Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 01:55 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
On another forum I'm on, one of our members had to evacuate. She has three Maine Coon cats that are the love of her life and she was able to find only two of them before she had to leave.

The winds up there are supposed to be absolutely fierce - 50 mph or more. Someone else said a wildlife refuge had to evacuate and all the employees had time to do was open the gates to let the animals out.

I was just reading yesterday about how the summer heat hit so many of the wineries and cut into production there. And now there's a fire just wiping them out.

I wonder how many people are thinking of the Oakland fire as they try to evacuate by car? That has to be the scariest thing.

I hope someone isn't setting these fires. It just makes me sick to think that might be the case though.

To everyone who lives in that area, if you read this, please heed evacuation orders and please, please be safe. Remember, you can replace buildings and property, you can't replace lives.
This is exactly what I've been wondering, since I first heard about them. No one has been able to satisfactorily answer the question, "how did they start". They say, "wind and heat", as if that's an answer--as if plant matter spontaneously combusts. And they started, according to the report I read, at 1 a.m.? Is it just me, or is that very suspicious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 02:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I am so sorry. That is just horrible. I was just watching video of the neighborhood where half of it was burned down and yet across the street the other half is fine. Incredible. The best thing is that they evacuated in time.
Something similar to this happened during the Oakland/Berkeley Hills firestorm. The dynamics of the fire were such that the fire actually leapfrogged over some houses. Homes on either side burned to the ground, while one in the middle was intact, with only a slight singe to the front fence. It was an unusual phenomenon.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:12 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
There was one house in the Oakland fire that didn't burn because it had a clay tile roof. I still remember the picture of it, standing all by itself surrounded by burned landscape.

I did read where the fires may have been started by PGE wires sparking against tree branches in the wind. I'm really hoping that's the case. The other thing that may have happened is a car driving along the freeway may have had a dragging tailpipe or something and was just starting these fires as it drove along. And of course, someone could have just thrown a match or cigarette butt out the window. I've seen that so often.

I was behind someone once who threw his cigarette butt out and it blew back onto some leaves that were caught under my windshield wipers. They started to smoke and I had to pull over and put them out. Some people are just idiots.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Unbelievable pictures from Santa Rosa.

The Hilton Sonoma Wine Country Hotel in Santa Rosa has burned to the ground. I've stayed there and we have relatives who were married there.

Sadly, they're now saying at least one person dead in Mendocino County and number of people have been injured.

The poor firefighters are just overwhelmed. They're just letting some buildings (like the Hilton) burn because they are trying to get people in other areas out OK.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:26 PM

699 posts, read 1,014,764 times
Gosh Im so sorry for all the folks who have been affected....so sad.
I was online hoping to book a flight for Santa Rosa for next week... when I suddenly saw this news on the weather channel. I am from southeast US and have no idea how long
these fires can last. Can anyone who knows the area give me a clue when it may be safe to book a trip there?

Old 10-09-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My sister lost her home. I am heart broken. They bought and spent tremendous effort renovating it over the last two years.

They are safe with their pets.

Is anyone aware of FEMA assistance?

It was really unbelievable, this went through residential neighborhoods.
Oh, Mikala, I am so sorry to hear that.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:32 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Thank you for all the kind words.

I can't believe that this happened to so many people.

It's horrendous.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Gosh Im so sorry for all the folks who have been affected....so sad.
I was online hoping to book a flight for Santa Rosa for next week... when I suddenly saw this news on the weather channel. I am from southeast US and have no idea how long
these fires can last. Can anyone who knows the area give me a clue when it may be safe to book a trip there?
Major fires like this can continue to burn for several weeks.

I wouldn't plan to visit Santa Rosa anytime soon. It sounds like major portions of the city have been destroyed; it will take months, if not years, for folks there to get back on their feet.

Plus, the surrounding area is not going to be looking too scenic for a while.

So, you may want to visit another part of California instead if you'll be traveling soon.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My sister lost her home. I am heart broken. They bought and spent tremendous effort renovating it over the last two years.

They are safe with their pets.

Is anyone aware of FEMA assistance?

It was really unbelievable, this went through residential neighborhoods.
Gov. Brown has already declared this a disaster, so I am sure that FEMA will be getting involved at some point.

We had many friends who lost their homes in the big SD wildfire 10 years ago, and here are some of the things we learned from their recovery process.

As soon as your sister adjusts to the shock, tell her to call her homeowner's insurance company to get that process started ASAP. Have her ask about coverage for a temporary place to stay while they rebuild. I know it is hard to think about at this time, but there will be a rush on things like RV rentals, apartments, and even hotel rooms so if they can put together a short term housing plan as soon as possible that may help them.

Tell her to also start writing down an inventory list of what was in the home -- that was what was really tough for a lot of people in my area to do, but it is something that the insurance company will want to know. Have them start with the major items (computers, TV, furniture) and work their way down to the dishes and silverware. Don't forget clothing too. And, if she has any pictures of the renovations -- say on her phone or facebook -- get those together as well. Even see if she can contact the contractors who did the work for them and see if they have pictures or receipts of the costs involved (i.e., receipt for new flooring).

The inventory lists were the hardest for my friends because it brought up a lot of sad memories, but the people who were diligent about it ended up having an easier time with the insurance companies.

Also, there will be a lot of con artists coming in claiming to be contractors to help people rebuild. Her insurance company will probably have certain "approved" contractors who she can work with, but if she has contractors who she liked who helped with her remodeling, she might ask the insurance company if she can work with them (assuming they're available).

Your sister will be in shock for quite a while, but getting in touch with her insurance company and getting that process started ASAP is important.

I am so sorry for her loss.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-09-2017 at 02:57 PM..

Old 10-09-2017, 03:10 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Gov. Brown has already declared this a disaster, so I am sure that FEMA will be getting involved at some point.

We had many friends who lost their homes in the big SD wildfire 10 years ago, and here are some of the things we learned from their recovery process.

As soon as your sister adjusts to the shock, tell her to call her homeowner's insurance company to get that process started ASAP. Have her ask about coverage for a temporary place to stay while they rebuild. I know it is hard to think about at this time, but there will be a rush on things like RV rentals, apartments, and even hotel rooms so if they can put together a short term housing plan as soon as possible that may help them.

Tell her to also start writing down an inventory list of what was in the home -- that was what was really tough for a lot of people in my area to do, but it is something that the insurance company will want to know. Have them start with the major items (computers, TV, furniture) and work their way down to the dishes and silverware. Don't forget clothing too. And, if she has any pictures of the renovations -- say on her phone or facebook -- get those together as well. Even see if she can contact the contractors who did the work for them and see if they have pictures or receipts of the costs involved (i.e., receipt for new flooring).

The inventory lists were the hardest for my friends because it brought up a lot of sad memories, but the people who were diligent about it ended up having an easier time with the insurance companies.

Also, there will be a lot of con artists coming in claiming to be contractors to help people rebuild. Her insurance company will probably have certain "approved" contractors who she can work with, but if she has contractors who she liked who helped with her remodeling, she might ask the insurance company if she can work with them (assuming they're available).

Your sister will be in shock for quite a while, but getting in touch with her insurance company and getting that process started ASAP is important.

I am so sorry for her loss.
Some great advice here. Regarding the inventory, I know it was difficult for my uncle to compile. I was fortunate to have some photos of his house and possessions so could provide those to corroborate what he thought he remembered. Maybe you or some other family members might have some?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California