U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 09:38 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,422,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
My sister still lives there. During the summer, she cannot go outside. Too windy, too hot, and her eyes burn. Sometimes she can't breathe. Its smoggy, nasty and unhealthy. But yeah..houses can be cheap. If you want to trade your health for a cheap house.
But the desert area of Kern County (the focusing topic of this thread) has cleaner air, no?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 09:40 PM

223 posts, read 176,035 times
High profile vehicles like semis can get blown over driving on 58 when it is windy enough. It’s windy enough to do that up there at least a few times a year. 30, 40, 50 mph winds are not super rare or anything.

Kern County as a whole is very affordable, but there is some crime. Some places are better than others, like everywhere. Again, commenting on the cities that you specifically named, Rosamond would be your best bet.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
But the desert area of Kern County has cleaner air, no?
The air in the Tehachapi pass, Mojave desert and up near Lake Isabella/Kernville is all going to be better than Bakersfield/Arvin/Lamont, etc..

Old 10-30-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
High profile vehicles like semis can get blown over driving on 58 when it is windy enough. It’s windy enough to do that up there at least a few times a year. 30, 40, 50 mph winds are not super rare or anything.

Kern County as a whole is very affordable, but there is some crime. Some places are better than others, like everywhere. Again, commenting on the cities that you specifically named, Rosamond would be your best bet.
What area in the Kern County desert area would you say is the worst, in your opinion?

Old 10-30-2017, 09:57 PM

667 posts, read 341,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
The air in the Tehachapi pass, Mojave desert and up near Lake Isabella/Kernville is all going to be better than Bakersfield/Arvin/Lamont, etc..
This^^^
The valley is a dip. Surrounded on both sides with mountains. Air quality is bad in that valley. But, higher up it's not AS bad. Still bad though.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
What area in the Kern County desert area would you say is the worst, in your opinion?
Going to go ahead and guess the Cal City, North Edwards, Boron stretch.
Not sure if I’ve ever heard anything good about them.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:50 PM

13,694 posts, read 26,294,449 times
Quote:
Yet another area of California that I'm interested to know more about, and that is the desert area of Kern County.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't get quite as baking hot as the SoCal low desert and Death Valley, correct?

Cities/towns/unincorporated communities in the Kern County desert area include:

Ridgecrest, California City, Rosamond, Mojave, Inyokern, Boron, North Edwards, Aerial Acres, Indian Wells, Johannesburg, Randsburg, and China Lake.

There's also the ghost town of Atolia. Are there any others in the Kern County desert area?

I checked the real estate prices for Boron and Mojave on Realtor and Zillow, and Boron seems to be the cheapest in the Kern County desert area.

So, what can you guys tell me about each of them? What are they like? What about the quality of life, cost of living, annual income, crime, etc.?

Any answers, insights, and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Atolia is in San Bernardino County, it is just south of Red Mountain, which is in San Bernardino County as well.

Quote:
Actually, Trona is located in San Bernardino County, roughly 25 miles southeast of Ridgecrest.
Trona is northeast of Ridgecrest.

One could make an argument to include the eastern Kern River Valley towns in this group, i.e. Onyx, Weldon, etc.

Here is my legendary thread regarding Ridgecrest from 2007:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ml#post1678094

That and everything else I've told you about it pretty much covers it.

Not quite as hot as the CV, and definitely for not as long. Ridgecrest is in the 110's for much of the summer. Not much below 90 at night generally.

My favorite parts are:
-unincorporated SE Ridgecrest
-the San Bernardino County portion with a Ridgecrest address
-Buttermilk/China Lake Acres
-Inyokern (I love me some Inyokern)
^ all of these are primarily trailers on dirt roads. So freaking appealing for some reason.
-Rosamond, though creeping suburbia is taking the appeal away
-Mojave, a dying truck stop town, but I love it
-Johannesburg, so peaceful, near the top of the surrounding hills/desert

California City absolutely sucks. I've never been to Boron proper (though Kramer Jct is reasonably close) or North Edwards, believe it or not. Same for Aerial Acres and Randsburg.

Indian Wells is for all intents/purposes Inyokern, but this place has awesome root beer next door, and chicken that tastes like it was literally slaughtered five minutes ago {yum} (wife took me there for my 23rd birthday, in a limo to boot).

And you Brandon will not get to China Lake without a military clearance, which is only given to those who have a legitimate reason to be there. I am not allowed to talk about what I've seen there (they make this pretty clear on your way in and out), but there are streets in the southern portion (as can be seen on satellite maps) which previously had housing on them, all of which was leveled at least two decades ago.

The culture in many of these towns is primarily derived from fairly to staunchly conservative White Americans (many of whom are also native-Californians), who range from working class to upper-middle class, with a skew toward the lower end (there are a lot of lower level jobs staffed by Whites in this area, something that you simply don't see in the rest of Southern California, which can be a surprise for some folks {I'm not trying to be politically incorrect or correct here, it's just the way it is}. There is a notable lack of Latinos in comparison to most of the rest of California, and a noted comparable lack of diversity overall (along with plenty of open racism).

It isn't nearly as religious or bible-thumping as you would think, and things that most of us would consider pretty taboo are a lot more tolerated than average IMO (alcoholism, sexual abuse, incest, physical abuse, general criminality, drugs, infidelity, broken homes). There is a ton of support for the military. Country music. Welfare, food stamps, section 8, and people living in trailers not terribly suitable for human habitation, and plenty of people with criminal records. But also a strong middle and fairly visible upper-middle class, including many with advanced educations.

Dirtbiking and riding ATV's is very popular. Watching football. Going to Lake Isabella to chill in a boat (or for a swim), or to a cabin in Kernville. Sledding at Walker Pass. Skiing in Mammoth if you're so inclined. Keggers. Going out to dinner, or for a trip to Lancaster/Palmdale, Bakersfield, or San Diego. Los Angeles only if you're particularly ambitious.

But mostly, just a lot of drinking.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:55 PM

Count David Aguilar, since your area of expertise is Ridgecrest and the surrounding areas, perhaps you can chime in and tell me about Ridgecrest, California City, Rosamond, Mojave, Inyokern, Boron, North Edwards, Aerial Acres, Indian Wells, Johannesburg, Randsburg, and/or China Lake.

I am waiting for your assessment.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Atolia is in San Bernardino County, it is just south of Red Mountain, which is in San Bernardino County as well.

Trona is northeast of Ridgecrest.

One could make an argument to include the eastern Kern River Valley towns in this group, i.e. Onyx, Weldon, etc.

Here is my legendary thread regarding Ridgecrest from 2007:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ml#post1678094

That and everything else I've told you about it pretty much covers it.

Not quite as hot as the CV, and definitely for not as long. Ridgecrest is in the 110's for much of the summer. Not much below 90 at night generally.

My favorite parts are:
-unincorporated SE Ridgecrest
-the San Bernardino County portion with a Ridgecrest address
-Buttermilk/China Lake Acres
-Inyokern (I love me some Inyokern)
^ all of these are primarily trailers on dirt roads. So freaking appealing for some reason.
-Rosamond, though creeping suburbia is taking the appeal away
-Mojave, a dying truck stop town, but I love it
-Johannesburg, so peaceful, near the top of the surrounding hills/desert

California City absolutely sucks. I've never been to Boron proper (though Kramer Jct is reasonably close) or North Edwards, believe it or not. Same for Aerial Acres and Randsburg.

Indian Wells is for all intents/purposes Inyokern, but this place has awesome root beer next door, and chicken that tastes like it was literally slaughtered five minutes ago {yum} (wife took me there for my 23rd birthday, in a limo to boot).

And you Brandon will not get to China Lake without a military clearance, which is only given to those who have a legitimate reason to be there. I am not allowed to talk about what I've seen there (they make this pretty clear on your way in and out), but there are streets in the southern portion (as can be seen on satellite maps) which previously had housing on them, all of which was leveled at least two decades ago.

The culture in many of these towns is primarily derived from fairly to staunchly conservative White Americans (many of whom are also native-Californians), who range from working class to upper-middle class, with a skew toward the lower end (there are a lot of lower level jobs staffed by Whites in this area, something that you simply don't see in the rest of Southern California, which can be a surprise for some folks {I'm not trying to be politically incorrect or correct here, it's just the way it is}. There is a notable lack of Latinos in comparison to most of the rest of California, and a noted comparable lack of diversity overall (along with plenty of open racism).

It isn't nearly as religious or bible-thumping as you would think, and things that most of us would consider pretty taboo are a lot more tolerated than average IMO (alcoholism, sexual abuse, incest, physical abuse, general criminality, drugs, infidelity, broken homes). There is a ton of support for the military. Country music. Welfare, food stamps, section 8, and people living in trailers not terribly suitable for human habitation, and plenty of people with criminal records. But also a strong middle and fairly visible upper-middle class, including many with advanced educations.

Dirtbiking and riding ATV's is very popular. Watching football. Going to Lake Isabella to chill in a boat (or for a swim), or to a cabin in Kernville. Sledding at Walker Pass. Skiing in Mammoth if you're so inclined. Keggers. Going out to dinner, or for a trip to Lancaster/Palmdale, Bakersfield, or San Diego. Los Angeles only if you're particularly ambitious.

But mostly, just a lot of drinking.
Oops! Never mind, you already did.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:00 PM

13,694 posts, read 26,294,449 times
Quote:
Oops! Never mind, you already did.
Hahah, I was going to say, look up at my post from 10 min ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California