Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:25 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,102,319 times

Advertisements

Yet another area of California that I'm interested to know more about, and that is the desert area of Kern County.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't get quite as baking hot as the SoCal low desert and Death Valley, correct?

Cities/towns/unincorporated communities in the Kern County desert area include:

Ridgecrest, California City, Rosamond, Mojave, Inyokern, Boron, North Edwards, Aerial Acres, Indian Wells, Johannesburg, Randsburg, and China Lake.

There's also the ghost town of Atolia. Are there any others in the Kern County desert area?

I checked the real estate prices for Boron and Mojave on Realtor and Zillow, and Boron seems to be the cheapest in the Kern County desert area.

So, what can you guys tell me about each of them? What are they like? What about the quality of life, cost of living, annual income, crime, etc.?

Any answers, insights, and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 08:11 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,049,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Yet another area of California that I'm interested to know more about, and that is the desert area of Kern County.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't get quite as baking hot as the SoCal low desert and Death Valley, correct?

Cities/towns/unincorporated communities in the Kern County desert area include:

Ridgecrest, California City, Rosamond, Mojave, Inyokern, Boron, North Edwards, Aerial Acres, Indian Wells, Johannesburg, Randsburg, and China Lake.

There's also the ghost town of Atolia. Are there any others in the Kern County desert area?

I checked the real estate prices for Boron and Mojave on Realtor and Zillow, and Boron seems to be the cheapest in the Kern County desert area.

So, what can you guys tell me about each of them? What are they like? What about the quality of life, cost of living, annual income, crime, etc.?

Any answers, insights, and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Dude, you left out Trona despite the fact it is there.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Dude, you left out Trona despite the fact it is there.
Actually, Trona is located in San Bernardino County, roughly 25 miles southeast of Ridgecrest.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:40 PM

234 posts, read 299,360 times
Rosamond, Mojave, Cal City, North Edwards and Boron all surround Edwards AFB and Mojave Air and Space Port. Those are likely the two biggest employers for those cities. Because of Edwards, there is a presence of active duty Air Force types in the area.

It does get very hot and also very windy in these areas.

Red Rock Canyon State Park is a cool spot to visit which is about 20 minutes north of Mojave off of the 14. Not just the park, but also some good spots to go ATVing in that area.

Rosamond has a surprisingly nice exotic cat conservation center. Worth the ticket. Rosamond also has a pretty cool racetrack that you can race motorcycles on.

Tehachapi is a cool little mountain town that gets some snow in the winter, easy 20 minutes drive north from Rosamond or 20 minute drive west from Mojave. These towns also have a super easy straight shot to Vegas.

Any shopping that you need to do at places like Walmart or Costco can be done in Lancaster/Palmdale very easily. I think Rosamond would be the best place to live out of the few I mentioned. Don’t know much about the others you listed, sorry. There is a Navy Base at China Lake near Ridgecrest though.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:55 PM

671 posts, read 442,131 times
Tehachapi is a nice town. HIgh enough to get snow but close enough to Rosamond (desert). Lots of apples and pears grown there, too. I lived in Tehachapi in the 80's and loved it. Beats Bakersfield and Lancaster.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
Rosamond, Mojave, Cal City, North Edwards and Boron all surround Edwards AFB and Mojave Air and Space Port. Those are likely the two biggest employers for those cities. Because of Edwards, there is a presence of active duty Air Force types in the area.

It does get very hot and also very windy in these areas.

Red Rock Canyon State Park is a cool spot to visit which is about 20 minutes north of Mojave off of the 14. Not just the park, but also some good spots to go ATVing in that area.
Whoa!... Just HOW windy can these areas get?

Old 10-30-2017, 09:12 PM

Very windy. EXTREMELY windy. And Bakersfield is the armpit of the USA.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
Very windy. EXTREMELY windy. And Bakersfield is the armpit of the USA.
From what I heard, the entirity of Kern County seems to be reasonably priced.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:29 PM

For an armpit, sure it is.

Bakersfield is listed as the WORST city..ANYwhere. This includes detroit, cleveland, st louis, etc. WORST city in the USA. For a reason. It's an armpit.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:30 PM

My sister still lives there. During the summer, she cannot go outside. Too windy, too hot, and her eyes burn. Sometimes she can't breathe. Its smoggy, nasty and unhealthy. But yeah..houses can be cheap. If you want to trade your health for a cheap house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California