U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 10:21 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,855,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
OP, here is a google street view link of a street in the downtown area of Sonora in the Gold Country. Just use your computer mouse to move about the different streets there. In the rather forested hills (specially toward the east) on the outskirts of Sonora are some homes.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/78...!4d-120.378826

one cautionary note is the crime in some areas of the Gold Country is a bit elevated.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Sonora-California.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Jackson-California.html

downtown Jackson

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2+...4d-120.7733625
I just checked the crime for Sonora on City Data and it is HIGH. A 621.0! What the heck is going on up there anyway?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 10:28 PM

667 posts, read 402,509 times
Paradise is a nice little town too. That's where I am now. But I will return back home when the apartment I am waiting for is ready. (Low income senior housing).

Old 10-30-2017, 10:36 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,458,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think she has two kids. That's a nice property. They'd have to convert the garage to fit the kids in. The main part of the house looks like a mobile home, but they disguised it well. It looks well-maintained.

I thought someone said Paradise was more affordable. And there are possibilities in Placerville, with a little luck.

I think the Nevada City/Grass Valley area is probably out of OP's price for something that would be acceptable to them.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:38 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,458,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
Paradise is a nice little town too. That's where I am now. But I will return back home when the apartment I am waiting for is ready. (Low income senior housing).
I recall at least one other poster on this forum that lives in Paradise and is happy with the area.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:52 AM

27,328 posts, read 15,853,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Grass Valley & Nevada City area seem a bit pricey going by the listings I have seen, compared to other areas in the Gold Country
It's an exceptionally beautiful area and 1 hr from Sacto is probably why.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:14 PM

777 posts, read 1,279,126 times
I have been looking at houses outside of towns trying to find a place with land and surrounded by trees, as well. If you are OK with a drive, most of what you will find is an hours drive from a major city. The Auberry area outside of Fresno, has some decent options for under $300k (that's also my limit). Go north a bit more Angels Camp/Volcano/etc, east of Stockton has some options. I don't know if snow is an issue to you though; b/c those areas get more snow than say, the Auberry area will.

I was recently looking at options in Oregon along the coast, and they have TONS of options for under $300k... NEAR THE BEACHES. I can't figure out why, but that is also an option if you consider moving back up there.

Also, not a ton of options, but there are some, is Shingletown, east of Redding. Really nice and forestry out there, but again, it's a drive to Redding and they do get quite the snow in the winters. Probably won't get a lot of land out there though. But the entirety of Redding itself, and even looking north into Shasta Lake City or Lakehead, or west to French Gulch/Weaverville, is worth a look. Redding itself though, does not have a great rep for a city though... lots of meth heads up there and generally really bored human beings that do stupid stuff and ruin the towns rep. I would personally look outside of it for a home. Also try Palo Cedro.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:50 PM

9,583 posts, read 7,238,353 times
I've been to Paradise a few times and it seems pretty nice. Close enough to Chico should you need that shopping.
Did the OP ever express what the medical needs of her husband are? I would imagine that might play a huge part in her decision.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:03 PM

6,118 posts, read 6,845,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogiHarps1 View Post
...Here's what were looking for...

-I'd like to buy a house with at least an acre or two of land. Lets stay under the $300k range, please!
Something you may consider, especially when your stated parameters are difficult to fulfill. Look for a much smaller parcel, but backed up against a National Forest or BLM land. Properties located such are always advertised with this 'feature'. This way, you just might find a $300K house, but with unlimited acreage.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-15-2018, 08:13 PM

81 posts, read 81,287 times
Default California's not cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogiHarps1 View Post
Hi! I'm a Los Angeles native (born and raised) looking to settle down elsewhere. I've lived all over but most enjoyed my times in Vermont and Oregon. These are not options for me now, so I'd like to live somewhere in California that kind of has the same vibes. My husband was recently diagnosised with a not-so-fun condition and probably has roughly 5-10years of quailty life left. We want to spend that time in an atomosphere more beautiful, peaceful, and chill than on current situation in the heart of Long Beach. My issue is that having lived in this concrete jungle so long, I don't know what CA has to offer in terms of mountain-like living. Heres what were looking for...

-I'd like to buy a house with at least an acre or two of land. Lets stay under the $300k range, please!

-I'd like access to work for my husband and I. I am a speech and language pathologist, so I can work almost anywhere theres a decent economy. My husband is works in unskilled labor (property maintainence, woodswork...).

-Somewhere relatively safe as we have two small children. It just shouldn't be sketchier than LA...which isn't a hard bill to fit.

-The people there shouldn't be spazzy about black folks or interracial marriages. I'm black, the husband's white. I just don't want to be somewhere where my kids have issues.

-And when I say "mountain"...I use the term super lightly...I just want to see more trees than I do concrete. And I want to be able to have land.

Thats about it. If you know of such a land...or something close, help a family out?! It'd be much appreciated.
I've always wanted something similar and often thought it would be in the Sierra. But property prices got way ahead of me. I'm assuming you have a lot of equity from your current residence and want to stay in the $300,000 range but that might be a tall order. One lovely area would be the Nevada City/Grass Valley area but it's more expensive. I found my own compromise in Humboldt County. It's five hours, however, to San Francisco and the U.C. medical center there. There is medical care in Humboldt County but it might not be what you need. Its selling points are that there are plenty of conservatives and liberals there. There are only 130,000 in the entire county. Eureka's population is about 28,000. Humboldt State University makes Arcata a wonderful, crazy, liberal tow--sort to the North Coast as Berkeley is to the Bay Area. But it's expensive property-wise. It's all next to the ocean. The area has 6 rivers and, within four hours, 5 wilderness areas. Rain is about 38"/year and many people from southern California have gotten depressed there. The coastal flood plain runs into forested hills and there are beautiful parks around.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:06 PM

81 posts, read 81,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
It is cooler, but not by much we still get quite a few triple digit days, that is when we head to the lake.
Almanor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California