Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 06:30 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,390 times

Advertisements

Thinking on the issue some more, it appears that is definitely some verbal obfuscation at play here.

Let's look at the obvious logical conflict - how can you have a category called "whites alone" and subcategorize that to include people of mixed race (hispanics are overwhelmingly of mixed native american and spanish blood). If you're going to be somewhat honest about it, then have the category called "total whites", and not "whites alone".

Any casual observer would infer that the percentage of European Americans in California is much higher than it is, without realizing that 90% of hispanics are calling themselves white as opposed to "mixed race" or "some other race". Ideally, there should be a separate option for "hispanic" are they form a distinct culture and largely have similar racial characteristics despite being mixed. In reality, people who are hispanic on dating sites and posting on internet comment boards always identify as hispanic and not white.

Seems like the folks at the Census Bureau may not be that intelligent after all - they're even including North Africans as "white". The remaining options are stupid or subversive, and I'd put my money on subversive. They only "look" stupid, which is how they want you to see them.

tl;dr: Census.gov doing some fishy verbal trickery to hide diminishing European-descended demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 08:37 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Let's face it: NO place in the world is like it used to be 40, 30, 20, or even 10 years ago.

The entire world is always changing.

You can either go with the flow and decide to be happy, or you can spend your life wishing for a time machine to zip you back to what used to be.
Amen!

Old 10-15-2017, 09:28 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,672,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Amen!
I second that

And in some respects it's a good thing, too.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:44 PM

626 posts, read 625,530 times
I have seen this as well honestly. When I moved here 5 years ago from NC there traffic in Glendale, Pasadena and the 210 was less than it is now. Now it's like rush hours on the 210 24/7.

The main reason here in Pasadena is that companies are buying up all the single family older craftsman style houses, tearing them down and putting 3-4 units. Where before it was just one house on a long lot now there is at least 3 houses, it could be more if they wanted to do apartments. I have seen this happen here in Pasadena and it has happened twice on my street alone not to mention my neighbor just sold his 1920 year old house for $100k above asking cash. It sold to a development company that is going to do the same thing.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:46 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,176,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
I have seen this as well honestly. When I moved here 5 years ago from NC there traffic in Glendale, Pasadena and the 210 was less than it is now. Now it's like rush hours on the 210 24/7.

The main reason here in Pasadena is that companies are buying up all the single family older craftsman style houses, tearing them down and putting 3-4 units. Where before it was just one house on a long lot now there is at least 3 houses, it could be more if they wanted to do apartments. I have seen this happen here in Pasadena and it has happened twice on my street alone not to mention my neighbor just sold his 1920 year old house for $100k above asking cash. It sold to a development company that is going to do the same thing.
That's tragic! They don't build them like that anymore

Old 10-15-2017, 09:50 PM

626 posts, read 625,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
That's tragic! They don't build them like that anymore
I agree he had a nice house with a big backyard but they need to move to a larger house so they had to sell it for the down payment of the house their buying in Duarte.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:37 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,636,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Hi Rosie, my goof I meant they out number "whites". They are not the majority in CA.

I agree most are white, but politics shifted them into another group.

Now we are told they are a separate group from "whites".
No worries, we all goof sometime or another.

Just to clarify, for those who missed it, the U.S. Census Bureau (and most thinking folks) classify Hispanic/Latino as White.

According to the Census Bureau, 72% of the population in California is White, so Whites are still the majority.

The Census Bureau has recently started to also break the classification of "White" down into White --not Hispanic, and White--Hispanic.

But, either way, it's still incorrect to say that Hispanic/Latinos are the majority in California. White--Hispanics account for 38% of the population in California.

As I said, 38% of 100% is not a majority, unless something radical has changed since I took statistics in college.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-15-2017 at 11:08 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post

here in Pasadena...companies are buying up all the single family older craftsman style houses, tearing them down and putting 3-4 units.
I don't doubt that *some* older homes in Pasadena have been turned into multi-unit housing.

Still, according to the factual data I gave above, the population of Pasadena has only expanded by a few thousand people in the last five years.

So, companies must not be buying up "all" of the single family homes and putting in 3-4 units or Pasadena's population would have grown MUCH more than that since you moved there.

Hyperbole, folks, is a dangerous thing unless you have facts to back it up.

For those for whom vocabulary is not a strength, the definition of hyperbole: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-15-2017 at 11:04 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
tl;dr: Census.gov doing some fishy verbal trickery to hide diminishing European-descended demographics.
Last I checked, Spain was part of Europe. And, that's where Hispanic/Latinos are descended from. In fact, the word Hispanic literally means relating to Spain.

Now, before you say that their European ancestry doesn't count because their ancestors left Spain hundreds of years ago, consider that many "white" people also have European ancestors who arrived here from Britain, France, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Norway, Poland, etc. a hundred+ years ago.

Guess by your reasoning those folks must not be "white" either.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-15-2017 at 11:04 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Or find a place that is similar to what you liked 30 years ago. Won't be the same, but can be similar enough. I found such a place.
I did too. It's called San Diego.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-15-2017 at 11:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California