Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:56 PM

782 posts, read 759,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the germans don't complain paying VAT close to 20% and top earners are taxed up to 60%
Apples to Oranges, there are lot's of things that cost less in Germany than the USA.

They also get off 34 days off/year on average and work an average 35 hours/week. They also get more benefits than Americans, stuff like "elternzeit" (parental leave) that protects their jobs for as long as they like till the child turns 3. No fear of getting fired, because you can literally take off an entire year and your job will be waiting for you.

I been to Germany and worked with Germans, I'm German descent as well. I had to plan my trips around my colleagues long vacations, talk about a major PITA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 09:28 PM

782 posts, read 759,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
UH, the streets, roads and hwys are paved in FL and in better shape than in CA. I have been to FL many, many times and all over the State. I currently live in TN and the roads, streets and hwys here are .... all paved and in far better shape than CA.
Like I stated to you prior, FL's roads are in much better shape than CA, but there is a reason, obviously CA hasn't figured that one out yet on how to distrubute tax revenue.

Florida Has the Best Kept Roads and Bridges in the Country Thanks to Tolls and Taxes | Miami New Times

I can attest as a former resident of FL that even the turnpike has some worn out spots, yet the toll road applies so it's not always perfect, there are roads around here that are equal to roads in Palm Beach County if not better in condition.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:57 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Like I stated to you prior, FL's roads are in much better shape than CA, but there is a reason, obviously CA hasn't figured that one out yet on how to distrubute tax revenue.

Florida Has the Best Kept Roads and Bridges in the Country Thanks to Tolls and Taxes | Miami New Times

I can attest as a former resident of FL that even the turnpike has some worn out spots, yet the toll road applies so it's not always perfect, there are roads around here that are equal to roads in Palm Beach County if not better in condition.
why pay tolls when its not maintained the way it should be? the toll roads in OC are in excellent condition compared to the Interstates in LA

what I was referring to when I said in some states, only the highways are paved, are the roads/streets in small towns.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:07 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post

Hi,

Yes every State has some bad roads in need of repair and that includes FL. However FL roads are much better maintained than CA roads.

From the report about FL:

According to a White House report, 65 percent of the nation's roads are considered to be in "less than good" condition, but here in Florida just 4 percent of our roads are in disrepair, amongst the lowest in the nation.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:19 AM

19,209 posts, read 16,696,914 times
I really hope the new gas tax will actually be used to fix the roads, this time. I'm a tad skeptical because that's what they said last time ... and the time before that ... and the time before that. Jeez, our roads should be paved in gold, by now.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:48 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I really hope the new gas tax will actually be used to fix the roads, this time. I'm a tad skeptical because that's what they said last time ... and the time before that ... and the time before that. Jeez, our roads should be paved in gold, by now.
Don't get your hopes up, the same people who said it would go for the roads last time are saying the same thing this time.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:28 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I really hope the new gas tax will actually be used to fix the roads

Old 10-26-2017, 10:14 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I'm not happy about it...
There are 25 other states that have raised fuel taxes to pay for road repairs in the last five years.

States are acting because the federal government has not touched the federal gas tax in nearly 25 years. The federal Highway Trust Fund is nearly insolvent…. While Washington sleeps, California has joined 25 other states to act.”

California Republicans say raising gas taxes is a bad thing. GOP politicians in some red states don't agree - LA Times

Old 10-26-2017, 05:19 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Just curious what does the federal gas tax fund? I know that roads are generally maintained by the states.
Though I am also curious why California despite not having so much bad weather compared to the east? And we have more people paying gas taxes than anywhere else. Would making more roads toll roads make things better.

It appears highway 73 is built as a strategy to milk funds from drivers. If one takes that route in addition to the toll you pay for driving on that road. It is also very hilly with long stretches of uphill compared to the 405 and i5 which means drivers on the 73 would burn much more gasoline driving there compared to the other routes when they are not congested. In addition to that they often have officers hiding at the end of the stretch particularly during the end and beginning of the month for a ticket writing spree. So its highly possible for one to be triple taxed by driving on that stretch of toll road. The only good thing about that route is that rarely congested compared the other roads nearby. This is probably the only reason attracting drivers to drive on it.

Just curious how much would gasoline prices go up on November 1st after the tax increase?
There is a saying that low gasoline prices are actually bad news in the long run as governments would take the change to increase taxes on gasoline which means when prices go back up again in the future it would be even higher than before. Taxes normally would only go up not down. Thats why you will hear people paying $8 a gallon in some countries during periods of high global oil prices as they got all that tax that adds up which may not be apparent when global oil prices are lower.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:23 PM

19,209 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Just curious what does the federal gas tax fund?
It goes into the rest of the pot of money which includes the state's gas tax. It's all used for infrastructure. Highways, bridges, water Etc.

Interestingly, Trump is now re-examining his decision on a federal gas tax. Just on the news tonight. He wants to raise it now too. Can't wait to see how much this whole thing will total once both state and federal implement it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California