U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 03:13 PM

3,027 posts, read 4,100,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My sister lost her home. I am heart broken. They bought and spent tremendous effort renovating it over the last two years.

They are safe with their pets.

Is anyone aware of FEMA assistance?

It was really unbelievable, this went through residential neighborhoods.
FEMA doesn't do fire fighting.

That is the responsibility of local, state, and Federal agencies (Forest Service, BLM, etc). This looks like a state of California fire. California Division of Forestry is probably the lead.

Here is the official site:http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents

As others have mentioned the site is jammed, but keep at it the state of California should be able to find enough bandwidth.

If your in the fire area and facing evacuation. Take your phone or a camera and take pictures of every room and closet in the house including the garage. That will really help if you need to make a insurance claim.

Get your important papers and photos in the car.

Good luck.....FEMA will arrive after the fire, but don't hold your breath on Federal aid. It isn't that much for homeowners. The Federal government will be sending all sorts of resources to the state of California under mutual aid agreements for fighting the fires.

Hope for rain.

Last edited by 509; 10-09-2017 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 03:19 PM

7,363 posts, read 4,478,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Some great advice here. Regarding the inventory, I know it was difficult for my uncle to compile. I was fortunate to have some photos of his house and possessions so could provide those to corroborate what he thought he remembered. Maybe you or some other family members might have some?
Excellent suggestion.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:21 PM

From the Santa Rosa Press Democrat:

The firestorm that raged through Santa Rosa early Monday burned well-known businesses and local landmarks, damaging or destroying 1,500 structures and leaving behind scorched commercial blocks.

The destruction included the Fountaingrove Inn, a luxury 124-room hotel, and the nearby historic Fountaingrove Roundbarn, used for events including weddings.

The Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, a 250-room hotel, was also destroyed.

Nearby, Willi’s Wine Bar and Cricklewood restaurant on Old Redwood Highway both burned down. The Cardinal Newman High School campus, further north on Old Redwood Highway, appeared to sustain major damage from video footage shared on social media.

At the Kmart store on Cleveland Avenue, little was left of the 114,000 square foot structure except masonry walls and horizontal roof supports.

In the Kohl’s shopping center on Hopper, three eateries were reduced to burning rubble. They included the McDonald’s, the Applebee’s and the Arby’s restaurants.

Full article: Fire destroys Fountaingrove Inn, Willi

Old 10-09-2017, 03:22 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,775,390 times
Keep your gas tanks filled. Don’t let your car’s tank go lower than 3/4 of a tank.

I always read about people having to sit in long lines to buy gas when they have to evacuate. It’s not a good idea to let it go to near empty. You want to be able to get out fast without worrying you'll run out of gas.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:23 PM

31,785 posts, read 20,065,669 times
Thank you RosieSD. Amazingly she has taken care of all of this already, I should never underestimate how strong she is.

She has all the renovation receipts and grabbed them on the way out. I've asked people to collect pics they have in case they are needed, and started a gofundme to help out with any expenses in the interim. They have a place to stay for a few months. We were going to buy a 5th wheel in a few years, but I let them know we can buy it sooner if they need it.

I'll add that on my list to them is to get a PO Box for mail, and do a change of address, and to call doctors if they didn't grab any medications.

They are certainly not the only ones affected so I am hoping the "things to do" will assist others.

Luckily their insurance company has been very helpful so far, also they just changed insurance so the renovations are included (they did a LOT).

I hate that I am thousands of miles away, but there is not much I could do anyway.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-09-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
FEMA doesn't do fire fighting.

If your in the fire area and facing evacuation. Take your phone or a camera and take pictures of every room and closet in the house including the garage. That will really help if you need to make a insurance claim.

Get your important papers and photos in the car.
More excellent suggestions.

Really, everyone who lives in California should have a photo inventory of all of the rooms in their home in case of fires (or, less often, earthquakes). Ideally, do this BEFORE you get evacuated.

And, this should also be a reminder for EVERYONE who lives in California: Wild fires can spread anywhere in our great state, even into suburban and urban areas.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:36 PM

Here is another update on Santa Rosa, from the Press Democrat:

“A majority of the north, northeast, northwest portions of Santa Rosa are devastated. The volume of residential neighborhoods and commercial complexes burning and continuing to burn is incomprehensible,” Santa Rosa Assistant Fire Marshal Paul Lowenthal said.

Blocks of homes in Coffey Park subdivision in northwest Santa Rosa were gone, he said.

To the south along Cleveland Avenue, numerous businesses were gone. “Trader Joe’s, all the commercial buildings in that area are destroyed,” he said.

Fire continued burning atop Fountaingrove, including at Keysight Technologies.

Lowenthal, who lost his Larkfield home, said “there wasn’t much standing,” along Old Redwood Highway corridor from Larkfield south toward Santa Rosa. A large firefighting effort had set up at Cardinal Newman High School but he wasn’t sure about the extent of damage.

To the east, numerous homes in Sky Farm of Highway 12 were gone.

“There were multiple fingers. It wasn’t like one wall of fire. You could see fire moving around, different knobs, different hills,” he said. “It’s incredible that it got to where it did go in that short amount of time.”

Fires burn across Sonoma and Napa counties as thousands flee devastating flames | The Press Democrat -

Old 10-09-2017, 03:37 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,083,969 times
And they spread fast, faster than you'd think. Ideally everyone should have a Go-Box or Go-Bag with essentials in it. I have a box in which I keep dog food and bowls, for example. I know that for the Nevada County and Yuba County fires today, they've been requesting dog food bowls, water bowls and dog food at the animal evac center. And my fireproof box with cash and with important papers is handy. It's small enough to carry and a great place to keep photos or CD's. Try to grab a laptop if your phone isn't up to the job - and chargers for both. And obviously meds for everyone. I keep extra water bottles in the garage so I can just grab some of the half gallon jugs on the way out.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:56 PM

31,785 posts, read 20,065,669 times
My sister's house was right on Coffey Park. I was raised in Santa Rosa so I am familiar with all the areas that were destroyed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-09-2017, 07:11 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,083,969 times
Here's a link to the Business Insider website with photos showing the Coffey Park neighborhood before and after today's fire. It really brings home the magnitude of the devastation.

Santa Rosa fire: Coffey Park photos before and after wine country fire - Business Insider

They showed these photos on our local NBC news tonight. I could hardly believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California