Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 03:45 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'm pretty sure in order to be considered charitable gifts, they'd have to be voluntary. How many people would voluntarily pay taxes, especially in the amounts the government of California (and it's localities) demand.
And S&L payroll tax deductions would also be subject to the cap.
Both of these are non-starters.
Look for a mass migration from blue states to red states.
Non starter? Designating part of your income tax as a charitable contribution already exists: "16 other states grant state tax credits for contributions to “scholarship organizations” that often fund private schools as a back-door vehicle for private school vouchers. Those have passed IRS muster."

Let the games begin: Tax plan opens new opportunities for taxpayers and state legislators to save key deductions - LA Times

Any out migration will not be to 'red states', if they occur they will be to blue or purple states with lower taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 04:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Non starter? Designating part of your income tax as a charitable contribution already exists: "16 other states grant state tax credits for contributions to “scholarship organizations” that often fund private schools as a back-door vehicle for private school vouchers. Those have passed IRS muster."

Let the games begin: Tax plan opens new opportunities for taxpayers and state legislators to save key deductions - LA Times

Any out migration will not be to 'red states', if they occur they will be to blue or purple states with lower taxes.
Actually most to to Purple or near purple states as they see the advantages of balance and no party has total control which always ends in problems either Blue or Red. Next are Red States. Some movement to Blue States but other than on the west coast not much. Now lower taxes and fees is definitely a draw. Why can't the largest State population wise, the 6th largest economy in the world, not do better with taxes? Where is the money going. Note; not to Red States as the difference between the Fed tax paid by CA residents comes back at 99% and is not a State possession in any event. Simply better management is needed.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:13 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
There are strategies that blue states might be able to use to mitigate the damage caused by the new tax law...
It looks as if you and Kevin de Leon are on the same page.

California Senate Democrats are considering some ideas to counter the GOP tax plan - LA Times

Old 12-23-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Actually most to to Purple or near purple states as they see the advantages of balance and no party has total control which always ends in problems either Blue or Red. Next are Red States. Some movement to Blue States but other than on the west coast not much. Now lower taxes and fees is definitely a draw. Why can't the largest State population wise, the 6th largest economy in the world, not do better with taxes? Where is the money going. Note; not to Red States as the difference between the Fed tax paid by CA residents comes back at 99% and is not a State possession in any event. Simply better management is needed.
Why can't they do better with taxes? Do you mean like Oklahoma and Kansas where they've cut school to 4 days a week? I'll pass on that thank you.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:28 PM

882 posts, read 688,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Laughable. I hardly think a Middle Class family has the discretionary income lying around to have any impact at all on this one. But if you have a mathematical example eveyone can see (so no, you can't just copy and paste some generic link), by all means, let's see it so we can all disect the numbers together.

In fact, here. Let's use an example of my friend's tax situation and you tell me how to massage the numbers...

Married couple (no kids)

Income - $140k

Itemized deductions: $40k

State and Local Taxes $9300
Property Tax $8000
Mortgage Interest $20,000

Personal Exemptions: $4050 x 2

Old way : 140k-$40K- $8,100= $91,900k of taxable income.

Tax calculation 0-18650k @ 10% = 18650 x 10% = 1865
$75,900k-$18,650k =57,250 x .15 = 8588
$91,900 - $75,900 = 16,000 x .25 = $4,000

Total taxes: 1,865 + 8,588 + 4,000 = 14,453

Republican Way: 140k-27,300 (no personal exemptions and SALT limited to $10k)= $112,700 of taxable income

Tax calculation: $90k x 12% =10,800
$22,700 x 25% = 5,675

Total taxes: 10,800 + 5,675 = 16,475

Additional taxes owed: $2,022

OK, your turn. How do we manipulate these numbers to make Kevin's plan work?

Last edited by Independentthinking; 12-23-2017 at 06:08 PM..

Old 12-23-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
Laughable. I hardly think a Middle Class family has the discretionary income lying around to have any impact at all on this one. But if you have a mathematical example eveyone can see (so no, you can't just copy and paste some generic link), by all means, let's see it so we can all disect the numbers together.
Why would it require discretionary income? The state would withhold the same amount of tax that they do now and you could indicate how much you want to "donate". And don't put me to task to prove it works, you are claiming it wouldn't work - so how about you go first and prove that it's not feasible.

Here's what they do in 17 states, the only difference is that they donate to private schools and I would expect that in California the donation would be to public schools, or maybe there would be other services you could designate
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/u...-a-profit.html

Old 12-23-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Why would it require discretionary income? The state would withhold the same amount of tax that they do now and you could indicate how much you want to "donate". And don't put me to task to prove it works, you are claiming it wouldn't work - so how about you go first and prove that it's not feasible.

Here's what they do in 17 states, the only difference is that they donate to private schools and I would expect that in California the donation would be to public schools, or maybe there would be other services you could designate
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/u...-a-profit.html
I don't usually waste my time responding to you mostly due to your dodging when you're clearly wrong (which you have been on a number of occasions). You've got your example. Don't forget to include how the state will handle all it's different departments and pet projects with income being redirected. And please stop wasting my time and eveyone else's with your links. It's math
Prove your point.

Last edited by Independentthinking; 12-23-2017 at 07:10 PM..

Old 12-23-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
I don't usually waste my time responding to you mostly due to your dodging when you'Re clearly wrong (which you have been on a number of occasions). You've got your example so put up or shut up. Don't forget to include how the state will handle all it's different departments and pet projects with income being redirected.
I'm surprised by that..the only times that I've noticed that you fail to respond to my posts is when you don't have a good rebuttal.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised by that..the only times that I've noticed that you fail to respond to my posts is when you don't have a good rebuttal.
Yawn. Still waiting.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:31 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
What happens when people decide not to contribute to the state as a charity?

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California