U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2017, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Orange County... Arizona bound
3,023 posts, read 1,648,381 times
Reputation: 4075

Advertisements

I'd just like for the police to work with ice not against them.

My tax money is paying their fat union salary. I think I have a say in what they do on the job but guess not. Why can't cops help round them up? In my city they sure aren't arresting many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2017, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,085 posts, read 13,607,016 times
Reputation: 22147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I'd just like for the police to work with ice not against them.

My tax money is paying their fat union salary. I think I have a say in what they do on the job but guess not. Why can't cops help round them up? In my city they sure aren't arresting many people.
Local police are not working against ICE. FYI police do more every day than arrest people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 09:31 AM
 
4,011 posts, read 1,223,567 times
Reputation: 3135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why should taxpayers pay for their local law enforcement personnel to round up illegals rather than doing work that actually makes their community safer?
Can you answer the question? Why is it ok for locals to work with every other fed agencies but not ICE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,085 posts, read 13,607,016 times
Reputation: 22147
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Can you answer the question? Why is it ok for locals to work with every other fed agencies but not ICE?
They don't work with 'every other agency' that's just silly. Any outside agency (could be a federal, or an agency from another state or county) operating within the jurisdiction of a City or County law enforcement agency notifies the agency of the nature of the action, the location, and when it will occur. If the outside agency requests assistance, it's up to the local agency to agree to stand by or assist, the local agency doesn't drop everything and rush right out to help them, at times they are too busy and in other cases the outside agency doesn't request local assistance.

And ICE is not the most popular agency with law enforcement, and that goes for states other than California, they simply aren't very professional. They make arrests based on nothing more than a photograph and have arrested citizens as a result on several occasions, and they frequently lie to local law enforcement about the nature of their operation

I'm not sure where this hero worship for ICE came from but it's misguided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 11:24 AM
 
4,011 posts, read 1,223,567 times
Reputation: 3135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They don't work with 'every other agency' that's just silly. Any outside agency (could be a federal, or an agency from another state or county) operating within the jurisdiction of a City or County law enforcement agency notifies the agency of the nature of the action, the location, and when it will occur. If the outside agency requests assistance, it's up to the local agency to agree to stand by or assist, the local agency doesn't drop everything and rush right out to help them, at times they are too busy and in other cases the outside agency doesn't request local assistance.

And ICE is not the most popular agency with law enforcement, and that goes for states other than California, they simply aren't very professional. They make arrests based on nothing more than a photograph and have arrested citizens as a result on several occasions, and they frequently lie to local law enforcement about the nature of their operation

I'm not sure where this hero worship for ICE came from but it's misguided.
There is nothing silly about my statement and no reason to be pedantic about it. My statement wasn't meant to mean local agencies are perpetually working with every fed agency in existence. What you're stating is that locals have the option to work with feds, the sanctuary laws are intentionally blocking that for ICE only. Everything else you stated about how they will assist and the quality of the work is purely subjective and has nothing to do with the topic. The sanctuary laws originated from politicians to intentionally cut off communication between local and ICE. This was not requested from local agencies having negative relationships in some cases, to even bring it up is the silly part. Nobody is glorifying ICE.

Why are you OK with a law blocking local from ICE but not other fed agencies, knowing it's a purely political move? How do citizens gain anything from this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,085 posts, read 13,607,016 times
Reputation: 22147
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
There is nothing silly about my statement and no reason to be pedantic about it. My statement wasn't meant to mean local agencies are perpetually working with every fed agency in existence. What you're stating is that locals have the option to work with feds, the sanctuary laws are intentionally blocking that for ICE only. Everything else you stated about how they will assist and the quality of the work is purely subjective and has nothing to do with the topic. The sanctuary laws originated from politicians to intentionally cut off communication between local and ICE. This was not requested from local agencies having negative relationships in some cases, to even bring it up is the silly part. Nobody is glorifying ICE. Why are you OK with a law blocking local from ICE but not other fed agencies, knowing it's a purely political move? How do citizens gain anything from this?
I worked in California law enforcement for 26 years, I retired before there was any talk of California passing a sanctuary state bill. I know how mutual aid works, I know the protocol for an outside agency requesting assistance. Large, busy agencies have never had the time to devote resources to help ICE agents on their hunting expeditions, the most they did where I worked was send out a reserve officer to help transport arrestees to jail, or provide backup if ICE thought they were dealing with armed suspects.

Large California agencies have their own gang task forces, the Sanctuary bill won't stop those task forces and much of their focus is on gangs like MS-13 and Mexican Mafia. More useful information on the location and activity of those gangs comes from California prison intelligence than from ICE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 12:41 PM
 
4,011 posts, read 1,223,567 times
Reputation: 3135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I worked in California law enforcement for 26 years, I retired before there was any talk of California passing a sanctuary state bill. I know how mutual aid works, I know the protocol for an outside agency requesting assistance. Large, busy agencies have never had the time to devote resources to help ICE agents on their hunting expeditions, the most they did where I worked was send out a reserve officer to help transport arrestees to jail, or provide backup if ICE thought they were dealing with armed suspects.

Large California agencies have their own gang task forces, the Sanctuary bill won't stop those task forces and much of their focus is on gangs like MS-13 and Mexican Mafia. More useful information on the location and activity of those gangs comes from California prison intelligence than from ICE.
Are you proposing this as a justification for sanctuary laws and intentionally blocking communication? That they may not have enough resources?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,085 posts, read 13,607,016 times
Reputation: 22147
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Are you proposing this as a reason to have sanctuary laws and intentionally blocking communication? That they may not have enough resources?
I think my post was clear, please quit trying to read other stuff into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 12:54 PM
 
4,011 posts, read 1,223,567 times
Reputation: 3135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think my post was clear, please quit trying to read other stuff into it.
I'm trying to get the question answered, what is the justification for intentionally blocking Local agencies and ICE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 01:13 PM
 
5,145 posts, read 2,769,044 times
Reputation: 4714
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I'm trying to get the question answered, what is the justification for intentionally blocking Local agencies and ICE?
You know, and she knows. Everyone reading this thread knows. There is no "justification" except a political pandering one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top