun toting, Trump voting, bible thumping, pickup driving, deer hunting rednecks. And yes, every pickup has a confederate battle flag license plate on the front bumper LOL

SSSSSSSSOOOOOOOO HAPPY I GOT OUT OF CALIFORNIA!!!

Old 09-27-2017, 11:21 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKYY View Post
On the morning of 29jul2013 (my 60th birthday) I got in a rental truck loaded with my furniture that was parked in front of the house in Temecula, CA., that I had bought new in 1994. Four days later I arrived in Southern Indiana where I was raised and had moved from in 1971. Within one year I had a 3,000 sqft custom, all brick home built on a beautiful one acre hilltop lot for $430K in a semi-rural area. This house would easily cost $1.5 to 2 million in CA depending on the area. Although in the SF area I would have no idea what it would be worth. All of the houses here are pretty much custom built though, homebuilders in this area have too much pride in their crafts to throw up the cheap flimsy shacks that are the norm in Cali. My house was framed and the interior finished by Amish woodworkers who are the finest carpenters in the world. Unlike the illegal aliens used by homebuilders in Cali.

Oh, and the cost of living? It took me a year to get used to having a cost of living that was 1/3 of what it cost in Cali.

I don't think most Californians would like here though, I am surrounded by very conservative, gun toting, Trump voting, bible thumping, pickup driving, deer hunting rednecks. And yes, every pickup has a confederate battle flag license plate on the front bumper LOL

SSSSSSSSOOOOOOOO HAPPY I GOT OUT OF CALIFORNIA!!!
Enjoy your McMansions and subzero winters.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:03 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Interesting survey.

A few key points:

-- "Considering" moving and actually moving are two different things. So no one should jump to the conclusion that there is going to be a mass exodus from California based on a single survey.

-- Highest percentage leaving is in the 30-39 age group. Lowest is in the 50+ age group. Most of those considering moving are renters, not home owners. Guess the Prop 13 incentives to stay are working.

-- Look at the percentage "considering" leaving in the highest housing cost part of the state (the S.F. area) in comparison to one of the lowest cost areas (the central Valley). They're pretty much neck and neck. Which begs the question of whether people are truly considering leaving due to the high cost of housing, or for other reasons.

-- Finally, when you combine the percentage of people surveyed who said they aren't considering moving with those who said they "Don't know" it adds up to 50%. So, about even numbers between those considering it and not, really.

I guess the bottom line is you can spin this how you want, but people "consider" moving for all sorts of reasons, not just the cost of housing in a particular area. And, again, there's a difference between "Considering" and actually packing up the U-haul.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:29 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I left 12 years ago. Next year, I'm coming back. Guess I'm ahead of the curve.
Maybe a buncha people will move out so prices drop by the time I get home.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:14 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKYY View Post
I got in a rental truck loaded with my furniture.... Four days later I arrived in Southern Indiana where I was raised and had moved from in 1971. Within one year I had a 3,000 sqft custom, all brick home built on a beautiful one acre hilltop lot
But you're FROM Indiana; it makes a big difference to return to a place in which you grew up.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:55 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
My husband will be retiring in a few years and we've visited a lot of lower priced parts of the country over the last five or so years. We've seen a lot of great places.

Each time, we ask: could we see ourselves living here?

So far, the answer is always no.

We have it pretty good in California (a home on three acres of land, a quiet area, easy access to outdoor activities year round).

That said, I do understand why some people might prefer to live elsewhere. I have family members who are contemplating moving to another state as we speak. America is a big country, so luckily, we all have a lot of choices. We can all find the place that works best for us.

It's strange though how so many people who've left California feel the need to keep coming back to the California sub-forum. I keep wondering why that is -- do they secretly miss California or something?

I never feel the need to read the sub-forum of the states I lived in before California. I never have the urge to go brag on the sub-forums of the places where I used to live about how much happier I am now that I live in California (and I am much happier living here than those other places).

So, it is a bit of a head-scratcher to me why so many people who chose to move to another state continue to feel so pulled to the California sub-forums.

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-28-2017 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California