U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2017, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,446 posts, read 23,954,155 times
Reputation: 7277

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Considering oil is suffering it should rely on something less volatile and something that won't be nearly obsolete soon and this is coming from a guy who's actually invested in an oil mutual fund
Texas has already diversified. Oil is no longer the only game in town.

Texas has embraced wind energy as well as oil and gas. It has embraced "all of the above" rather than putting all of its eggs in one basket like CA.

What
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2017, 11:27 PM
 
4,314 posts, read 2,685,877 times
Reputation: 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Texas has already diversified. Oil is no longer the only game in town.

Texas has embraced wind energy as well as oil and gas. It has embraced "all of the above" rather than putting all of its eggs in the renewable basket.

What
Small auxiliary businesses does not successful diversification make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,066 posts, read 13,591,379 times
Reputation: 22129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstate0fmind View Post
Have you lived in Houston? I have lived in Sacramento. The only advantage Sacramento has is it's location. On every other metric Houston wins.

BTW, I consider foggy, damp and cold in the summer to be crappy weather.
It's certainly not foggy damp and cold in the summer in Sacramento, you must be confusing it with somewhere else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,274 posts, read 15,373,030 times
Reputation: 12120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
So does Alaska. Look, Texas isn't as great as you claim it to be otherwise you'd live here.
No doubt it makes more sense as a place to live for more people versus CA.

Owning a home or business there isn't as insane an idea as it is in CA , especially coastal CA.

Whether I live there or not has nothing to do with that though.

CA is great for those that were able to place their bets on real estate earlier or are very high income /wealthy. CA just doesn't seem to offer the opportunity that it once did.

I mean sure you could say 'look at the high paying jobs in tech' but look even the silicon valley techies are getting fed up they can't afford a home.

It still has it's problems though. The politicians have all lost their minds with the pro illegal alien worship. Homeless issue out of control. Crime is rising,etc .

I think you are pretty young , I'd recommend really looking at some of the places in this country as there are some interesting things going on and seems like there are places with more upside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 11:35 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,274 posts, read 15,373,030 times
Reputation: 12120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Small auxiliary businesses does not successful diversification make.
Small auxiliary businesses? ...

"
Texas’ Diverse Economy

Department of Commerce data divides Texas’ $1.7 trillion economy into 15 major sectors. Somewhat surprisingly, it’s manufacturing rather than oil and gas that ranks as the state’s biggest industry, at 14.6 percent of state gross domestic product in 2014. The financial sector comes in second at 13.6 percent, just nosing out the then-booming mining sector (oil and gas) at 13.5 percent (see top chart)."

https://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...verse-economy/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 11:38 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,446 posts, read 23,954,155 times
Reputation: 7277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
No doubt it makes more sense as a place to live for more people versus CA.

Owning a home or business there isn't as insane an idea as it is in CA , especially coastal CA.

Whether I live there or not has nothing to do with that though.

CA is great for those that were able to place their bets on real estate earlier or are very high income /wealthy. CA just doesn't seem to offer the opportunity that it once did.

I mean sure you could say 'look at the high paying jobs in tech' but look even the silicon valley techies are getting fed up they can't afford a home.

It still has it's problems though. The politicians have all lost their minds with the pro illegal alien worship. Homeless issue out of control. Crime is rising,etc .

I think you are pretty young , I'd recommend really looking at some of the places in this country as there are some interesting things going on and seems like there are places with more upside.
As Joel Kotkin wrote, California is no longer a place for the young (with some very surprising, albeit unglamorous, exceptions inland)

California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 11:39 PM
 
Location: 130 Miles E of Sacramento
5,464 posts, read 3,298,653 times
Reputation: 3638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
People are free to move to the swamp/desert/snowy wasteland found in the other parts of the country.
The people who leave are very happy that they left and satisfied with where they end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 11:39 PM
 
4,314 posts, read 2,685,877 times
Reputation: 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
No doubt it makes more sense as a place to live for more people versus CA.

Owning a home or business there isn't as insane an idea as it is in CA , especially coastal CA.

Whether I live there or not has nothing to do with that though.

CA is great for those that were able to place their bets on real estate earlier or are very high income /wealthy. CA just doesn't seem to offer the opportunity that it once did.

I mean sure you could say 'look at the high paying jobs in tech' but look even the silicon valley techies are getting fed up they can't afford a home.

It still has it's problems though. The politicians have all lost their minds with the pro illegal alien worship. Homeless issue out of control. Crime is rising,etc .

I think you are pretty young , I'd recommend really looking at some of the places in this country as there are some interesting things going on and seems like there are places with more upside.
I don't care about interesting I care about good weather. My job is recession proof so I'd love if everyone left California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 11:40 PM
 
4,314 posts, read 2,685,877 times
Reputation: 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
The people who leave are very happy that they left and satisfied with where they end up.
Good for them, I hope millions leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2017, 11:41 PM
 
4,314 posts, read 2,685,877 times
Reputation: 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Small auxiliary businesses? ...

"
Texas’ Diverse Economy

Department of Commerce data divides Texas’ $1.7 trillion economy into 15 major sectors. Somewhat surprisingly, it’s manufacturing rather than oil and gas that ranks as the state’s biggest industry, at 14.6 percent of state gross domestic product in 2014. The financial sector comes in second at 13.6 percent, just nosing out the then-booming mining sector (oil and gas) at 13.5 percent (see top chart)."

https://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...verse-economy/
Like I said, if it was so great you'd move there. Listen I know you like complaining about the taxes you pay but you know damn well there's no better place than coastal cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top