U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 09:29 AM

9,301 posts, read 10,392,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Prescott, Payson, and the Verde Valley should all meet your criteria of price and greenery/mountains. Prescott has the most work opportunities in health care and while it is the most expensive of the three areas listed, you can easily live in Prescott Valley (which is close nearby) for cheaper than Prescott.

All of these places are about 7 hrs from LA. As for the people they tend to be conservative, but down to earth and friendly. Quite different from folks in Socal.

Hope this helps!
My BIL lives in the Prescott Valley. He likes it a lot. No trees tho and quite flat. The conservative politics of the AZ drives him crazy. As does the sub-par medical care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogiHarps1 View Post
Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all the replies and suggestions. Its such a good starting point. I'm seeing a common theme of Gold Country and Sierra Foothills. So I'll start investigating real estate and jobs available there. I'll check out all the other suggestions in beetween too. I'm hoping to work in schools, but I'm willing to go into hospitals or nursing facilities need be.

As for why I want to stay in CA...all my family is in CA. I'd like to still be near them (or at least FEEL like I am). But finding out that my best bets are in the tippy northern part of CA we may be open to moving to other states the same distance away. If we can get what we're looking for 14hours in a different direction, why not, right? Hmm. Something to think about. I was hoping our money went a little further outside of Los Angeles, but maybe not so much in the rest of CA?

And wow! I would've never thought we'd be in competition with pot growers. Makes sense though. Hah.

Again, thanks for the suggestions! I've got some homework to do tonight.
I think part of your homework should include looking at a map of CA. The Gold Country is mostly in Central eastern CA. I live due east of San Francisco and LA is a 6-7 hour drive

Last edited by Mr5150; 10-27-2017 at 09:39 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 09:41 AM

237 posts, read 120,124 times
If you don't mind moving south, Julian, California, in San Diego county, might be a good fit. And you would not be far from quality medical care with Scripps and Sharp medical groups.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,649 times
I don't miiind the coast. I just read that places like Crescent City are "prone" to tsunamis. I know its not likely/ "What are the odds?!". But, it only takes one tsunami. Hah.

Oooo! Idyllwild is good suggestion. I have friends who have vacationed there and really loved it. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess my brain just labeled it "vacation". Hmm..I'll look more into that. It would be nice to only be a few hours from LA and my family. I doubt my husband would mind giving up the acreage. Less for him to take care of. I don't mind the winter either aside from driving in it...but I can learn!

Prescott and Paradise both look nice too. Seems decently affordable from my super cursory RE search.

So much to consider!

Old 10-27-2017, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,649 times
And I guess me labeling Gold Country as "top" of CA is the southern CA native in me. I'm sorry! I looked at a map and it seemed quite North to me. But a quick GPS routing showed me it isn't actually all that far from LA. Its doable.

Hahah. Sorry I mislabeled it. Thanks for pointing it out Mr5150.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:39 PM

1,363 posts, read 885,378 times
Quote:
I don't miiind the coast. I just read that places like Crescent City are "prone" to tsunamis. I know its not likely/ "What are the odds?!". But, it only takes one tsunami. Hah.

Oooo! Idyllwild is good suggestion. I have friends who have vacationed there and really loved it. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess my brain just labeled it "vacation". Hmm..I'll look more into that. It would be nice to only be a few hours from LA and my family. I doubt my husband would mind giving up the acreage. Less for him to take care of. I don't mind the winter either aside from driving in it...but I can learn!

Prescott and Paradise both look nice too. Seems decently affordable from my super cursory RE search.

So much to consider!
Odds are low of a tsunami.....but, it could happen. Just as some areas are more susceptible to wildfires that could happen some day...next year, next decade.....
Regarding Crescent City, there is one frequent poster on this forum that lived there for a period of time.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:46 PM

7,463 posts, read 5,439,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
If you don't mind moving south, Julian, California, in San Diego county, might be a good fit. And you would not be far from quality medical care with Scripps and Sharp medical groups.
Pine Valley and Palomar Mountain would be other SD County options. Descanso, Alpine and even parts of Ramona might also work.

However, it's getting harder to find homes in Julian and these other areas for the poster's budget of under $300,000. They pop up from time to time, but usually they are going to be on the small side or have "issues."

The Northern Sierras would definitely have more and better options in her price range.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-27-2017 at 01:46 PM..

Old 10-27-2017, 02:18 PM

87,881 posts, read 81,672,970 times
Quote:

So much to consider!
Crescent City is not a good place. The town is run down, there's nothing to do, except walk on the beach or in the redwood parks, and it gets gale-force winds in some seasons. Farther south, in Humboldt, is a bit better. Ferndale is slightly inland, so it's a little warmer than right on the coast. But it sounds like you want to be closer to LA. I think you should be able to find something.

And yes, acreage does require tending, to some minimal extent, at least, depending. If you want a little oasis, a buffer from neighbors, 1/2 acre with some good planting to provide screens, should help.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:58 PM

OP, I am not familiar with southern California......So, I have no comments to offer about the area. I have only been in that area of the state once and it was long, long ago and I remember next to nothing about the area.....since I was a toddler during the visit there.
Regarding the Mother Lode/Gold Country, the weather there is less moderate then what you probably experienced over the years in the LA area. It can be rather hot in the summer and there is no coast within reasonable driving distance to escape to during those triple digit heat periods. Regarding the cost of real estate in that area, in general, I think the less affordable area is the northern section of the Gold Country....such as the area around Nevada City & Grass Valley.
If you just want a bit of a escape from the concrete jungle of LA, then you may have some viable options not all that great of a distance from your current area of residence. If you are looking for a bigger change in your life, then looking outside of the southern CA area may be the best option. I would suggest though, wherever draws your interest, to research the possibilities for work in your field in the area....I think it would be prudent to consider a area that several possibilities to secure a job in your field, within for you is a reasonable commute.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:06 PM

OP, here is a google street view link of a street in the downtown area of Sonora in the Gold Country. Just use your computer mouse to move about the different streets there. In the rather forested hills (specially toward the east) on the outskirts of Sonora are some homes.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/78...!4d-120.378826

one cautionary note is the crime in some areas of the Gold Country is a bit elevated.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Sonora-California.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Jackson-California.html

downtown Jackson

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2+...4d-120.7733625

Old 10-27-2017, 06:06 PM

9,301 posts, read 10,392,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
OP, here is a google street view link of a street in the downtown area of Sonora in the Gold Country. Just use your computer mouse to move about the different streets there. In the rather forested hills (specially toward the east) on the outskirts of Sonora are some homes.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/78...!4d-120.378826

one cautionary note is the crime in some areas of the Gold Country is a bit elevated.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Sonora-California.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Jackson-California.html

downtown Jackson

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2+...4d-120.7733625
I am quite familiar with Sonora. Nice place with lots to do and a regional hospital that placed in the top 25% in a 2014 survey. Below average crime with above average schools (nationwide).

The City Data link was a bit dated and somewhat inaccurate. Even had a picture from a town in Wisconsin. But bear in mind that the city of Sonora demographics and home prices do not reflect Tuolumne as a whole. Sonora is one of the more expensive parts of the county excluding those subdivisions with 5 acre lots and 3000sf homes.

Median home price for the county as a whole is $275K. and 5% of the population is Indian ( as the local "native Americans" prefer to be called).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California