Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 518 times

Advertisements

I seem to not be able to find a concrete or definitive answer in regards to this as most of the questions are not touching my circumstance.

I just recently switched my residence to California, however I will also live in GA but will be more in Cali. I still have my car in GA where it is now registered.

In California I have family where I can use their cars to drive, so I am debating to leave my car in GA so I don't have to rent cars when I go there.

So the question is, is it legal to do so, every time I look up the question the only thing it points to is where the car is "garaged" which is in GA so I have GA insurance, registration, etc. which seems that it is the legal way.

Or am I forced to have my car moved across the country? Or can I leave my car in GA keep GA registration and insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 02:45 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,455,557 times
California laws are bad, but haven't gotten that bad yet.

If your other car "lives" in Georgia, there's no legal requirement that you register/title it in California just because you are now a California resident.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:55 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
The problem comes about when you are a California resident and using a car titled to you in another state in California... as California views this as Tax Evasion.

I have a retired friend that spits time between Washington and California... he got turned in for having his Washington Truck with Washington Plates in his driveway because he was still a California resident... his truck spends years at a time at his Washington place but he drove it home for a few weeks last year and this is where the problem started.

There is a Hot Line to report this to the State...

Thing is Washington is also aggressive especially with those having Oregon Plates as Oregon also has NO state Sales Tax... so the potential Tax Evasion could be many thousands of dollars.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:13 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Why are you moving to California? Is it to attend school or because you're in the military?

If so, the California DMV considers that a "temporary" residence and you won't have to worry about registering your car here, even if you bring it here.

However, if you're moving here to take a job, then you've become a permanent resident, and you'll need to register your car here if you bring it here.

That also likely will be how the state of Georgia will see it -- you've moved permanently to another state so when it comes time to renew your registration in Georgia, if you can't provide a permanent address there then it may be tricky to renew.

Just to avoid problems down the road, it wouldn't hurt to carefully read the Georgia DMV website, and perhaps give them a call if you have questions.

https://dor.georgia.gov/motor-vehicl...d-registration

I would also strongly encourage you to call your insurance company and ask this question. You want to make sure that your auto insurance policy will cover a car stored and used in a state other than where your permanent residence is located. If you're only going to use it occasionally, your insurance company might even give you a break on your insurance cost.

There may also be title issues if you're paying off a car loan on the car in Georgia. If you are, you better double check with your lender just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-15-2017 at 04:25 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 04:19 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
By the way, under California law, you're required to apply for a California Driver's License within 20 days of establishing permanent residence here, regardless of whether or not you'll be registering a car here.

See: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...ewtoca/newtoca

If you're only here on a temporary basis as a student or in the military, this won't apply to you.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:18 PM

626 posts, read 626,099 times
I had a car here in Pasadena for almost 4 years still registered in NC until it totaled by Chinese guy that didn't speak English. NC didn't care that I wasn't in NC they just wanted the money that's all.
I did get get a warning about it once in 4 years by Glendale PD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California