U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:52 AM

17,435 posts, read 10,514,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
You better have your sister have a chat with ExpatCA who is fleeing Tennessee for the greener pastures of Florida.
Now Rosie, I am "fleeing" because of the air quality, which while it isn't as bad as CA, is not good for me any more. If it weren't for that we might not move at all, but I need ocean air.

Our second choice was very near the coast in SoCal and would most likely have been in SDC as my wife loves to go to Rubys on the Oceanside pier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 10:08 AM

7,294 posts, read 4,389,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Now Rosie, I am "fleeing" because of the air quality, which while it isn't as bad as CA, is not good for me any more. If it weren't for that we might not move at all, but I need ocean air.

Our second choice was very near the coast in SoCal and would most likely have been in SDC as my wife loves to go to Rubys on the Oceanside pier.
Definitely our loss then.

In all seriousness though, is there a problem with the air quality in Tennessee? I have relatives there, and haven't heard that. Or is it just that you need a bit more humidity (thus, by the sea)?

It's interesting how different people are affected by humidity levels. I have some lung issues (asthma) and arthritis and I find that I do much better in drier, warmer places than I do closer to the ocean or in places with more humidity. That's partially why we live inland in SD and not by the coast and have ruled out places like coastal Oregon and Washington, even though we like them.

And, that's why lists like the one posted at the beginning of this thread are also useless. Because every individual and every family have their OWN individual needs and desires.

In the end the only "Best Places To Live" list that matters is the one that YOU create yourself.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:45 AM

17,435 posts, read 10,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Definitely our loss then.

In all seriousness though, is there a problem with the air quality in Tennessee? I have relatives there, and haven't heard that. Or is it just that you need a bit more humidity (thus, by the sea)?

It's interesting how different people are affected by humidity levels. I have some lung issues (asthma) and arthritis and I find that I do much better in drier, warmer places than I do closer to the ocean or in places with more humidity. That's partially why we live inland in SD and not by the coast and have ruled out places like coastal Oregon and Washington, even though we like them.

And, that's why lists like the one posted at the beginning of this thread are also useless. Because every individual and every family have their OWN individual needs and desires.

In the end the only "Best Places To Live" list that matters is the one that YOU create yourself.
Hi,

The air quality at the foot of the Smoky mountains is bad, not as bad as the LA basin but similar as everything backs up against them. I check it each day now as I can tell when it is out of the good range. The area where I will move has better air quality than just about anywhere else and the sea air is good for me.

The humidity will be about the same as where I live just for longer in FL, but it is actually good for the lungs in my case and dry air is not and cold aggravates it. It varies from person to person and some handle dry and some humid and I do better with humidity. I am glad it is working out for you where you and your hubby are.

Beware however, as we will be visiting SD in the future.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:37 PM

15,628 posts, read 14,896,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Well, shoot, you can rent an apartment or buy a house for even less than that in Barstow...but would you really want to live there???
But have you ever spent any time in Barstow?

Old 10-16-2017, 06:49 PM

6,802 posts, read 3,771,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Is that a second cousin to Daffodil Hill?
I am kinda partial to Mule Shoe.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:47 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,636,858 times
Quote:
Hi,

The air quality at the foot of the Smoky mountains is bad, not as bad as the LA basin but similar as everything backs up against them. I check it each day now as I can tell when it is out of the good range. The area where I will move has better air quality than just about anywhere else and the sea air is good for me.

The humidity will be about the same as where I live just for longer in FL, but it is actually good for the lungs in my case and dry air is not and cold aggravates it. It varies from person to person and some handle dry and some humid and I do better with humidity. I am glad it is working out for you where you and your hubby are.

Just SD and not OC?

Old 10-16-2017, 09:12 PM

2,964 posts, read 1,608,908 times
Quote:
Hi,

The air here lately has been particularly sucky. Don't know if it's the fires or what but this morning I saw a actual smog line in the distance. I'm going to Arizona this wknd and can't wait to get some fresh air and clear blue skies

Old 10-17-2017, 03:42 AM

2,622 posts, read 4,797,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Pretty much agree. I just pulled up another 2017 list of the supposed best 100 cities to live in and one CA city was listed in the top 10 (Palo Alto) and I counted 7 total in the first 50 out of
I think I am going to make a new list and Palo Alto will be my number one worst place to live in California.

Here is proof, a 1.5 million dollar Palo Alto "dream" home. (a very bad dream)

https://www.trulia.com/property/5031...-Alto-CA-94303

Old 10-17-2017, 05:40 AM

71,700 posts, read 83,289,352 times
each list is based on something different and there is no such thing as "best' place to live. Heck our little community here in NWA often is way up on those lists, whether it is for jobs, seniors, col, place to start a business, whatever. All it does is give the city or community bragging rights for a few weeks or months. The lists are fun to read but that is as far as it goes in my opinion. Any list that would have Sprindale Ar toward the top has a strange idea as to what is "BEST" NWA is a wonderful place to live. We are so happy we found it, but Springdale is probably the worth place in NWA. Fayetterville, Bentonville, BV all great; Springdale is one of the few cities that has a high crime rate and probably the only city with a high population of illegals. So, now take those lists and burn them or recycle them

Old 10-17-2017, 08:58 AM

2,964 posts, read 1,608,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I think I am going to make a new list and Palo Alto will be my number one worst place to live in California.

Here is proof, a 1.5 million dollar Palo Alto "dream" home. (a very bad dream)

https://www.trulia.com/property/5031...-Alto-CA-94303
Hahaha there's even a eletrcal tower in the backyard. Those things will F your body up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California