Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 12:49 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,811,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MovingForward View Post
So I've been really struggling with this issue. Should I move? I've inquired in other parts of this forum regarding other states. So here is my I'm situation. I'm divorced. Live in Orange County. I am in the situation where I can sell my house and buy something cash. My kids are now adults. I've considered moving out of state because I can get more for my money. I've considered Texas and Arizona where I can get a nice house cash. The idea of no mortgage is very appealing to me as I'm getting older and would like to have some financial freedom and put more away for retirement. If I stay I deal with still having that mortgage as well as high property taxes and HOA. If I sell and stay in Orange County I am looking at buying condo cash instead of a single family home like I could get in other areas. I would love to hear some advise from others. Should I move? If so where? Career wise I am an esthetician so would have to apply for a new license in another state which I'm ok with. My kids live with me and they are ok with whatever. I basically work in high end retail and spa industry so I would like to stay in areas that would have that for work and of course low crime is a priority. Thanks!
The basic question boils down to on what you value more: financial freedom or location.

Basically it's the good 'ole battle between the mind and the heart. People say, do what you really want. Except, there are limitations. That's the biggest thing I don't agree with. Do what you want within reason, is my line.

I grew up in Southern California as well but couldn't stand the cost of housing there. I made the move to Phoenix last year and enjoyed my time since then. Sure it's not the same, I'd have to navigate my way around new neighborhoods, get to know new people, find new shopping places, etc... but for my own peace of mind since I'm still young and starting out in my career. I didn't want to be that guy who was barely living paycheck to paycheck in a dump, have $0 saved up in 401(k) when I'm 35. just because of the location. So I just said, screw it and moved.

I still miss it of course, but I go every so often (major holidays mostly) to visit friends and family to catch up. But I don't miss spending an arm and a leg just to be there for sure. I saved so much money it's not even funny.

It really boils down to what you think matters to you more. No one has the correct answer because you want a bit of both (financial freedom & liking where you want to live). But that balance between SoCal and other areas is pretty big since SoCal's COL is so high, it's on the extreme side. So you'll have to pick a side and stick with it. Best of luck.

Last edited by man4857; 11-13-2017 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 06:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
The basic question boils down to on what you value more: financial freedom or location.

Basically it's the good 'ole battle between the mind and the heart. People say, do what you really want. Except, there are limitations. That's the biggest thing I don't agree with. Do what you want within reason, is my line.

I grew up in Southern California as well but couldn't stand the cost of housing there. I made the move to Phoenix last year and enjoyed my time since then. Sure it's not the same, I'd have to navigate my way around new neighborhoods, get to know new people, find new shopping places, etc... but for my own peace of mind since I'm still young and starting out in my career. I didn't want to be that guy who was barely living paycheck to paycheck in a dump, have $0 saved up in 401(k) when I'm 35. just because of the location. So I just said, screw it and moved.

I still miss it of course, but I go every so often (major holidays mostly) to visit friends and family to catch up. But I don't miss spending an arm and a leg just to be there for sure. I saved so much money it's not even funny.

It really boils down to what you think matters to you more. No one has the correct answer because you want a bit of both (financial freedom & liking where you want to live). But that balance between SoCal and other areas is pretty big since SoCal's COL is so high, it's on the extreme side. So you'll have to pick a side and stick with it. Best of luck.
Pretty much true.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:39 AM

36 posts, read 43,205 times
Each Beach Town in Florida is as distinct in population, culture, and just everything as each beach town on the coast of California. I grew up in Florida and lived in Miami, FL for most of my life and now live in Laguna Beach, CA. My inlaws live in Napoles, FL.

Comparing Miami to Naples or any other city in Florida is as insane as comparing Laguna Beach to Huntington Beach or Long Beach or Oceanside for that matter and expecting to find similarities. Population size matters. In Laguna beach or Newport Beach there is no "bad" area. The same can not be said for Miami, Naples, or any other big city with more diversity and a larger population.

West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Sanibel, Captiva, and Lighthouse Point are also "upscale" and have older populations like you find in Laguna Beach and Newport Beach. Florida gets more rural as you go inland and North. Just like in California, driving 2 hours in any direction changes everything from the demographics the average temperature.For one Naples has more bugs than Miami. Naples is newer and manicures, Miami is vibrant and fun, both are nice and DO NOT COMPARE to Laguna or NEWPORT. From the people, to the weather, to the food, to the culture, expect massive change if you make the move and very little similarities.

As far as cost, if you are moving from coastal California to Coastal Florida your house will still cost half as much or less. Property taxes can be twice as much depending on the city. AC will make your electric bill five times as much. If you have a pool and then add a couple thousand a year to your expenses. You can not compare education if you have kids. However, travel is less expensive, income taxes make a huge difference, but then all these things depend on your situation. For us it all balanced out in the end.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:51 PM

239 posts, read 660,757 times
The logical thing to do is leave.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:01 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
So 3 months ago you asked people whether you should move or not (in at least 3 different forums).

What did you decide?

Old 01-29-2018, 02:21 AM

882 posts, read 688,283 times
2MovingForward,

I honestly didn't want to read all 7 pages of replies (so if this has been suggested, my apologies). Have you considered renting out your place? My wife and I rent out our home and have relocated to Texas. The cash flow takes care of our rent here while we decide if we like it enough to buy a home. In the meantime, the mortgage continues to get paid down and we have an out should we decide to move back. Some people don't like the idea of being a landlord. We have a great property manager that takes care of everything. And the COL is so much cheaper that I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Just some food for thought. We have another rental in Salt Lake City that we got in 2006 (haven't missed a beat on that one either and have decent equity in it now).

Old 02-01-2018, 01:07 PM

32 posts, read 32,415 times
We just moved to Huntsville, AL from Long Beach, and I cannot exaggerate how much our quality of life has improved. The area is a center for high tech jobs in aerospace and computer oriented fields, so all of our neighbors are systems engineers and software developers. The economy here is booming, taxes are low, there are beautiful views and open areas, neighborhoods are beautiful and affordable, the schools are excellent (not really a problem for you), there is no traffic, very little crime, the people are so nice, and there is a lot to do, including shopping, theater, ballet, symphony, dining, hiking, fishing, etc. Also, Nashville and Atlanta are close enough to visit for the weekend. I'm not necessarily saying to move here, but just to encourage you that there is life outside of CA, and don't be scared to look at the possibilities. We only wish we had left five years sooner.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMillyDee View Post
We just moved to Huntsville, AL from Long Beach, and I cannot exaggerate how much our quality of life has improved. The area is a center for high tech jobs in aerospace and computer oriented fields, so all of our neighbors are systems engineers and software developers. The economy here is booming, taxes are low, there are beautiful views and open areas, neighborhoods are beautiful and affordable, the schools are excellent (not really a problem for you), there is no traffic, very little crime, the people are so nice, and there is a lot to do, including shopping, theater, ballet, symphony, dining, hiking, fishing, etc. Also, Nashville and Atlanta are close enough to visit for the weekend. I'm not necessarily saying to move here, but just to encourage you that there is life outside of CA, and don't be scared to look at the possibilities. We only wish we had left five years sooner.
A friend and her hubby moved there from CA a few years ago fr a lot of those reasons. They lived in SoCal a few miles from the beach. Plus you can easily drive to "lower Alabama", the FL panhandle, and wonderful beaches with warm water, not cold like CA.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:55 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,456 times
There are trade offs wherever your move. Friends moved to Huntsville and really liked it except for the fortune they spend on AC and Heat. They owned their house free and clear in CA and while they like AL they wish they could return to CA.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:50 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Do it. Fund your retirement and save on your property taxes. Also keep in mind that if you do move to texas, they have no state income tax but they have high property tax....a tax that isn't cap unlike Cali's prop 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California